main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does R2 leave Anakin at Mustafar?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by HevyDevy, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    After the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel, notice R2 kind of automatically follows Obi-Wan onto Padme's ship?
    R2-D2 seems to sense Anakin's turn as well, for example he says something to Threepio to which Threepio answers "Well he is under a lot of stress". And when Anakin asks him to stay with the ship on Mustafar he gives a concerned whir as if to say something has changed.
    So I get the feeling R2, rather than wait for Anakin, has practically abandoned Anakin as if he has written him off. It's like he no longer has that bond that would make him wait. What do you think?

2. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    Yeah, R2 is smart enough to know that something is off. He likely witnessed some of the duel as well and the dialogue between the two fighters. Perhaps he even saw Anakin attacking Padme. Given that he can scan long distances for lifeforms (ESB), he probably detected Anakin's slaughter of the Separatist leaders.

It's sad, considering the bond that they have with Anakin always sticking up for R2 and R2 being there for Anakin since he was a kid. I never really considered it before your post, but Anakin's choices must have saddened R2 as much as they did Obi-wan and Padme (to the extent that R2 can feel sadness).

3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Anakin says the "stay behind" thing to R2 twice in Revenge of the Sith, and it seems R2 detects the contrast the second time.

It's very different to Luke and R2's chemistry, when Luke is practically a Jedi in ROTJ, he comes back for the droids on Tatooine.

It sounds silly, but I wonder if Artoo knows who Vader is in ANH.

4. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    ... and also whether or not he recognizes Obi-Wan when he catches up with him on Tatooine.

The way Obi-Wan addresses him ("my little friend" or whatever, I don't remember) certainly could be reinterpreted that way, now that the whole saga is finished.

5. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    ^Definitely to both. The movies are told, to an extent, from the droids point of views. The end of ROTS makes the beginning of ANH all the more hilarious. R2 knows exactly what is going on while 3PO doesn't have a clue.

Jeanine Berry and Lea-El like this.
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah, r2 is the only character that knows everything that's going on.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  7. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    ^ So R2 knew that Palpatine was Sidious, all along?

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Artoo is aware that Anakin has become evil. The novelization and the "Swarm War" trilogy reveal that Artoo had hacked into the Jedi Temple's security cameras and saw what was going down when the attack took place. He even recorded it. He also witnessed Anakin choking Padme and the start of the duel. That's why he doesn't go looking to see if Anakin was okay, when he didn't come back with Obi-wan. After spending time with Luke, he realizes that he is definitely not like his father. Hence his continued to devotion to Luke and his family in the years to come.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i meant from the pre through the ot. but who knows maybe.
    if he saw the recordings then he saw what obi and yodi saw.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, yes he did

11. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    He probably thought anakin was dead.... he saw them both fighting and obiwan came back alone. why would he wait for someone whos probably not coming back. plus he would have ditched him anyways R2 knew he was evil

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  12. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I think r2 and c3po were more concerned with Padme and her life signs at that moment. They answered to her as well. And assuming Anakin was gone they probably went with their second directive which is to make sure she is okay.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think R2 would realize that Anakin would want Padme safe so R2 went with them. R2 saw the beginning of the battle and when he saw Obi-Wan come back realized there was no need to stay.

14. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I can imagine he did, he was probably pretty sad over the fact that Anakin went evil, considering how close they were.

15. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think Artoo and Anakin had a similar relationship, at least when Anakin was a Jedi. He respected and valued Artoo like a lifeform, and continually stood up for him when Obi-Wan would put him down as simply a pathetic droid.

16. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    I swore c3po had a change of expression when he heard his memory was to be wiped. I had to watch it again.

17. Jeanine Berry

Jeanine Berry Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2012
    Plus, we all know that R2 can't stay far away from 3P0 for too long anyway.

I also say that it's because he knew then that Anakin was Vader and he was trouble. I felt for R2 after Vader told him to stay with the ship...and that pitiful little squeak from R2, as in "Uh oh!"

18. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    He's a heartless little malfunctioning twerp! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.