Lit Star Wars #2: In the Shadow of Yavin, part 2 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Feb 13, 2013.

1. TrandoJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Just finished reading the second issue! I'm so glad my New Yours Resolution was to buy comics! This series is fantastic. Love the "classified" task force Leia has created. The Black X-Wings were flipping sweet! I wonder if the flight-suits on the cover is what they will be using. The Trandoshan pilot Rus Kal Kin was awesome I hope his character grows. Definitely don't trust Prithi, something was being implied with that look.

Boba chasing someone is awesome as usual. Looking forward to Han and Chewie's adventures on Coruscant.
  2. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    This series is worth getting for the art alone. I'm liking the story so far, too. I like our familiar faces working aside a few new Rebels.
  3. AdmiralWesJanson Chosen One

star 5
    Kuat probably licensed the design of the Interceptor from Sienar for production at Kuat. They have the shipyard capacity, and most KDY designs are meant to carry TIE series craft, so why not build their own there for convenience?
  4. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    I tried to get the first issue but it was sold out, so now I guess I'll have to wait until the Trade PB unless I want to jump in, in the middle :( How's Luke portrayed this far in the series? After CoO I desperately hope for some good characterization!
  5. ShanOffirin Force Ghost

star 2
    The Trandoshan is actually a Saurin from Durkteel.
  6. TrandoJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Aw man! Darn sub-species!
  7. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I wanna say I remember seeing one in KOTOR 2... the mayor woman of Dantooine maybe? But if all it takes is having a slightly Indian look and a jewel on your forehead to be a Chalactan, that just makes me want to go to the diversity thread and fume.
  8. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't do a very thorough search when I made that statement.
    There's also Simms (I own that comic she's in :oops:), Yudrish Sedran and Klossi Anno.
    But yeah, it seems that if you have a jewel or jewels on your forehead and have an Indian appearance you're Chalactan. Terena Adare is a definite candidate.
  9. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Being female is, apparently, also a prerequisite. :p
  10. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Kind of like how all Cerean characters are male....despite having a sex ratio that supposedly favors females.

Or how many Mirilians are female, at least before SWTOR.
  11. Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Master

star 1
    Yeah, it's ongoing, but Brian Wood (as per this interview; at about the 23:43 mark) is only signed up for 12 issues at this point. However, it's a case of if he wants to do more I'm sure Dark Horse will accommodate him. And provided Star Wars is still at Dark Horse. When it does move back to Marvel though, and Brian Wood still wants to write it (and since he also currently writes for Marvel), I'm sure Marvel will welcome him with open arms too. And I imagine they would buy up the rights from Dark Horse to reprint the Dark Horse issues, and then just continue on with the series at Marvel. Or something... I don't know...

Anyway, yeah, another fun issue. I like all of the new pilots. I like the whole "Shadow Squadron" set up, it's neat. And it's going to be fun to see what Han and Chewbacca are up to on Coruscant next issue.

And like others have said, the art. That makes this the perfect Star Wars comic for me. And while I've only tried a handful of other series, this is far and away the best, even after only two issues. And that's because 1) the setting, when it takes place, which makes all the difference in the world as far as I'm concerned. And 2) the combination of the story and art. Because far too often the story would interest me, but the art would fall way short. Or less often, the art would be wonderful, but the story was of little to no interest to me. This fits the bill on both accounts.
    Last edited by Master Aizakku Rorensu, Feb 17, 2013
    vong333 likes this.
  12. AdmiralWesJanson Chosen One

star 5
    Is Chalactan an actual near human race, or is it merely a term like Corellian?
  13. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    Awesome issue although it feels like just more set-up to the real story. Considering its only #2 thats ok. Glad to see a mix of species in the Rebellion and the deck crew being snarky towards the pilots.

Is that a SSD I see on the cover for the next issue? If so we can start figuring out timeline placement [face_dancing]
  14. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    The first thing I thought of as Leia is explaining her task force's purpose.... Leia is the founder of the first Wraith Squadron. Wedge just took the idea some years later.
    Darth_Foo likes this.
  15. krtmd Force Ghost

star 4
    Is the timeline of these comics in question?
  16. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    Only in relation to the SW: The Early Adventures, Classic SW, and early Marvel comics as far as I know.
    Sometimes I think only an old fogiey like me still reads those.
  17. cthugha Force Ghost

star 3
    Nice one again... awesome tech graphics as has been mentioned, slow story but that's okay, interesting new characters (though they could have gone without that standard Corellian IMO)... and finally GCW Coruscant! Considering it is the heart and center of the Empire also in the OT era, I think we have seen far too little of it during that time.

So, very much looking forward to the next issue... oh and the SSD on that one's cover helps, too. :cool:
  18. patchworkz7 Force Ghost

star 4
    It seems to be a term like Corellian since every reference for them I can find lists them as human as opposed to near-human.
  19. patchworkz7 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not sure how I feel about them essentially being Space Indians, but there is a developed, in-universe reason for the marks:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Greater_Mark_of_Illumination

It does make me wonder why she's wearing those and if it's supposed to be the marks of illumination or something else entirely.
  20. Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    You're not the only one. There used to be a fantastic pair of threads on the post-Yavin timeline that I often used as a reference, but sadly a lot of text got cut off part way through after the site went through its upgrade. I really regret not copying it to Word or something.
    Darth_Foo likes this.
  21. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I choose to believe that Chalactans, being a subset of humans anyway, represent all races. Granted, every time we meet one that looks like Depa, that becomes harder, but there's no reason to assume they're all South Asian-looking just because they're South Asian-inspired--and every reason, in fact, for them not to be.
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Nice second issue. It's an improvement all around- I love the cover waaay more than the first issue (the first issue had more of a Hildebrants-but-not-Hildebrants vibe with that coloring/lighting, IMO) and I find it amusing that it even directly addresses my nitpicky concerns over the use of TIE interceptors this early in the war, so there's less stuff bugging me about the last issue now thanks to this one.

Also nice to see the Devastator again- that always seemed to be forgotten about pretty quickly due to the (literally) larger presence of the Executor in the era.

If there's a particular thread like that that you feel would be useful to recover, we might be able to recover it from a backup. Msg a link to me if you have it and I'll inquire/take a look.
  23. Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    That's great news! I was worried some of the old stuff was lost forever. I'll try and hunt it down and send you the links.
  24. themetresgained Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I read Star Wars #1 and got cranky because I think at one point Leia tells Wedge and Luke to slave their navigation even though they're all in X-Wings. I thought X-Wings didn't have slave circuits? Can someone correct or confirm me on that?
  25. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Astromechs can apprently be interlinked/ slaved to each other.