main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stereoscope: Why??? Holograms: Please!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by backdeskproductions, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backdeskproductions

backdeskproductions Jedi Master star 3

Aug 17, 2007
    The theater close to me shows 2D during the day while I'm working and then 3D when I get off. I mean come on. Why.

2. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. When I was working at our theater, people bitched and moaned about ONLY having a 3D version of the film, and "dammit, we should have a choice!" So Alice in Wonderland came along and we got 3D and 2D prints. Every time we sold tickets and asked which version, it was "uh, 3D, duh!" So I'm convinced the general movie-going audience doesn't know what the hell they want, and people will complain no matter what.

3. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Toy story in 3D was really good. The 3D was not a problem for me at all. It just depends on the film. I will not see a film in 3D if it is a conversion. Also, you mentioned earlier that you saw Shrek in 3D and didn't like the 3D? From what I've heard the 3D was shotty anyway. At least four times in the film they even backed into 2D, so I've heard. I have seen Toy Story 1/2/3, UP, and the better Avatar, all in 3D, and had no complaints. Don't let one bad 3D movie discourage you. If done right, it should be a fantastic experience!

4. Demogoblin2

Demogoblin2 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2007
    3D Pixar movies are what it's all about. All the Toy Stories were amazing in 3D.

5. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/07/ipad-projector-renders-3d-objects-for-the-naked-eye/

Thanks to Ben McEwan for posting this on Facebook. The Ipad hits a prism and acts like a hologram.

6. maul2

maul2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    So basically what we have here is a highly complicated plate glass window reflecting an image to create an effect not dissimilar to standing in front of a window in well lit room at night...BUT... get this, it does it 4 TIMES!!!

As you can see...I am thoroughly impressed.

7. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    It's neat. You know, by the time we get true holograms, it'll probably be based on some technology that you'll have already seen for awhile, thus leaving you with a similar attitude. Do you ever stop to consider just what your cell phone is doing? No, you probably sit around complaining that it doesn't do it well enough, as do most of us. Sheesh.

8. maul2

maul2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    No, I'm quite happy in fact, I simply derive massive quantities of pleasure from poking holes in other peoples dreams. As for a cell phone, the only one I have is about 4 years old and works just fine thank you very much.

And I'm sure once we do actually get to holograms it won't simply be a glorified window reflection being treated like it's the savior of earth or something.

9. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    They have a video somewhere on youtube, (I am trying to find it) where a concentrated beam of light (not a true laser) was shot into a wave of heat and water particles and it created a true, floating-in-mid-air, touchable (not yet interactive) hologram.

I'll link it on here as soon as I find it. I just had it not too long ago but failed to save it to my favorites. Ah!

10. JediCow

JediCow Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    Just go to your Youtube account and scroll through your history. It'll be in there.

11. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007

After YEARS of searching :p

I have finally found it.

12. backdeskproductions

Aug 17, 2007
    unfortunately it doesnt show them touching it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.