Lit Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bioware MMO) [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SephyCloneNo15, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleSith Force Ghost

star 3
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92807

2. _Catherine_ Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd like to shake your hand, Disappointment. Looks like you win again. [face_dancing]
  3. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Jade Empire MMO then?

Or, a whole new franchise. Hmmm....

Now, I love kotor as much as the next guy, but lucasarts does need to start branching out with its franchises.
  4. ZanderSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    I guess i should point out to the few people waiting, Jade Empire 2 has been in development for a few months now. I dont have the link handy, but try looking it up at IGN.

Would've rather had a Kotor game tho.
  5. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    Why? What is it that LA doesn't get? KotOR I and II were some of the best selling games (and had some of the most popular characters) that have ever existed in the EU (and KotOR was a blockbuster in its own right, turning into a system seller for the original X-Box before they eventually released for the PC). Yet they seem set on not capitalizing on their success and instead choosing to do things that, while they will sell well with the general public, may frustrate long-term fans (The Force Unleashed and their constant harping on how we've never been able to play as a Jedi before, anyone?). Why? To what point and purpose? Sure, TFU looks cool. But I can guarantee my excitement level for KotOR III would be several orders of magnitude higher. It's a recipe for certain success if well-crafted... and they won't do it.

I don't get it. :confused:

- Keralys
  6. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    I would disagree about that, but I was already wrong about Squint not being Malak, so I will just hold my tongue.

But personally, I think Zayne is just to cool to turn out to be anyone from the game.

As for Bioware vs Obsidian..... I would go for Bioware. They normally have better games, and their work on the first KOTOR was admirable. Obsidian may have some in depth stuff, but I didn't really like their work on TSL. It was too rushed and there are some things that just didn't make sense. Bioware can make good stories, so I would entrust the important job of making the third KOTR into their hands.

7. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    Ker, hopefully this is because Obsidion, and not Bioware, is the developer making the next game.
  8. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    Which I would, of course, be fine with, since Avellone in particular and Obsidian in general made a much better story than Bioware did. I love Bioware, but their stories are all pretty much the same. KotOR II was a piece of art, even rushed as it was at the end. My concern is that we're quite a number of years down the line without a peep on the topic... which makes me wonder if there's anyone sane at LA at all. :p

I'd take TIE Fighter II: Fel as well... but that's never going to happen. :p

- Keralys
  9. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    I second that.

I know LA went through an internal cleaning a few years back but... I mean, seriously? Of all the things the new boss decided to do, he thought "lets scrap that KOTOR series"? (Admittedly it could be a result of BioWare's buyout too and was their new boss going "I want Mass Effect not KOTOR"). I really want to like TFU but I have to admit the "new" LA's attitude to KOTOR has me worried. If KOTOR is bad, then what is their definition of good? TFU had better be absolutely breathtaking.

I'm worried the new boss's attitude is that RPGs are lame and that action games are more mainstream so make more money. He's probably right. The danger of that trail of thought though is that action games are also a more competitive market as there is a lot more choice out there, so TFU will have to be seriously good to stand its ground or else it'll be a total flop.

KOTOR had easy street as no matter how many bugs KOTOR2 had, the single player RPG market has been largely ignored in recent years as developers switch to MMORPGs because they can milk them for more money...which is my biggest fear, that all this talk of a new MMORPG is because the new LA team have become corrupted by the great satan that is MMORPGs and gone "Why are we wasting our time developing these SP RPGs? Let's do a MP one that we can make tons of money off."

Real RPGs... how I miss thee... :(
  10. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Though I, of course, want a single player KotOR RPG, I think I'd honestly prefer Revan and Sareth's story to be finished in a novel series. If only to avoid having to introduce ANOTHER "super Jedi" in to the same time frame. (I doubt they'd let us play as Revan or Sareth again)

Two is bad enough as it is.

As much as I liked Obsidian's "deeper" KotOR tale, I have to admit that I still resent them ever-so-slightly for creating a big, bad, lovecraftian "True Sith" threat waiting in the dark.

LAME. AS. HELL. (Unless "the dark" is a metaphor for "the future" and it's actually a reference to Palpatine's Empire. Then I'd be hella impressed.)

I wouldn't have cared if they just referenced some "big bad unknown threat in the dark", but to insinuate that the Sith as we have known them so far aren't the "real deal" is just an insult to the material.

The worst part is they didn't even need to have an excuse for why Revan didn't appear in the story. Unless I'm very much mistaken, no-one made them set TSL five years after the first game. Why not five hundred years? They could have told pretty much the same story but without the "Where did Revan go?" angle.

Still, if anyone does do a KotOR III that is a *direct* sequel, I want it to be Obsidian. They should clear up their own silly True Sith rather than dumping them on someone else's lap.

Edit: The thought of a KotOR MMORPG is scaring me more and more. Mainly because I'm starting to think that it will require that we all make "Jedi and Sith" that go off to help Revan and Sareth against the "True Sith Empire"... especially in considering Kreia's silly rubbish about:

"And [Revan] will need warriors, Jedi, Sith and anything inbetween".

Gah. That was the most annoying thing about KotOR II. It would hit you over the head with something awesome, then have a character say something dumb like that two seconds later.
  11. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm still crossing my fingers for Jedi Knight IV: Imperial Knight
  12. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Jedi Academy was a glorified expansion pack, not truly Jedi Knight III [face_shame_on_you]

Dark Forces IV: Imperial Knight is where it's at. ;)
  13. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    I used to feel that way back when KOTOR2 first came out. I have to say though that the more the comics have me feeling Krynda is Kreia the more I absolutely love the True Sith concept.

I should stress I love it in a way that it doesn't actually exist. When I reread Homecoming recently with Lucien getting mad that Haazen wasn't telling him where his mother was it got me thinking she is the Sith who started the Mandalorian Wars (which if she is also Kreia would fit together nicely). This may have you thinking "What the hell are you talking about? Krynda is the crazy woman who is trying to prevent the Sith from returning."

Enter the True Sith. Krynda Draay's personal justification for learning the ways of the dark side. Believing her visions of the return of the Sith are the "true Sith" she herself studies the Sith teachings, never truly thinking of herself as a Sith, to prevent their return, akin to Luke Skywalker's attempts to defeat the dark side from within. She makes the Mandalorian Wars happen, hoping it will lure the True Sith into the open where they can be defeated.

The great irony being that the True Sith never existed. Her visions of the "True Sith" were of herself. Her attempt to defeat the dark side from within just had her become the very thing she tried to prevent. So strongly did she refuse to consider herself "Sith" that even at the end in her dying breaths on Malachor did she continue to prattle on about the existence of the "True Sith", her personal justification for her lifes mistakes.

I'm half tempted to want "Darth" to not inherently be Sith title at that stage too so that "Darth Traya" was just a generic dark side thing and more reason for her to not feel as if the name made her a Sith. But I also like the idea of a "Darth cult" in the ancient Sith Empire so I've always been a bit torn on whether I'd want things to go that far (though if the idea was Kreia believed the Darth title was bigger than the Sith (the whole Rakatan origin explanation) then I could buy it as the reason why she didn't feel it necessarily made her a Sith).

I'm aware this will never happen but with KOTOR3 looking less and less likely I'd much rather they take the plunge and do something that says the True Sith didn't exist and that it was just Kreia's personal justification for what she did, irrespective of whether they decide to make her Krynda Draay or not (though considering what the Covenant are trying to prevent, I'd just love the complete irony if they were the same person). I don't want the True Sith left unexplained. If they're not going to bother exploring them, then I'd much rather they tie things up with something more philosophical whereby the True Sith were an illusion.

Plus I'm a bit bored of the "the Sith did it!" explanation that seems to be worming its way into absolutely everything currently. "Ben had a nosebleed! The Sith did it!". While I wouldn't necessarily dislike the "True Sith" being behind the Mandalorian Wars, I just feel it would be rather fresher if actually the whole point of the war was that they weren't, people just thought they were.
  14. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    That would be so awesome! :D
  15. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Well, yeah, I could get behind that. [face_peace]

The question then becomes, "so... why's Revan off in the Unknown Regions?"

Very interesting.

I like it, overall - even if I'm not a fan of Krynda=Kreia.

Agreed.

Still, Kreia seemed to know what she was talking about when it came to visions of the future and whatnot (at least at the end of KotOR II).

That's why I've clung on to this rather silly notion that the "True Sith" is a reference to Palpatine and his Empire that waits in "the dark" (the future). Thus, Revan going into the Unknown Regions to fight it "in a way" is actually him galavanting around as many Sith planets as possible, destroying as much knowledge as he can find so as to hopefully weaken it in the future.

Kreia does make the point that "the Sith" is a "belief"... so perhaps it is "belief" that Revan is fighting... *Uli shrugs*

Or something. I don't know. There has to be *some* reason for Revan to just disappear, however....

Maybe he just died of Gary-Stuism and Kreia's covering it up?
  16. Darh_Knitos Jedi Knight

star 1

The only thing that could top this news if accurate, would be if Lena Headey and Kara Knightly officially announced that they would marry me, or if I finally got that six pack I always wanted.
  17. Emperor_Time Jedi Master

star 4
    I say go for the six pack since it very hard to marry two women at the same time since it consider illegal for being bigamy especially when the women are actresses too. :-B
  18. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Of course, it could just be sorta like Starcraft Ghost. Perhaps KOTOR III is not and never was canceled, they were just waiting until TFU and Indy etc. etc. are out of the way before they focus on it...
  19. Darh_Knitos Jedi Knight

star 1
    Lets pretend its not illegal. xxx.
  20. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    I'm waiting for Jedi Knight IV to take place in Legacy, but that's just me.
  21. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Some KotOR 3 concept art may have been discovered on the website of concept artist known to work for LucasArts.

Intriguing.

[face_thinking]
  22. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Sith Troop Transport? Dashaad Fighter? KOTOR 1/2 Sequel Unknown Regions and 1,000 BBY Sith War settings seem to be distinct possibilities.
  23. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
    With all these supposed leaks as of late, methinks that production is stepping up and/or they are getting ready to announce it sometime in the nearish future. If all this stuff is for real, I predict the announcement sometime between the release of TFU and the end of the year.

If nothing substantial happens by then, I will become much more massively critical.
  24. Kenobi_Kid Jedi Master

star 4
    And let's not forget the image with all the naval uniforms on it. Many of them look like distinctly like the good old Republic Navy uniforms from the KOTOR comics. The Dashaad fighter seems to have obvious connections to the Sith fighter, and the one of the bald guy titled Idriss has Palpatine vibes coming off of it.
  25. Corusca_One Jedi Knight

star 3
    What I don't get is if that is a new game then at the next big games conferance all they need to do is release some artwork like that and confirm it. It would become one of the most anticipated titles of the near future easily. They would barely need the huge marketing campain that TFU has got, the KotOR name gives it almost all the weight it needs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.