Lit Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bioware MMO) [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SephyCloneNo15, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/1/18/Voss_Nightmare_Lands_2.jpg]

That's the shot I was thinking of more.
  2. Onderon1 Force Ghost

star 4
    The only other "weird tree" planet revealed so far, AFA I can tell, is Quesh in Hutt Space. Here's a link to an image on the Wook:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/e/e4/QueshLandscape-TOR.jpg

There might be patches on the lower levels of Belsavis, but they seem to be treating that more as a tundra world. Which makes me think - between Hoth, Ilum, and Belsavis, ice worlds are getting more exposure in TOR than I think we've seen them get in some time (this is excepting, of course, the repeat POVs of the Battle of Hoth ... :p).

3. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Heh.

I'll say, right now, that I was gutted that Kreia never mentioned dreaming of a black-brambled-garden. :(
  4. AlyxDinas Force Ghost

star 4
    As something of a tangent based off the last Sith Warrior armor progression video, I have to say that I like how the Sith of this Empire, for all of their less diverse imagery when it comes to some things like ships, still seem to have a distinct visual aesthetic that really comes through in their armor. One which feels different than much that comes after or before.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    In my "personal canon" Kreia is nothing but Ravel's avatar in the Star Wars universe.
  6. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Hmm... ice worlds... there do seem to be a lot of those, yeah.
    The problem with a female character dreaming of a brambled garden is it'd have sounded too much like she was dreaming of Manderley again.:p
  7. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    :cool:
  8. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    I'm not sure how Atris and Trias are related, though. Extradimensional analogues or actually the same being? [face_thinking]
  9. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Oh, I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions!

"Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the Magic Girdle o' Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"

Dung, all o' it! Only gets ye in the Dead-Book! I ought ta kick ye in the shins fer even pesterin' a poor ol' woman about it all! Now go away an' leaves me in peace!
  10. Magnuskn Force Ghost

star 4
    Just in case anyone is interested, there have been tons of new info which were released in the last week and today the PvP embargo dropped, which got us even more interesting information on how PvP will work in TOR. Here's a link to a thread which compiles links to all the different articles from fan websites and professional gaming sites of the last week.
  11. CeiranHarmony Force Ghost

star 5
    I am a bit worried by the amount of BAD reviews for TOR recently in many Gaming Mags... the third or fourth mag in a row reviewed TOR with a "below standard"/outdated etc. comment

they were allowed to testplay it etc. and still thought graphics were comicstyle and outdated/bad, story was meh compared to other Bioware games and peers and that few things seemed interesting.

and these reviwers were star wars fans of the first hour too... [face_worried]

add to that the next delay into January 2012 for release they announced...
  12. Magnuskn Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I'd say they were in the extreme minority, because the majority of previews I've read have come away with very positive impressions. As I linked above, there was a fan-site summit a few weeks ago and they have now released all their information. And there are in the link above also a lot of links to professional gaming site reviews, almost all of which came off very positive, too.
  13. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Codex feature - reminds me of the lore journal from the Warhammer mmo. Or from Mass Effect and Dragon Age I guess.
    More important than the individual feature is the fact that we are getting a first look at exploration, the most ignored of the four pillars. I am a rather obsessive explorer myself, and so I am happy to hear there will be stuff to do.

Now, I am not one of those PVP players who demands to be able to level up on one activity alone, but the reason I never got to a very high level in WOW was that I was always distracted going around the next hill....ironically preventing me from ever seeing the really cool high level areas...so I hope I can get a little exp exploring at least.

Don't you see though. Any positive preview is obvious fanboyism/bribery/doesn't cover enough content to say, while negative reviews are always profession, objective, and comprehensive.
  14. Onderon1 Force Ghost

star 4

Link to the developer blog:

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20110506

While I like the idea of datacrons, I wonder if the player will be able to choose which stat gets improved - assuming that Bioware is sticking with the idea that Wisdom and Charisma are more important for Force-users, I'd hate to be running a Consular or Inquisitor and find a datacron that only boosted, say, Dexterity (not that Dexterity isn't important). [face_thinking]
  15. AlyxDinas Force Ghost

star 4
    A way to deal with that would be just to balance the spread of datacrons throughout the game so that the stat boost to each category evens out. As to the PVP content, I'm excited to see how they've handled tanking. As someone who is dedicated to playing a Trooper Vanguard, it is nice to see that there is real incentive for me to do well in my role and that doing so will allow me to be rewarded the same way as an offensive player. Regarding people who got hands on and didn't like it: oh well? I mean, I'm biased going in because I'm a Star Wars fan but not everyone is going to like what BioWare is doing. Particularly since much of the multiplayer aspect of the game is simply taking what is familiar and polishing it to a lustrous sheen. Some people was grand innovation through the game and the genre and they're probably not going to get it here outside of the class story and questing experience. However, what I've seen and what I've even gotten to play of the game has really instilled confidence in me that this will be a worthwhile experience.
  16. Oissan Force Ghost

star 6
    Ignoring bad reviews and only believing the good ones isn't any better.

Apart from that, I wouldn't say that the reviews are "bad", more along a bit disappointed. Story and overall feeling seem fine, but quests are criticised, seen as not up to Bioware-standard.

In short, good game, but not the great one it could be, that's what I see in the "bad" reviews I've read.
  17. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    I put a lot down to hype, personally.

Some people have been waiting for the game for so long that the chances of it meeting anyone's full expectations is low. Both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 did the same thing for me: didn't live up. I didn't like having waited to kick the Reaper's asses only to be told about some new threat and that I'd have to spend the game not fighting them but doing errand for companions. I then didn't like that I wasn't going to destroy the next Blight in another thousand years but just running around again playing errand boy for random people in one city fighting hornheads.

However, that was largely my own expectations working against me.

When I got into ME2, I fully enjoyed it. And while I bemoaned DA2 a few weeks back, I'm now nearly into the third act, and... while it hasn't quite redeemed itself as much as ME2 eventually did, I'm mildly optimistic that by the time I finish the game I'll have enjoyed it. I imagine TOR will be the same thing, as it will be very different to a normal BioWare game as well as most other MMOs, so there'll inevitably be an adjustment period of adapting to what TOR is not what we've spent the past four years thinking it is.
  18. AlyxDinas Force Ghost

star 4
    I think expectations play into it a whole lot. As do personal tastes in general. Which sounds obvious but it warrants saying. For instance, I think Dragon Age 2 might possibly be the best thing BioWare's done to date and I have very mixed feelings about the original KOTOR. I think some people have looked at this game with unrealistic expectations, many of which center upon the idea that it will be a grand innovator and not, say, just a good game which works within the establish genre and its conventions. I actually think the point/counterpoint of some of these articles helps people decide if this is something they'd like or not.
  19. DarthZeal Jedi Padawan

Here's an interview of French players to Bioware. http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/star-wars-the-old-republic/star-wars-old-republic-developpeurs-actu-418724.html

Sorry if my english translation is not very accurate, please be indulgent :

" If I'm choosing a smuggler or a trooper class, could I use a lightsaber? " : lightsabers are available for force users only.

" Could we use spaceships to travel from land to land? " : nope, spaceships can just allow you to leave a planet. Shuttles and taxis will be at disposal to travel on a planet surface.

" Will SWTOR require a monthly subscription? Are microtransactions scheduled? " : no informations have been published for the moment.

" Is PvP organized in such a way we could take part in massive encounters outside the battle zones (in the normal game)? If that's the case, is capital city raid planned? " : Yes you can fight outside the battlezones, and specific zones have been manufactured to this. More information will come soon. Planets are SWTOR capital cities, so they will be out of reach for other guilds. However, there will be many places to attack on these disputed worlds.

" Are you scared concerning the fact that players would choose to play only sith or jedi, and forget about the other classes? : when people will be used to play our game, we're going to see a larger variety of characters.

" Did you only take Kotor games into consideration for this game? Or Expended universe is gonna play a part too (comics, novels...)? : we like to say that this game is about a star wars for everybody. It means that we used films, clone wars cartoons, kotor games and the EU incredible treasures. No former knowledge of Kotor games is compulsory to enjoy the game, but for the ones who have that knowledge they will find some familiar things.

" Will we have some information on Kotor characters (Bastila Shan, Mission Vao, Bindo...)? " : We will try to answer all the great riddles of Kotor games. Prepare yourselves to be surprised!

" How death is working in SWTOR? " : we are currently redesigning the death and respawn system due to many reviews.

" How much the player will have an impact on the story? " : Your every decision will affect your world and the story you're experiencing. There will be links and references between the scenarios scheduled for the other classes.You will have to discuss with other players to discover every detail of the story, or test it by yourself.

" Why did you choose to do a MMORPG instead of kotor 3? " : 1 - in order to create an entire personal and well explored story. We tried that with Dragon Age : origins but the cost of this projet allowed us to personalize the story for a few hours only. 2 - multiplayer. RPG are made to play with friends.

" Did you take into account the mistakes committed on Star Wars : galaxies? " : We have learned from many games, but our inspiration is firstly rooted in our will to create fascinating games (thanks to a great scenario).

20. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Awesome. :-B

The Codex reminds me of the lore/log entries in the Metroid Prime series. And that's not a bad thing.

How much work? Current estimates of our codex are around 120,000 words of text. By comparison, the average Star Wars novel comes in at around 100,000 words.

Anyone know how this compares to the size of other reference material, like Essential Guides or RPG sourcebooks?
  21. Cronal Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    My god... this game, in essence, is coming out with its own built in campaign guide :p Presumably, they would update it even with expansions and updates so thats actually, potentially, a lot of new material they could be adding.
  22. Corusca_One Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've said it before but I'll say it again: Codex in TOR? YES. I love reading through the codex in other BioWare games and it should be even more effective in an MMO setting unlike some of the other BioWare-y aspects.

I wouldn't worry about any negative previews, I haven't read a single one yet that doesn't qualify it by it being them just being overly critical due to the games hype and potential impact on both the MMO genre and gaming in general (as well as BioWare and Star Wars).

Darth Hater is really the best place to get impressions I find. For instance their recent overview of the PVP dynamics was positive whilst retaining the constructive criticism found in other previews. They are also very in depth.
  23. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Speaking of DH:
    [image=http://media.dhcdn.com/2011/05/5747/fup2.jpg]
    [image=http://media.dhcdn.com/2011/05/5746/fup1.jpg]

Flavor seems nice and...flavorful.
    Let's see...Shyraks are back, apparently they are not letting in non-humans/purebloods out of desperation to replace losses from the last war, but a lot of Sith aren't happy with that.
  24. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    On that second image, there's a rather curious line:

- Admission to the Sith Academy
    - Sith Titles
    - Slavery in the Empire
    - The Red Engine
    - Legacy of Tulak Hord

Pray tell, what is Red Engine? [face_thinking]
  25. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's an artifact in the tomb of Tulak Hord, part of a very early quest. From early 2009 preview:

Ephram wants me to head into an ancient tomb and find the resting place of legendary Sith, Tulak Hord. There I'll find the Red Engine, his terrible machine. I am to activate it. The only problem is, the machine won't get out of bed for anything less than an extremely messy sacrifice. I need to head inside, kill anything that moves, activate the machine and return with the ancient scriptures it gives up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.