main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SCOUNDRELS - New Han Solo book written by Timothy Zahn!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kypsolo

Kypsolo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    Tim Zahn will write a new novel starring Han Solo set in the classic films era.

I'm looking forward to this. Zahn writes Solo very well.

I hope it's a Han and Chewie adventure. LADS ON TOUR!

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Probably should feature the 'slaver incident' Han mentioned to Karrde on their first meeting, where he gave the ship and its cargo to the slaves.

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Yes. Been awhile since we had a Han book, and Zahn does a great job with him :D

4. Cammy_White

Cammy_White Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2010
    Awesome, Han hasn't gotten any real love in a while. Most of the time he feels like a background character that has no connection to the Han from the movies. Will be cool to see how his characterization plays out.

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    This is exciting! I'm loving all this fantastic Star Wars news!

6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    =D=

Yay! This is promising. Zahn knows Han.

7. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Wow. Cool. Very cool. He did wonders with Han in Co1. Best Han in years.

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm glad he's writing another book, but this doesn't mesh at all with what I expected based on previous comments of his about his next project. I was really hoping for some more L/M.

I can only wonder if another smuggler may be making an appearance...

9. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    There a link for this somewhere? This is great news, IMO. Zahn does Solo better than anyone.

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, this is very good news. Zahn's portrayal of Han in Choices of One was one of the best versions of the character in... years, honestly. Zahn usually does pretty good with Han (and Lando for that matter). Although I wish more for a Luke/Mara novel, but Han could use another great story too, especially set in the classic era. While I know one of the common complaints is too much focus on the big three (and in the Legacy era I quite agree its a big problem), a Han Solo novel by Tim Zahn in the movie era sounds like a very good idea to me, since Zahn writes an especially competent and awesome Han most times, nice to find out what Zahn's next SW project is.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't know if you're on facebook, so I'll just post the quote from the Star Wars Books page.

"Just announced at our Del Rey Star Wars books panel: Drew Karpyshyn will write a fourth novel that will tie into The Old Republic for Fall 2012 and Tim Zahn will write a new novel starring Han Solo set in the classic films era. More details to come on both as they develop. (ES)"

I was at their panel so I can confirm that they did indeed reveal this.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Please tell me Thrawn won't be in it.

Other than that thought, yeah, sounds great. Set in the classic films era? Between ANH and ESB maybe? Details on the "bounty hunter from Ord Mantell"?

13. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I hope not.

It's been done, a few times.

14. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    Great. It's not enough to make Luke a dork. Now he'll retcon Han's story. Han young and brash meets Talon Karrde and decides to become a smuggler, dazzled by the ultimate dude...

No thanks. The last one was Mara Sueism and retcon enough.

15. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I hope you're joking. :p

TC

16. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Dude, have you seen A New Hope? Luke is a dork, pre-ESB, full stop.

And Han's career as a smuggler has been well covered. While Zahn may have "fixed" some stuff he didn't like in other books, I don't think he's ever done a Fenn Shysa rewrite of a character. Your concerns seem rather unfounded.

17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    That occurred prior to the Battle of Yavin.

18. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    Kinda like how Mara couldn't lift a rock and didn't know how to use a lightsaber and all of a sudden she's a lightsaber super expert wielding power puff girl? While Luke stands there drooling, but doesn't' remember her a whole 6 years later? Like that? oh... yeah, that wasn't a total rewrite either...

:rolleyes:

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I hope it's set between TESB and ROTJ.

20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm very interested in this... loved the Han Solo Adventure and Trilogy.

Since Zahn uses the movies the most as a referencing point (well, most do, but Zahn especially), I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote about those "tougher places" he and Chewie had gotten into (in reference to the Imperial base)... just watched ROTJ on blu-ray, completely forgot about that line. It would certainly be interesting to see Han and Chewie pull off a heist or something.

I also wouldn't mind a later novel, with him already in the Rebellion. We've never seen Zahn write a totally rogueish Han though, so that could be interesting.

That wasn't a total rewrite, just a retcon... no more than Vader killing Luke's father was just a "certain point of view". Mara's connection to the Emperor was severed by that point, and she essentially had to relearn all that she knew. Besides, even with Allegiance and CoO, she was never ridiculously powerful. Probably around the same level as Luke at the beginning of ROTJ.

I have always wondered if you can daydream in carbonite.

21. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    It would make sense to have this take place in parallel to Splinter In The Mind's Eye. Then Luke, Leia and Vader won't be in.

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Man, all these new announcements surely sound like april fool's jokes, as in: too much of what this forum wants to hear.

Stop it, you're killing me!

Anyway, defreezing Han, letting him have some adventures and then having him refreezed in the exact same position wouldn't be surprising for EU. I'm not sure if Zahn would go there, but... you know...

That would definitely make sense in regards to Zahn creating his own little universe of novels.

Then again, wouldn't it also make sense after ROTJ, as there's comparatively little stuff about Han being a bombad general? This might tie in with Karrde's rise to power, Mara's days as a homeless not-yet-smuggler, and probably a reorientation of those troopers that were featured in the last few books. And didn't I hear that Han got the best character arc in one of those two books anyway, meaning that Zahn choosing a Han focus wouldn't be much of a surprise?

23. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I love Zahn but I'll be passing on this book. I've never really been much of a Han fan and over the last couple of series I've
    come to loathe the character (along with most of his family). I know Zahn is big fan of Han's and I'm sure the book wil be good.

24. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm still really confused/curious about this in regards to Tim's comments about Dragon*Con about needing to borrow a Wraith from Aaron Allston. But if this is about Han during the film era, the Wraiths don't exist yet. I WANT MORE INFO, DEL REY.

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm happy. Not a big Zahn fan, but he's usually doing good except when Mara is around. I'd also love to see a more rogueish Han.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.