Lit The 181st Imperial Discussion Group: headquarters thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    I actually was, but don't worry. Very few people can tell.

But do the Wraith books. Definitely do them now. But the stuff I suggested should go on the list. Because, not-very-good as they are, they're underdiscussed and interesting in their not-very-goodness.
  2. beccatoria Force Ghost

star 4
    Ha! Okay, awesome, consider them on the discussion list. BUT NOT UNTIL WE'VE DONE SOME GOOD ONES! ;)
  3. StateOfLoveAndTrust Force Ghost

star 2
    I know a lot of Han stuff has been covered already, but the HS Trilogy is in pretty much the same boat as the Wraith trilogy. Most just agree that it's great then move on to the next topic. And I'd suggest MedStar again but it's probably better to change it up with JT and Y:DR already on the list.

4. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Ooh. Both great additions to the master list.
  5. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Actually, if you can find them, I'd love to see you do "Junior Jedi Knights."

THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF BAREFOOT GIRL!
  6. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Ooh, same here! Along with the rest of the YJK, which I've mentioned before? ;)
  7. beccatoria Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, MedStar has been kicking around the middle of the list for a while now so maybe it oughta get some consideration in the new year after we've done X-Wing for a while? I was originally putting off the other HS trilogy due to having recently done the other other HS trilogy, but we're far enough past it now that I think it can totally swing back into consideration, especially since everyone says it's awesome and I've never read it.

I'd actually be amenable to doing JJK because I've never read that either and since it's short we could blast through three in a month or something and it is the introduction of Tahiri, however, I have reservations mainly because I suspect it'll be super hard to find - is it even still in print? I know I don't have copies and I've never seen any for sale (or I'd've picked them up like I did GoDV). I could look into interlibrary loan or second hand on Amazon I guess if it were cheapish.
  8. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Junior Jedi Knights is what I support most.

Followed by the rest of YJK.

So I'm with RK here.
  9. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Becc, I did some checking. The JJK are available at the Barnes and Noble and Amazon websites. If you want to get them, I think B&N is the best shot if you want them cheap. They're all used, but most are about $2. Amazon has some of them as new, but they're like $20 or more.
  10. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    I have the JJK and second Charles' recommendation.
  11. beccatoria Force Ghost

star 4
    Well we could probably do a month of JJK where we do like, three of the books or something. I'd need to check the B&N international shipping but at those prices it certainly sounds do-able.

I'll re-check opinion nearer the end of the X-Wing run?
  12. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    I hope the Fall of the Diversity Alliance is next.

I got nice new shiny hardback version.
  13. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    I think it's been long enough that we can throw Death Star into the mix for later down the line, too.
  14. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    And I will NOT insist the characters in the novel died!
  15. beccatoria Force Ghost

star 4
    http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31222993/p1/

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous discussion is up!

Next month we're starting on the next four X-Wing Novels, so Wraith Squadron is up first! :D
  16. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I just found this thread and I am so glad to have found something like this! I've been wanting to go back and re-read the old EU, as well as catch up on books I never got the chance to read, and this is a great way for me to do that. Plus, I've been wanting to re-read the X-Wing series, so it looks like I found this at just the right time!
  17. beccatoria Force Ghost

star 4
    http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31287605/p1/

Wraith Squadron discussion is up! :)
  18. beccatoria Force Ghost

star 4
    http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31343870/p1/

X-Wing: Iron Fist discussion is up!
  19. beccatoria Force Ghost

star 4
    Solo Command discussion is up!

http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31406209/p1/

OKAY, so, as I say over in that thread, due to my own error, I got the months mixed up and incorrectly thought we had a plan for January when in fact we don't. So I'm making an executive decision and running the MedStar Duology because it's been a midlevel but recurring suggestion since the 181st began more or less. So that's January and February sorted.

But we do need some sort of longer ongoing plan.

Currently the novels I have in rotation as suggestions based on recent posts are the Correllian Trilogy, JJK, the rest of the YJK, and going back a bit further than that, The Cestus Deception and Hard Contact (I believe there was also some discussion of The Approaching Storm, but concerns about its content being beefy enough, and The New Rebellion but concerns about it being too awful. :p)

So if you guys wanna give me a general feeling on where we're at versus those novels, that's great. But I'd also like to throw a few other ideas into the ring to see if they're popular.

We used to have a comic discussion counterpart but it's not still ongoing. Now I know that might not bode too well for us if we did want to discuss some comics, but I also think that there's no reason we shouldn't consider them. So if anyone wants to suggest some comics please feel free to do so. If part of an ongoing series, we'll probably try to choose a fairly self-contained segment, but in keeping with the monthly style of the 181st and the fact that graphic novels are shorter than novel-novels, I guess I'd say...if we were doing, for example, something like Jedi vs Sith - a self-contained six-issue story with quite a lot of stuff for discussion, we should probably just do JvS. But if we were doing some of the Tales of the Jedi stuff, I don't see why we couldn't do several of the graphic novels to get a sense of scope and you know, so we're not stuck discussing, essentially, a short story for the course of the month, but rather than whole tale of Ulic's fall, etc.?

Anyway, I just thought it would be worth mentioning that since we've been around for quite a while now, even though I don't think we're in danger of running out of novels, we're definitely starting to have discussed a lot of the more obvious choices. So it's maybe worth being willing to expand the criteria?

I'd also be willing to do a month of short stories from Hyperspace or the Adventure Journals or in-universe articles or something in theory, but in practice I think this could be quite difficult because of access to the material, so I think I'll table that for now?

Anyway - what are your thoughts? Yea or nay on comics, and if yea, which ones? Remembering that we're trying to discuss the stories that get a bit overlooked, so, you know, now Legacy or KOTOR, much though I love them both. ;)
  20. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmm... for comics, we could try some of the early arcs of the Republic run like Outlander. It would be interesting to compare how the EU's vision of the Rise of the Empire changed from where it was circa-TPM to where it is today (I believe that was one of the points brought up in the Rogue Planet discussion). Of course, I'd have to get that Omnibus first :p. The arcs contained in the Boba Fett omnibus might also prove interesting for discussion, given that character's rather convoluted characterization and continuity over the last 30 years. Granted, that discussion would probably require a decent amount of moderator supervision, given the divisive nature of certain authors.

If we are going to go with overlooked comics, I would suggest also holding off on Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi. Republic's Clone Wars run is a possibility, if simply to compare it with TCW. I would also throw in Open Seasons if we do a discussion of some of the Boba Fett arcs.

I would actually love to do a set of Hyperspace stories. The funny thing is, I actually DO have access to those, unlike most of my Star Wars novels (yay dorm space! :p) The nice part of Hyperspace is that with those stories, several of them span multiple entries (the Alex Winger Saga, Tinian I'att, etc.) so there is enough material for an in-depth discussion. I think that I have most of the Hyperspace articles on my harddrive.

Novel-wise, I have the Cestus Deception, Hard Contact, and Medstar, so I will try to show up for those discussions. As for novel suggestions... Hmm, Dark Lord perhaps? Or Labyrinth of Evil? If we were to do Labyrinth of Evil, we could follow it up with a discussion of the Obsession arc of Clone Wars, and how the various mediums depicted the last 6 months of the Clone Wars. If we haven' done Outbound Flight, perhaps it could go on the list.
  21. Plaristes Force Ghost

star 3
    I think Survivor's Quest and Ruins of Dantooine are both fairly overlooked, too.
  22. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    I second this. Survivor's Quest is certainly overlooked, and (In my opinion) somewhat harshly viewed by many fans. A discussion of Ruins of Dantooine would be fun, if simply to see if we could distill just what "qualities" made it the Crystal Star of Del Rey :p. Hmm... The Han Solo Adventures have been done already. Maybe the Lando Calrissian Adventures? Then maybe Tatooine Ghost or Death Star?
  23. Zorkel567 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Maybe Survivor's Quest, then Outbound Flight could be done. Or what about the Rise of Isard Arc of the X-wing comics. Or possibly The Rebel Opposition (yuck). The Dark Horse Droids series. That could finally talk me into finishing it. Outlander may also be a good choice(I'm reading that now.)
  24. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    In regards to what to do next month, while the Medstar Duology is a nice option, what about the other X-wing novels. We still have Isard's Revenge and Starfighters of Adumar. I would also include I, Jedi in the mix because Stackpole wrote it, it's told from Corran's POV, and we get to see plenty of starfighter action. I made this suggestion in the Solo Command thread as well.
  25. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    Medstar could work well.

We already had a comics version of this start up that didn't fare well from a participation pov.

Avoid Hard Contact like its the plague. Obviously I think its a very good book, particularly Ghez Hokan & Etain's origins - but I truly don't believe the book will be the focus of discussion.