Lit Explaining the EU to Normal People

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Dec 12, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I used to be a comic book reader. Bringing back the dead is what made me a non-comic book reader.
  2. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    It certainly doesn't help matters that the revolving door has made its way to other mediums. When it comes to killing off characters, it's best to kill off incidental characters who would have a fighting chance of staying dead. Offing them in the most mundane way possible also helps. Though, we've seen with Fett that such a thing matters not. Same with Maul. Obviously, if being bifurcated and tossed down a shaft is survivable, then let's bring back Jango Fett! Decapitation is but a flesh wound!

When Heaven has a revolving door, the concept of death in fiction no longer has any meaning. It lacks impact. Instead of dying and staying dead, characters are dead-until-we-bring-them-back, usually with some flimsy excuse for their resurrection, or simply no explanation at all, in the case of Maul. I could go into explicit detail of the organ systems that would have been damaged, if not irreparably, but unless people want me to, I shall refrain. I will say this, though: Spider-crab Maul will be pooping in a bag for the rest of his Force-forsaken life.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    It'd be even better to have the balls to keep them dead.
    anakinfansince1983 and TrakNar like this.
  4. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    When death becomes transient, it removes one of the biggest stakes from a writer's toolbox.
  5. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    You need to read other comics! In those comics, dead is indeed dead!
  6. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Which ones are those? It's surely not DC or Marvel.
  7. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Most of the time, but not always!

For Marvel Garth Ennis' Punisher Max run is a case in point, similarly dead villains in DC's Jonah Hex do not return, they are simply replaced by living ones that then (mostly) get offed by Hex.

Then going further afield, off the top of my mind:

Franco-Belgian stories - IR$, Scorpion, Thorgal, XIII
    2000AD: Dredd - numerous dead non-returning characters here, ABC Warriors, Stickleback, Nikolai Dante (save for 1 killer exception) Sinister Dexter, Strontium Dog, Zombo
    Vertigo: 100 Bullets, Scalped, Preacher, The Losers
    Icon: Criminal, Powers
    Image: Fell, Chew, Elephantmen
    Independents - Gravel, Metabarons, Jennifer Blood, Battlefields, Grimjack
    Brit stuff: Johnny Red, Charley's War, Grandeville

I'd add the above list is far from exhaustive and spans numerous genres.#

Basically, depart from the superhero genre and its close allies and all bets are off!
    Last edited by Jedi Ben, Dec 24, 2012
  8. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Invincible. Walking Dead. Y.
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Perhaps, however we really can't technically prove that they will never bring them back in the future ;)
  10. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    By the virtue that the bulk of those stories are creator-owned and have a definite end point - I can! ;)

EDIT: If you enjoy comics you ought to check them out, if nothing else it'll be fun.
    Last edited by Jedi Ben, Dec 24, 2012
  11. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    I'll add to also look at Coop's recommendations, with Invincible being a rare case of a superhero book that rewrites the rulebook for superheroes such as it is.
  12. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I'd add Watchmen to the superhero roster as well - yeah, they're going against his wishes and expanding on it at the moment, but whatever else happens, I don't think they'd be so stupid as to bring anyone back to life.
  13. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Watchmen's one of those technically brilliant stories that leaves me cold Coop, I can appreciate the artistry involved - and Gibbons does great imagery - but overall, it's not one of those stories I'd class myself as a fan of. But yeah, probably ought to be in the growing list - which'll expand quite a bit if we keep going!
  14. son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost

star 4
    Dan DiDio is involved. Just give it time.
  15. DarthApprentice Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Most of my friends who ask about SW know something of the EU, but the ones who are actaully interested enough to ask, will not realize there is so much involved. Usually goes something like:
    "So I heard about Han and Leia having kids. Can you elaborate?"
    "How much time do you have?"
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Aren't they all prequels?
  17. son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost

star 4
    For now. They've been talking about a sequel for some time now.
  18. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Nicely done. lol
  19. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    That's not a good idea. I think the ending was pretty much a good place for "The End".
  20. fett 4 Chosen One

star 4
    Going even further Saruman even monologued the whole plot for Obi-wan at 1 point (though from his perspective I am still not sure why he would do this) and the jedi still seemed clueless!

Its funny you mention juvenile takes, as I have always felt it ironic that the Clone Wars TV show designed for "juveniles" does a more adult, believable and sympathetic take on the whole PT saga than all 3 prequel films.
  21. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I read lots of comics in where dead is indeed dead. I was just speaking in general terms. I know not all comics are like that. ;)
  22. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    This discussion makes me think of Season 1 of Heroes. I thought it was brilliant - a lot of characters died.

Then they brought them all back to life in the first episode of Season 2.........talk about a let down.
  23. cthugha Force Ghost

star 3
    I only just realized the insane glory of this sentence... if you don't mind I think I'll have to give that (sans context) to my students sometime and ask them to come up with a context where it actually makes sense. 8-}
    lazykbys_left and TrakNar like this.
  24. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Thanks. There's a general tendency to equate superheroics as the entirety of comics. It's an outlook I tend to object to purely because the medium offers so much more than a single genre or bag of tricks. SW is probably best dubbed pulp SF where villains return from the dead - perhaps on the basis of we didn't see a body, therefore no death, though I know you can have a corpse and still death may not take, twas' an imposter or other illusion!
  25. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Though, as a superhero series, some resurrections would be expected - but all? Does seem like overplaying the hand so to speak.

My wife loved Heroes, I couldn't get into it at all, I think the problem, unlike my wife, was I was very familiar with the concepts therefore it didn't come across as all that.