Lit Banite Sith

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SaucySarlaac, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Corvax855 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    As far as authors go, I'd like to see a woman write the novel of Zannah/Cognus, maybe Karen Traviss. Who better than a female author to pen the novel about two female Sith? Sure, guys like Luceno and Karpyshyn could pull it off, but I think a female author could bring some more "outside the box" elements to the Sith/dark side, especially for this particular story.
    Last edited by Corvax855, Feb 16, 2013
  2. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm all in favor of having the 900 years of the Baneite Sith fleshed out with the tidbits from Essential Guide to Warfare and The Book of Sith acting as guides or focal points.
  3. The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I want a novel about Dooku's life so bad.
    General Immodet likes this.
  4. FatSmel Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    thank you so much

the internet would be a terrible place without the typo police
  5. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    ugh everyone "Banite" sounds awful, seriously just say it out loud, its an ugly clunky word, say "Baneist" instead ok? ok cool
  6. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Well if we get to make up our own, I'm going for "Bane Gesserit".
  7. SaucySarlaac Jedi Knight

star 1
    I do not have the EGTW yet, what does it say the Banite Sith are up to?
  8. FatSmel Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    But Banite is the correct term to describe the Banite sith. Why would you call the Banite sith something other than Banite. Banite.
    SaucySarlaac likes this.
  9. SaucySarlaac Jedi Knight

star 1
    indeed. Banite is correct, Banite it is. :)
  10. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    AFAIK, it's only the correct term because it was so pervasively used in the fandom that they eventually ran with it (goodness, the power we have!). Trip is old, and has been fighting against "Banite" as long as I can remember... long before the word appeared in any official source.

At least I think that's how it went.

EDIT: Actually, if someone could clear this up and remind me when "Banite" first appeared in a source, I'd be mighty grateful. I'm pretty sure it was in Darth Plagueis, but I don't actually recall any others before that. Maybe it's been in use since forever and I'm just ignorant?

EDIT 2: Crickey, my spelling/grammar is atrocious today. Seriously. "Greatful", wtf, Uli?
    Last edited by Ulicus, Feb 18, 2013
  11. SaucySarlaac Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Banite" is used in Darth Plagueis, correct. I am not aware of the originals of the term or its distateful reputation amoungst those on here. However, its used in the novel so it it is now and official term.
  12. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    It doesn't have a distasteful reputation "amongst those on here". Just @, probably.
    RC-1991 likes this.
  13. SaucySarlaac Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm not trying to be provocative, the opposite in fact by saying the opinion may be shared by many not just one person, as I do not know that for sure, no offence intended ulicus
  14. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    None was taken in the first place. :p

Wasn't my intention to come across all defensive-like. Probably should have thrown in a smiley. Mea culpa.
    SaucySarlaac likes this.
  15. FatSmel Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    wow it's just a word.
    like, who cares, nomsayin?
  16. SithLord_1270 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    That would be a goo idea. Showing how different Dark Lords contributed to the grand plan.
  17. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4

That's along the lines of what I'm hoping for. Starting with Darth Zannah and Darth Cognus, we get a summary of what happened during the years leading up to Cognus taking the mantle. Then we see Cognus getting her apprentice. Then the cycle would repeat. The only exceptions would be a chapter or story focusing on Darth Millennial or any other Sith lord who made a significant impact on the order or the galaxy.
  18. Corvax855 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Judging from the Bane novels (and to a lesser extent, Plagueis) there seems to be a rock-paper-scissors thing going on with the Banite Sith in regard to how the Sith apprentice eventually takes out the Sith Master.

For example, Bane was a martial juggernaut that could only be taken out by Zannah's Sith Sorcery. She stood no chance against him physically. Cognus, on the other hand, has the unique ability to disrupt Force usage, which seems to be exactly what you'd need to take out Zannah. I assume she only became better at using that talent, to the point where she might be able to completely negate someone's ability to use the Force. If Cognus could prevent Zannah from using sorcery, I think she had the lethal, assassin-based techniques (as evidenced in DoE) to kill her, despite Zannah's skill in Soresu. If I had to guess, I think this is how Cognus will eventually wrest the mantle of Sith Master from Zannah.

As for Cognus, it's obvious that whoever ends up becoming her true apprentice (remember, Millennial fled from her) will have to use more warrior or martial-based skills to defeat her, because any Force-based talent would be negated. Ironically, it will probably be someone more like Bane; a physical juggernaut who uses brute Force rather than a lot of Force techniques.
    Zorrixor, CT-867-5309 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  19. Darth Xalfrea Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm all for another anthology book, especially if it's about the Banite Sith.

Besides Luceno, Drew and Stover, perhaps the guy who wrote Lost Tribe of the Sith can be part of it.
    Zorrixor likes this.
  20. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    that's mostly right, except that I'm pretty sure I originally popularized the term Banite on accident because I was dumb and couldn't think of a more euphonious word, until I did (Baneist d'oh), but by the time I did everyone was all Banite Banite Banite and I was like oh god what have I done :(
    Ulicus likes this.
  21. Sable_Hart Force Ghost

star 4
    No. I think that a novel about the pre-Plagueis Sith would be superfluous, much less multiple novels. A short story? Perhaps. Or an entry in some sort of compendium (an updated guide to the Force [or the dark side]). And while I'm all for well-written contributions that depart from the overplayed galactic theater, I don't think an entertaining premise can be created without disrupting continuity further.
    Ulicus likes this.
  22. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    [IMG]

= YOU
    Zorrixor likes this.
  23. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    yes that is pretty much exactly what I looked like when I saw this thread
  24. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    To be honest I'm not very interested in the Banite Sith. Bane and Zannah were kinda interesting, Palpatine and Plagueis was old coffee for me. Its always the same. Scheming, plotting, overthrowing the master, taking replacement apprentices, preparing the grand plan. Yawn.

I'd rather read more about the Sith from Daimans and Odions time. Some of these Sith are not interested in absolute power but have other motives (interesting), there's this huge family feud going on (interesting) and pretty much every Lord is the leader of a unique little world of their own (interesting).
  25. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    For the record, I think Baneist sounds very silly out loud. Banite works much better.