Lit Explaining the EU to Normal People

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Dec 12, 2012.

1. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Tim Kring is a monster.
  2. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    More adult? Have you ever watched the show?
    Zeta1127 likes this.
  3. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Damn right. Honestly, there's not that much of a story you can tell after Watchmen. The whole point of the original ending, in my opinion, was to allow the reader to make their own assumptions of what was going to happen.

And besides, Watchmen without Rorschach?
  4. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Back to the original topic...

Earlier tonight, I was asked to provide some insight into the top three news stories from this year that have affected me the most. I couldn't provide three, but I provided one, that one being the Disney buyout. In my explanation on why that had the most impact, I mentioned the EU, but termed it as the "novels, comics, games, and role-playing systems." This was perhaps the most "normal" explanation I could think of, the shortest, most concise explanation that I could use for a "normal" media venue, that venue being a journalism publication.

Unfortunately, I know that even that explanation still leaves so many more questions to be answered. But, I chose that because I lacked the time and space to go off on a wild tangent and I needed to explain the EU quickly and cleanly. Hopefully that does the trick.
  5. Darth Xalfrea Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Around tomorrow I'm gonna be showcasing the Essential Reader's Companion to one of my workplace's frequent customers who's also a diehard Star Wars fan. At the very least he has a summary of the pre-2013 novel EU.
  6. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, there's this episode of TCW you might want to avoid, it's entitled Brothers.
  7. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    I don't mind resurrections in comic books, overmuch, unless the prior death story was really, really good and undoing it would be a crime.

What bugs me about comic books is "comic book time". I'd rather characters lived in a normal time stream, grew old, and passed on their mantle. This whole "all the origins happened 'ten years ago', whenever 'ten years ago' was" thing drives me up the wall.
  8. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Which is why you ought to read other comics Ulicus!
  9. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't try to explain becuase most think its just another star trek. In fact, I'm going further here, some of the people I have talked to have balked at the idea of another star wars movie. Yet, when it comes to star trek they seamed more open about it. And about the clone wars, well wether you like it or not, not too many people know about and some of the poeple at my comic book store rather watch Avengers, Ultimate Spiderman heck even Tron Uprising than the Clone Wars cartoon series
  10. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    My comic guy has read almost as much EU as me, yet he loves TCW and can't fathom why I'd be interested in Superior Spider-Man.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Jan 2, 2013
  11. DarthApprentice Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    One of my coworkers just asked me to delve into the EU as he's heard me talk about it to another coworker who is into SW almost as much as I am. He chose to start with the Bane trilogy. A very nice starting point, IMO. He wants to get through "as many of the books as you have." I told him that would take years...
  12. Kyris Cavisek Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I am a young-in on here. Fresh out of college. That being said, I used to volunteer in high school with a Big Brother type program. Got a little nerdy kid with anger issues. His reward for behaving was getting to borrow a EU book from my collection. Then all of his friends at Boy Scouts wanted to read as well. I donated all of my duplicates to the scout troop and created probably another 6 readers there. Now that original boy just called to tell me he got his Eagle Scout.

Then while I was in Basic. I kept a notebook in my pocket, where I wrote fanfic just to keep my mind from breaking... It dealt with Valin Horn, Syal Antilles, Doran Tainer... ect... A few good friends would read it... One would constantly point out my grammatical errors. (Turns out no better spell check at Basic than a Private with nothing else to do.) After my weekend pass, a deep search through the rulebook and a quick trip to Barnes and Noble. I came packed with the first X Wing book, Star Wars: Invasion (for me), Republic Commando: Hard Contact, and I,Jedi. Had no problem convincing the drill sergeant it was military as he has an Imperial Crest Tattoo on his arm where a Unit Crest should be... Anyways... There are quite a few more EU fans from that. I know my one friend is deployed right now. He gets a new book sent over with every care package from his family... He too started with the Bane series, then skipped to Thrawn, X Wing and NJO... The best way to have a friend that likes to talk Star Wars is take a friend and give him a free book when he has nothing better to do
  13. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    just get them to read the glove of darth vader. they'll want to know more. don't show them the rest of the post rotj eu, it only goes down from their.
  14. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    I wish I did have a friend in real life I can talk to about the Expanded Universe. I have friends who have watched the movies and played the games but that is it. It would be nice to be able to go in-depth
    Jedi_Glover likes this.
  15. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    The only people I know around here play Yu-Gi-Oh.
  16. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    I remember those days. The original series anyway. 5th grade. those were the days
  17. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    I pretty much over the years developed a way to summarize the EU in twenty minutes.
  18. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    It takes you 20 minutes? o_O
  19. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    I go into detail.
  20. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    I believe it's called a floating timeline. It's annoying to see Homer as a parody of Kurt Cobain in a flashback to the 1990s when I was watching The Simpsons in the early 90s. SORRY TO QUOTE A SEVEN MONTH OLD POST BUT IT HAD TO BE DONE.
    Last edited by DigitalMessiah, Aug 16, 2013
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Me and my wife recently watched ROTJ. I'd say we got through most of it pretty painlessly, (meaning I didn't have to explain too much) until the whole scene where Luke takes off Vader's helmet and she says...."I thought Darth Vader was a black guy!!!"

I mean, how do you respond to that!? No really, I understand where she was going with it, and on some levels (like maybe a first date sort of thing) it would have possibly even been kinda cute. But seriously, I had no words at the time.
  22. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4

:eek: How? What? How? How would she get that conclusion? :confused:
  23. Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Uhh...she thought it was James Earl Jones in the suit. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spell it out...??
  24. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay. I can see that now but anyone with any knowledge of Star Wars has seen Anakin once.
  25. Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    My wife is not even a casual SW fan. She remembers seeing the OT as a kid, but kind of lost touch since then. She has seen all the movies, but like most girls who think SW is completely dork stuff (her opinion not mine), she doesn't pay the closest attention to the details....obviously.