Lit Diversity Special: Goran and Medrit

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 12, 2013.

?

IF YOU HAVE READ LOTF: At what point did you realize that Goran and Medrit were a gay couple?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2013.
During Sacrifice - Medrit's first appearance 8 vote(s) 20.5%
During Revelation - Medrit's second appearance 8 vote(s) 20.5%
Heard about it elsewhere after having finished both books 14 vote(s) 35.9%
Wait, Goran and Medrit are gay? 3 vote(s) 7.7%
Heard about it elsewere after finishing the first book but before reading the second 6 vote(s) 15.4%
  1. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I was joking. But I'd really like to hear your answer to this--do you still like Dumbledore despite the fact that you found out later he was gay?
  2. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, but I also don't know what to think.
  3. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    So, that being said, wouldn't it be fair to say that you only really object to bad characters--that sexual orientation is irrelevant as long as they're written well?
  4. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
  5. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Congratulations--you now agree with the rest of us. =D=
    Contessa, Ulicus and Mia Mesharad like this.
  6. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    me too dude

meeee too
  7. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    That, and the fact that "girlfriend" is often used to describe female platonic friends.
  8. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Totally not having the above conversation all over again, but I would like to @ @ @ on this.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Feb 19, 2013
  9. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Come to #eu more often and we will explain, Coop :p
  10. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Dude we were joking. Come to #eu to find out why.
  11. The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Bringing up the Halo short story Dirt is really making me wish that Tobias Buckell writes a SW novel someday. His Halo works have a ton of diversity: first gay characters in the Haloverse, two black Spartan-II's, a lot of hispanic characters. Plus he is an excellent author to boot.

Halo in general has a lot of really good diversity outside of the games. Where else could you find a name like Zhao Heng Lopez?
  12. Mechalich Force Ghost

star 4
    Reflecting further, I think some of the 'missing it' quotient has to do with how minor these characters, particularly Medrit, actually are, and how LotF is structured. While Goran has a fairly substantial role in the Boba Fett parts of LofT, he has essentially no role outside of them, and that entire plotline connects only tangetially to the rest of what is happening in the whole blasted galaxy during those nine novels. Medrit is, by comparison, a tiny character and I would suspect that, were he not elevated to greater significance by being part of the first Star Wars gay couple most of us wouldn't remember anything about him whatsoever. We are talking about someone who plays a moderate supporting role in 2 of 9 novels after all, and is basically part of a massive subplot.

It also doesn't help that LotF is, you know, pretty lousy as a story. I can recall many obscure characters from lesser known Star Wars works, but those are mostly ones that were good enough for me to read multiple times at least in part, and LotF is not on that list. So I chose the heard about it elsewhere option, but it is entirely possible I did notice the first time, but ascribed no real significance to the issue (and it has zero plot relevance or character development relevance) and promptly forgot about it by the time I moved on to Invincible.
    MistrX likes this.
  13. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Having woken up to a litany of PMs, I retract my previous statement.

Well not my statement, really, but my tags.

Ackbar is totally trans, is what I'm saying.
  14. TychoCorde Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm interested to see who else you feel has been alluded to as being homosexual? I have my suspicions also.
  15. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Personally I think very few have been deliberately alluded to as gay, but a whole bunch could easily be established that way. Didn't someone mention Hobbie and Janson a while back?
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Feb 20, 2013
  16. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Does this mean Wackbar counts as slash fic?
    Rogue_Follower likes this.
  17. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    I think Coop means Ackbar hatched female and then got it fixed, so no. :p Though honestly I dunno if transsexualism would even be a thing in mon cals, what with them being fish and all. (yes I know Coop is not being at all serious anyway : P)

@ - Stackpole definitely implies something about them; at least twice he includes a Wes/Hobbie scene in a montage of Couples Doing Things (Union and the final arc of X-Wing: Rogue Squadron, iirc). But it's hard to tell if he meant to imply they're a couple seriously, ironically, or if he was actually going for a heterosexual-BFFs-who-can't-get-laid vibe.
  18. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Even if he wasn't, that doesn't mean they can't be nudged in one direction or another. [face_mischief]
  19. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The power of retcons.
  20. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Allston has stated that they like to cuddle.

He also said that Sharr (from Mercy Kill) is gay, but it's not actually canon since it wasn't stated outright in the book. But that's his authorial interpretation/intent.
  21. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    oh yeah I've assumed Hobbie and Janson were a couple since forever. Figuring out how aware Stackpole is of his own subtext is just one my favorite hobbies. :p
  22. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    More or less aware than KJA, I wonder?
  23. Mirax Terrik Chosen One

star 5
    Janson being gay would explain his incessant flirting.
  24. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    He is also mentioned to be a way to snappy dresser and rather well groomed at pretty much all the time, though there is the time he slept with a female Bothan and he seemed to be genuinely into Jaina during their first encounter in the Vong War.
  25. Mirax Terrik Chosen One

star 5
    They were under a spell of some sort with the Bothans. He got slapped for it later.