main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Sony PSP & PS Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ps2_jedi, Oct 12, 2004.

1. ps2_jedi

ps2_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    Since there is a Nintendo DS Disscussion Thread I thought I'd make a Sony PSP (Playstation Portable) Disscussion Thread.
    [image=http://www.psinext.com/SPix/images/gtpsp1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.psinext.com/SPix/images/psp4.jpg]

All the PSP Specs..
    The First Announcement

PSP Press Release at E3 2003

Press Releases
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT READIES FOR MARKET EXPANSION WITH CREATION OF A NEW HANDHELD ENTERTAINMENT PLATFORM

Company Unveils Plans to Extend PlayStation® Family of Products with "PSP?"

LOS ANGELES, May 13, 2003 ? Enhancing its strong platform strategies, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today plans to expand its in-home entertainment to outside the home with a new, all-in-one portable entertainment platform, "PSP?"

The introduction of "PSP" highlights the company's long-awaited foray into the portable entertainment market. With unmatched advantages of the Sony Group, such as global brand awareness, superior technologies in the most advanced semiconductor processes, "PSP" further broadens entertainment experiences into the portable arena.

The foundation of this new platform is Universal Media Disc (UMD), which comprises of a 60mm optical disc (1.8 GB) in a cartridge, developed by the Sony Group, utilizing its latest disc technologies. Compared to the out-dated mask ROM cartridge, optical disc has huge advantages such as shorter turn around time for manufacturing, larger data capacity and lower media costs. The latest copy-protection technology will be applied to offer content developers and publishers a safe and copy-protected environment.

"PSP" will be equipped with a wide screen 480 x 272 pixel (16 by 9) TFT LCD monitor with a backlight, and powered by super chipsets utilizing the latest 90 nm semiconductor technology. For graphics, 3D rendering will be enhanced by the employment of curved surfaces (NURBS) along with conventional polygons. Video quality will also be enhanced with MPEG4, which delivers quality equivalent to DVD video at a low data rate.

"PSP" will have an USB 2.0 port for further expandability and connectivity to other devices, such as "PSP," PlayStation 2 and many other systems, along with a Memory Stick? slot for network applications and data transportability in a wireless environment.

SCEI will offer PC-based development tools starting from fall 2003 for the preparation of a new range of computer entertainment content. A new license scheme for "PSP" software development will be announced in summer 2003. Pursuing the founding principles of the PlayStation business, Sony Computer Entertainment will expand its efforts to support content developers to create new forms of computer entertainment.

Together with its business partners, SCEI aims to aggressively promote this new platform to further broaden the arena of entertainment.

"Just as PlayStation and PlayStation 2 revolutionized in-home computer entertainment, we aim to become a new driving force in the portable entertainment platform arena," said Ken Kutaragi, president and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "The world of PlayStation encompasses hundreds of millions of users worldwide, most of whom view computer entertainment as part of their everyday lives. We look forward to extending the experience through a portable entertainment platform, and are excited about the possibilities and impact 'PSP' will have on the market. Along with game applications, 'PSP' will have a huge potential for delivering other forms of entertainment as well as live entertainment through the network, anywhere, anytime. This is the 'Walkman' of the 21st century."

"PSP" Specifications
    Platform name: PSP?
    Display: Wide screen (16:9) TFT LCD with backlight(480 x 272 dots)
    Disc medium: "UMD" 60mm optical secured ROM disc with cartridge(1.8GB)
    Video CODEC: MPEG4
    Graphics: 3D Polygon/NURBS
    Sound: PCM (built-in stereo speakers, stereo headphone output)
    I/O: USB 2.0, Memory StickTM slot
    Battery: Rechargeable (lithium-ion)

About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
    Recognized as the global leader and company res

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    That sounds really awesome. My question though is what's the price.

3. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
    ^ Sony has not yet revealed the price or the release date.

4. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    4 hours of bat life Max, plus in the 300 dollar range? No thanks, and the specs may look good, but this is Sony so you can expect the specs to be inflated

5. PTGrievous

PTGrievous Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2004
    Muahahahahaha!

Nobody is going to buy a PSP for ~$350 USD to:
    - Play games for 1.5-2hrs
    - Play old hat games that are mostly identical to the offerings on PS2
    - Get their hands burnt due to the system heating up in a mere 15mins :p
    - Purchase their favourite DVD films on UMD (Heh, the system doesn't even have a battery life long enough to play LOTR)

Take a look at what a revolutionary handheld consists of: http://opa-ages.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18357

Watch the Nintendo DS and Nintendo Revolution drag the game industry into the 21st Century!
    Imagine an industry that couldn't copy from Nintendo :eek:

Sorry, couldn't help myself :p

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I hear that it will reqiure the blood of infant baby boys to power it's 1337 graphics. You'll carry it in a little wrist pouch.

7. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I hear that it will bomb just like the N-Gage! Does anyone besides 10 year olds play handheld games anymore?

8. PTGrievous

PTGrievous Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2004
    Heaps of 10+ yr olds play GBA/GBASP...
    Myself included

9. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    It sounds so sweet. I love the specs and think Sony will succeed with this console. I just know I will have to purchase it when it comes out.

10. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
    ^ Definatly, I'm gonna be at wal-mart the day It comes out :D

11. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'm not getting this I've to be really rich if I want to afford this, really "region lock" on a portable system? WTH, for those who travel alot this sucks. Furthermore PSP might be able to play movies but I'm not willing to spend another ?40 on my favourite movie on UMD format [face_plain]

Last but not not least no Jump Superstars :(

12. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
    ^ One thing that not a lot of people realize is, SONY HAS NOT YET STATED HOW MUCH IT IS, AND WHEN IT WILL BE OUT!!!!!!!!!

13. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Well that's true but you've got to realise its still going to be expensive (everything combined of course), do you really think you're going to find new UMD movies for $10 or maybe $5? You won't besides I've already pointed out why would anyone want to buy the same movie twice? Unless its an upgrade in quality (which isn't the case) or is a collector's edition?

Besides the region lock still a pain in the you know what when it comes to portable systems :)

14. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
    ^Well That's True, But When The PSP comes out And Movies start to come out, I might get a few..
    Hmmm I wonder if Movie Rental Places will have UMD's
    That would be interesting.

15. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
    THE REIGON LOCKS ARE FOR MOVIES ONLY
    Games can be played with anyone!!

16. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    wow Sony surprised me with the price, now the handheld war can finally get interesting. I wonder how the cheap the systems will get at the end of their life span.
    Of course the battery life is still quite low 4 to 6 hours.

17. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Furthermore PSP might be able to play movies but I'm not willing to spend another ?40 on my favourite movie on UMD format

I wouldn't be surprise is software becomes available that will let you burn your only mini-DVDs and use them in the PSP.

You could either download a movie from the net ( :eek: ) or transfer one of your own DVDs ( :eek: )to one of those cute mini-DVDs you can buy at Circuit City.

(p.s. piracy is bad m'kay ?)

18. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Actually here's an example if I download a game (something I absolutely never do) burn it on a DVD and insert into my non existant PS2 what would happen?

Exactly absolutely nothing unless my non existant PS2 is modded same could (probably will) happen with the PSP.

19. ps2_jedi

Aug 14, 2003
    Malky FOr that to work, You would have to Mod the PSP, Something I don't do.. I don't mess with Perfection :p
    ANd as for the Price, I was shocked as well.
    When you Convert it, and Take care of Inflation,
    The normal pack Would be about $160 or so, and the Value Pack would be about $200 or so, That is ALOT cheaper than what I expected

20. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I was just being hypothetical, I don't advocate piracy

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Just had a few minutes playing Ridge Racer on the PSP.

Well. ***damn, that was fun. Pretty interesting analogue joystick too, it slides, not pivots, but it's all totally natural.

Never been interested in a buying a console before, but given Planet Moon's exclusive PSP developments, I might just be swayed.

22. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Sounds very good, pity about the 4hrs battery life though.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Has anyone actually got any proof of that, or is this just a self-perpetuating rumour?

Assuming it is true, I'll mostly play the game inside, where there are handy power-sockets I can plug the unit into. Except for aeroplane flights (and I've only been on 4 that are greater than 4 hours in my life), I can't really see where I would have the time to play for 4 hours solid with nowhere to plug a power lead available.

24. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Hmm so this thing will be able to Play BOTH PS1 & Ps2 games eh interesting

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Umm. No it won't. Where the hell would you stick the CD?