main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it true that Indy 5 is being cancelled?!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Darthman1992, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Darthman1992

Darthman1992 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2011
    That Indiana Jones 5 is being cancelled? I've heard about it in two places:

*http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/board/thread/185973697
    *http://www.harrisonfordweb.com/forums/showthread.php?p=59749#post59749

This is pretty big news if it's true, but so few places (I've found) are talking about it, and I can't find a direct source other than forums. What, have people like Karen Allen and Shia been lying the last few months?

Anybody know the truth of this story?

(And I don't want this turning into a debate over the quality of SKULL, this is just to discuss this specific story)

Mod Edit: Changed topic name for clarity.

2. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I have no idea if it is true or not, but I hope it isn't. We've always been hearing that they were really going to go ahead and make a 5th one.

3. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    The Kathleen Kennedy quotes in that piece seem really dubious. She's pretty much quoted as saying Lucas, Ford and LaBeouf have all been lying when they've said it's slowly moving forward. Seems really fishy to me. And even so, Kennedy and Marshall are notorious for denying the existence of any project until it gets a green light. They didn't admit to Indy 4 either until they started shooting the damn thing.

You'll also remember that Kennedy & Marshall just last year claimed that there would not be another Jurassic Park at any point. Well, last week Spielberg himself confirmed that a new JP is just a couple of years away. I think the producer couple simply has a policy of denying everything until it's solid. Which means that they pretty much deny that the entire writing process and huge chunks of the pre-production is ever taking place.

When Lucas and Ford say they want to make another one, that's the plain truth. The only one not on record is Spielberg, I think.

4. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I for one think they should leave it alone. Indy IV was a good note to go out on. It was a stretch in places but overall it worked, pleased audiences and made heaps o' money. Why tempt fate? Unless they can get the grittiness and edge of RotLA back, don't bother.

5. DarthEricD

DarthEricD Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2006
    Hope it's not cancelled. I'd like to see them rebound a bit after the 4th one.

6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'd like to see a #5. They could scale back some of the absurdity of KotCS and aim for a more stream-lined affair. Less sidekicks, less overt CGI, perhaps fewer villains. Leave Marion at home, even, so we don't have to contend with yet another time-consuming love interest sidebar. Kiss the lady good-bye, and take off for a final, lonestar adventure -- on his own, as we saw him at the outset of Raiders.

I could be persuaded to accept Mutt -- but only for part of the story. It should mainly be Dr. Jones, his pistol, his whip and his wits against... whatever macguffin Lucas and co. care to concoct.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    [image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1GzakHhC-wo/TD0gjUKbSHI/AAAAAAAABVk/3ELcVvZbG1c/s1600/they-saved-hitlers-brain.jpg]

8. inotropic

inotropic Jedi Master

Oct 4, 2009
    http://www.theraider.net/news/index_indy5.php

Harrison Ford: "George has just finished ?Red Tails.? So I think he is going to turn his attention to following up on an idea that we?ve all chatted about in the past. He?s finally going to be able to spend some time on it."

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Sweet! Let Indiana Jones and the Close Encounters of the ET Kind commence! :p

10. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Forget Indiana Jones. Do more Star Wars, like episode 7, 8 and 9.

11. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Indiana Jones and the Close Encounters of the Jurassic ET Jedi.

A classic.

12. TheFiffis

TheFiffis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2010
    Indiana Jones and Willow Too.

It's a double sequel.

13. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I'm not hoping for more Indy. The series went out on an impossibly high note. Yeah, the film ain't perfect, but audiences flocked to it & it was overall really, really good for a 4th movie entry in a series. It received mostly good reviews & made a mint.

Unless they strip it all down and go gritty, I can't imagine another decent film in this series. It would be almost impossible to pull off with a 70 yr old Indiana running around in 1962, I mean, he'll be in the same world as American Graffiti! Not a great idea. The series has a solid trilogy and a fun, genre-busting prequel. Leave it alone.

14. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Let other people do it in a new era with new characters.

15. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    You mean, basically, an EU movie? o_O

I could be totally fine with them not doing an Indy 5. I just want them to release the original Indy films on blu-ray. Oh, and maybe do 3-D conversions and show them in theaters again. [face_dancing]

16. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yeah, no 7,8,9 for me, thanks.

The saga ended on such a high note with Jedi, that I'd hate to see some other filmmaker come in years from now and **** the whole thing up by resurrecting the Sith just for the sake of some conflict. It's like with the first Pirates of the Caribbean, guy got the girl, Jack was off on a new adventure and the villain was killed. Then they have to screw everything up by undoing the ending of the first move in the sequels.

As for an Indy 5: I'm split. One part of me wants to see a 1960's Indy, another part of me thinks Indy 4 ended on such a great note that I'd hate to see them ruin things in a 5th film. Unless they go the Temple of Doom route and make a movie set in the mid 50's, so as to write out Mutt and Marion.

17. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Instead of a fifth movie...

The producers / writers should do a CGI / animated Indiana Jones. Along the lines of the The Clone Wars TV series. That would allow them to overcome actor aging issues and to have more flexibility in time-line setting.

I'd be willing to bet that's the plan - The Adventures Of Indiana Jones: The Animated Series.

Possible story arcs or elements or 'McGuffins'-

1963 thru 1969 - Cuban Missile Crisis / Devil's Triangle / Cthulhu-homage related connection / Indy in an underwater adventure / Mutt's first mission / Mutt being drafted into Vietnam / anti-war peace rally / Woodstock / biker gangs / space race

1939 thru 1950 - Indy's various roles in WWII after The Last Crusade / features more Henry Sr. / Indy taking up a military uniform again / an older Short Round featured / more Sallah featured / interaction with historical people.

Prior to Temple Of Doom - stories not told in the Young Indiana Jones TV series and that lead up to Indy's prime.

18. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I want them to make an Indy movie that everyone will love so they can shut up those damn haters.

Now while i enjoyed Indy 4, I find it a bit boring at times on repeat runs.

I would love an Indy 5, surprised they didn't roll it out every 3 years fashion like the prequels.

19. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Harrison ford is old now. He's 70. But it would be kinda cool to see an old Indy.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Done. Indy 5 next!
    ...or an animated TV series.
    Or both.

Sometimes, both happen
    /LM

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
  22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But hopefully it isn't. I want to see a 70 yr old Indiana Jones! And a new awesome story. There should be references in the star wars universe, though. Indiana jones could be a clone of han solo, an ancient human alien from a galaxy in the past. I don't know if that would be cheesy to a ridiculous laughable extent, or an awesome idea that enriches both stories and ties the 2 lucas movies together.