main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Diary Challenge Thread 2012 Important annoucement please read and respond

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm okay with a hold so I can throttle my writing back to a reasonable updating schedule.

Like, perhaps, at most, once a week. Usually, I try to put in three days between updates, but I just happened to have typed that one update, so I tossed it up there. Now, though...

*Takes Zuckuss's journal away from him.* Zuckuss, no. No.

Zuckuss: But... but what if he has something important that he wishes to write down?

Write it on your wall. You'll get this back on Friday.

2. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I'll probably wait it out and hope it doesn't take too long. [face_thinking]

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I will just wait

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    If the other choice is posting on the temp board then I say just put a hold on the challenge while the boards are down and then let people catch up on the number of posts they missed that month within the next 30 days after the boards go back up.

I am really surprised that this problem has been resolved. I have been following this on Facebook and on the thread dedicated to the move and it sounded like it was going to be technically impossible to switch over without major transfer problems. Of course, since I know almost nothing about computers I could have completely misunderstood the conversation. I hope the millions of PMs (Mine go back to 2004) that are stored in everybody's accounts can be deleted. That has to be a huge waste of computer space.

I really hope this goes well. I think the worse case scenario would be if everybody had to reregister. I think my new screen name would be ginchy so everybody will read my fics. ;) But everything I have read points to a smooth transfer.

5. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I was just wondering if last year's winner was known yet? [face_thinking]

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'll just wait it out. Hopefully we will get a date when the boards will go down and we can post just before it happens. If not and for some reason I go a month without updating, I won't be too heartbroken that I am out of the challenge.

7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, it was announced on 1/17. The winner was Downward Spiral: The Diary of Syal Antilles by LaneWinree.

8. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I completely missed it. :oops:

Belated congratulations to Lane! =D= Very much deserved.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The boards will be down for a couple of weeks. There will be a temp board where you will have to re-register. When all of the JC material (and that does include PMs) is transfered, you'll get your usernames back. Everything posted on the temp boards will be gone; if you do fic updates, they'll be lost. However, the move is still probably a couple weeks away.

10. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I'm thinking due to the circumstances, we can put the challenge on hold for the time the boards are down.

It's in two weeks so there's time to get a post up until then.

11. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    I'm happy to wait out the actual move. I'll definitely be updating before it happens, though.

12. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Uh. So. I'm somewhat embarrassed I'm just finding this out now. My excuse is that I've been on the road for work for the last month and haven't had regular Internet access. [face_blush]

Wow. Thank you, everyone!

Downward Spiral was a really tough piece to write. So tough I had to make the call to step aside from this year's challenge just so I could recuperate. It really means a lot to me to have this particular fic recognized by the readers and other writers here. There were so many fantastic entries, and congratulations to everyone who stuck it through and finished.

Again, thank you so much!

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Good news!! I have just received my copy of Issue #0 of Dawn of the Jedi! I will be updating this week, so please don't kick me out of the challenge! [face_batting]

14. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    You have until the 21st of February to update.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh, so a move date has been determined, finally? Wish such a thing would happen with my move... :/

16. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    The index has been updated. Let me know if I missed anything.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Would you believe that I had no idea what this month's challenge was when I posted my two diary entries, both in some way relating to love? XD Perhaps I had seen the challenge in the mists...

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I had an entry typed up last night and I thought I'd finish this morning. I didn't save it and there was a power cut! It's all gone! :_|

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh no! :eek: Hopefully you remember most of it.

I also suggest hand-writing entries, that way you always have a back-up. Yes, it's tedious, yes, it seems unnecessary, but I hand-write all my entries and keep them all in a hardbound journal. I always have my hard copies that way.

20. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Announcement:
    The date has been set for the move. March 21st 2012 the boards will be officially down.

The competition will be placed on hold starting March 18th and will resume as soon as the boards are back up. Downtime is to be estimated between 2 to 3 weeks.

Temporary boards will be set up so communication can continue but as soon as the main boards are backup the temporary boards will be deleted.

So that's the latest news. Stay tuned for further developments.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Then during those weeks of downtime, I'll make sure to write every single day so that way when the challenge resumes, I'll have a massive backlog of entries and I'll post them all one at a time, much to the chagrin of you all. :p

22. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    She's sneaky that way... ;)

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    On the plus side it'll give me a chance to get more background material for my diary. The next issue of the comic is out soon, and if I'm really lucky then I'll get two issues before the boards are back. ;)

24. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    The index has been updated

The challenge will be placed on hold tomorrow midnight board time. The challenge will resume when the boards are back up officially. Anyone in the orange will have two weeks to update their fics.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Heh. With Zuckuss's comments about the changing weather in "Wasting," I had once again inadvertently nailed the challenge without even knowing about it. Perhaps I am getting a bit too deep into Zuckuss's head... I'm starting to foresee things in the mists...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.