Lit Era Markers Before Yavin?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Zandalor, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    It's been established that dating in Star Wars is based around massive, Galaxy changing events, such as the Battle of Yavin. Which is why we have stuff like BBY and ABY to mark the years around the flashpoint.

I'm curious what other flashpoints might be used in-universe. The most obvious one I can think of is the Battle of Ruusan, which would be marked as BBR and ABR. It marked the end of the hundred year darkness and the final defeat of the Sith as a large force.

Apart from these two flashpoints however, I'm at a loss. What other calendar or era dates might be considered significant enough to characterize their particular time frames?
  2. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Well there was the Great ReSynchronization of 35 BBY. Why that date? IU, I have no idea, OOU it was probably convenient. Also as of TOR the Treaty of Coruscant was used as a new 0 point, with the monikers BTC and ATC. The Wook also says Palps may have made 19 BBY a new 0 date.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule Force Ghost

star 4
    Actually, I believe OOU it was originally the date for the end of the Clone Wars from some WEG sources, and only became the "Great ReSynchronization" in the HoloNet News website around the time AOTC was released.

Personally I've always wondered why time IU isn't measured from the creation of the Republic. It seems like such a logical starting point.
  4. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, the Republic has been shattered and reformed a few times, notably the Ruusaan reformation, which IIRC is one Date marker.
  5. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    I would not really be surprised if the Hutts used 25,096 BBY as some kind of date marker and of course the end of the Hutt Cataclysms. The Tion propely still has 25,130 BBY as very important year. Hapes 4,030 BBY or the year when they formed the consortium some 1000 years later.