Lit Comic Book Scrolling Texts

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedik_801, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jedik_801 Jedi Knight

I really liked how back in the day Dark Horse would use the scrolling text to setup their SW stories. In collecting nearly all the TPB, I never knew until much later that the individual issues also had them, with slightly different text on each one. I was wondering which issues overall used this method (asides from DE trilogy & TOTJ) and around what time did it stop. I really miss it.
    General Immodet likes this.
  2. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    Same here, and it annoys me that the ones from Dark Empire were omitted in the most recent TPBs and the hardcover. The same with those from the Thrawn Trilogy comics, also omitted from the hardcover omnibus.
  3. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Those were cool. Most comics have that little summary blurb at the beginning, but those had a unique SW twist to them, which was awesome. Those I took the time to read; nowadays with the current format, not so much.
  4. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I like that they tried, but they kind of got carried away if you ask me. I seem to recall DE's being basically a full page of text.
  5. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    SotE had a good opening crawl, and I used its cadence as a basis for an opening crawl I wrote for an audio adaptation of Yavin Vassilika, which didn't have an opening crawl whatsoever.
  6. General Immodet Force Ghost

star 4
    Indeed! They should publish more comics and novels with an opening crawl.
    That is one of the main reason why I do not like TCW. No opening crawl, can you even believe it?
  7. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    Everyone opening crawl for DE was pretty long. The one for the TPB was super long and I'm pretty sure the individual issues were pretty long too. They were trying to catch readers up for 6 years of continuity when just the last couple paragraphs dealing specifically with the establishment of the New Republic, Thrawn and the Imperial invasion of Coruscant would have been sufficient. I still like them.
  8. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    It could have just been "The Emperor is back. Oh ****!"
    instantdeath likes this.
  9. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    They have an opening crawl, sort of. It's entirely audio, but it is an opening crawl.
  10. General Immodet Force Ghost

star 4
    I know, but in my opinion it does not feel like an actual SW opening crawl.
    I most certainly hope the new SW movies will have an opening crawl. Otherwise it will not be "SW"...

Hey, some of the Kyle Katarn games also had an opening crawl! I liked them very much...
  11. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    TCW isn't supposed to feel like an opening crawl, despite being in the spirit of it. It's supposed to feel like a WWII Newsreel narration.
  12. jedik_801 Jedi Knight

Wow. Just a little off-topic (more like to the side.) I was wondering when they stopped doing the scrolling text in the comics. And also I believe the old West End Games sourcebooks did some, too. For such episodic fare like TCW is, the scroll doesn't really seem necessary. It only seems worthwhile when covering a saga (the films) or story arc (comic series).
  13. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, the Opening crawl of the movies is a lot like a newsreel narration, if you read it out loud. It just would feel a tad off to have an announcer for the big epic movies, while Clone Wars is more like the newsreels of the war than the big epic segments that the movies represent.
  14. KamSolusar Force Ghost

star 2
    Other comic books with opening crawls I know are:
    • Crimson Empire (1997-98)
    • Crimson Empire II - Council of Blood (1998-99)
    • Dark Force Rising (1997)
    • Jedi Council: Acts of War (2000)
    • Shadows of the Empire (1996)
    • Shadows of the Empire - Evolution (1998)
    • The Last Command (1997-98)
  15. jedik_801 Jedi Knight

Great list, Kam. (Still a shame your Lightsider bio book never came out :)) Just the info I was looking for. I was about to ask also about the scrolling texts for the WEG books but I believe I have all those, at least the ones that were based on the books.
    Last edited by jedik_801, Feb 23, 2013
  16. The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost

star 4
    Me too! I hope they have lasers and spaceships, as well.
    Last edited by The_Phantom_Calamari, Feb 23, 2013