main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Combining the Universes (The crossover discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Skywalker_T-65, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Thanks Striker, and you know, I think I might have another discussion now. Though all the posts I have on here makes me feel like I am spamming my own thread sometimes.

To all Crossover writers: If you have written a crossover and actually posted it, have you noticed that very few people tend to read them, unless you are an amazing writer (Striker) or it is Star Trek/SW? Any advice for your fellow readers and writers on getting more reviews, since it is very depressing to go through all the work of writing something but not having anyone take the time to read it.

2. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Ok, this will be the last major post I make on any thread for a while. I hate to drop my problems on here, but in relation to my last discussion idea, I am going through a hard time writing wise right now. The only thing I am posting that anyone is taking the time to respond to is over on FF.net. That would be one of my Bleach stories, and the other one is Jedi Gundam/Return of the Exiles. Problem being, that while the Bleach one gets good reviews, Jedi Gundam is being picked apart like crazy. I can understand I am not very clear on somethings, but they don't give me a chance to explain and it is depressing to see your work picked apart like that (even if I admit they mean well and it can help). So like I said, with no one responding to my stuff here, and with the fact I don't want to force my problems on other people, I am going to abstain from the boards for a while, except to reply to stories that I read because I don't want the other authors to go through the same thing. Goodbye for now.

Edit: Sorry I sound so depressing, but I am just saying what is going through my head right now.

3. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Okay, I'm done with my self-induced exile. I'm sorry if my last post was depressing and OOC for me, but I was not in any sort of good mood at the time. So I hope that doesn't keep people from reading the thread, even though it looks like no one cares about it, or the newest discussion anyway.

4. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Hey, Skywalker_T-65, I'm glad you're back. Just so you know your effort isn't wasted, I lurk on this thread a lot even though I rarely come up with anything intelligent to add. :)

Well, I've never posted a crossover so I can't answer the question directly, but I will say that doesn't surprise me at all that a lot of crossovers have trouble finding readers. From my experience, people tend to read what they know and what they are pretty sure they will like (for example, stories featuring their favorite characters or 'ships, or from a writer they know well). So if no one has heard of the other universe, they aren't likely to click into the story. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, that's just been my observations.

As far getting more readers, I'm not one to ask as my (non-crossover) stories don't tend to get many readers. But there are a few general tips that would apply to any story, including crossovers: spend some time making sure the formatting is as readable and appealing as possible, comment on other people's stories, put links to your stories in your profile and/or signature, participate in challenges, and try writing one-shots so people can get to know your style without facing a huge epic. And crossover writers are not the only ones who have these struggles - there is a thread dedicated to just this issue: No, really, how do you get people to read your fics?

I think the best advice is to just keep posting even though it can be frustrating, because you never know who may be lurking or who may find your story later on if you just stick with it.

5. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Upping the thread to make sure it doesn't die like the last one. And again, if you have any ideas for a discussion of your own, put it up, I don't bite.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I saw this and almost fell over laughing:

[image=https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/314834_10150415543454673_517104672_10032697_390672352_n.jpg]

[face_laugh]

Also, Patrick Stewart looks hawt in that picture. [face_love]

7. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    ^Nice. That is one of the funnier things I have seen in a while. On another note though, and one not really crossover related, I have a little Poll I want to start. For each of these universes you can pick one ship as your favorite. I just want to see what people like, in case I ever decide to do a fanfic with one of them. The universes are: Star Trek, Star Wars, Halo, oBSG and nBSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, and one other that you can pick yourself. For my personal choices, we have these:

ST: Excelsior
    SW: Victory
    Halo: Forerunner Dreadnought
    Stargate: Aurora
    and finally Gundam SEED: Archangel

Those are my choices, I haven't seen much of either BSG, and none of B5 so I can't put choices there, I just put them in case anyone else wanted to choose one. Let me know what you think, lets keep this thread going till I can think of another discussion or challenge to put up.

8. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Okay then...this also isn't really crossover related, but I have a new story idea, and I would like some input on it. Here's what I have so far:

Instead of joining Palpatine, Anakin tries to stop him, after Mace is thrown out the window. Palpy is too strong (even in his weakened state) and Anakin is forced to flee. He gets off Coruscant (after getting as many Jedi as he could from the Temple) and flees to three of his orbiting ships. The three Venators then flee out of Republic space, since they were under attack by Palpy loyalists. Thanks to having to do a blind jump, they stumble on a planet with ancient ruins that doesn't appear on any Starcharts. After some exploration, Anakin finds that this is Thython, the Jedi Homeworld, lost for hundreds of years. After setting up a base and getting the Jedi refugees off his ships, Anakin takes the Redemption (the flagship) to find the rest of the Open Circle Fleet. It had mutinied in support of the Jedi, and had been whittled down to a handful of ships (2 Venators, 5 Victory's, and 6 Dreadnaughts).

With this small fleet, Anakin heads back to Tython. Padme meanwhile had gone looking for him with Obi-Wan, and managed to find a picket Dreadnaught that was looking for Jedi. After being taken to Thython, Padme gives birth to Luke and Leia. The group then sets up the planet as a hidden base for the Jedi Order (renamed the Tython Jedi Order, to signify the Old Order is gone), with the renamed Tython Defense Fleet guarding it. The story then goes through a time skip, taking back off a few months pre-ANH. There will also be other Rebel Groups (a group of clones that supported their Generals and fled to Lehon (Rakata Prime) with a small fleet, a Republic Loyalist Admiral with a fleet of older Venators and Vic's, but with the last Mandator Class Star Dreadnought as the flagship... and some other groups I haven't hashed out yet). What does that sound like? Is it any good? A more pertinent question considering the lack of reviews I get would be...will anyone actually review this? Please give me some feedback, I need to know if I should even bother posting this.

9. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Hello? (voice echoes through the empty thread)

Anyone actually use this thing anymore?

In an attempt to revive the thread, I have another in my long line of crossover ideas. In this case it is a redone version of my Sol Hope story from a while back. I haven't got a chapter ready yet...but I did hash out a timeline for the Sol Confederacy this time around...I'll post it here for people to view and hopefully give me feedback on. Lets revive this dying thread people!

1947 AD/323 BBY: A small freighter crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. The only people aboard were a handful of Duros teenagers, all of whom died on impact. This ship would be moved to the notorious Area 51 for extensive testing.

2000 AD/ 266 BBY: First test flight of the rebuilt freighter. Sets off alarm bells in Moscow and Beijing, since they had spies in place to see the new ?airplane?.

2007 AD/ 259 BBY: After numerous failed diplomatic approaches, WWIII begins, with the Peoples Republic of China and the Russian Federation attacking the United States led Western Coalition. The war was brought on by a lack of resources in the Eastern Federation (name for China/Russia Alliance) and wanting to capture the Duros ship.

2014 AD/ 252 BBY: After seven years of stalemated war, with neither side gaining a real advantage, the use of nuclear weapons begins. Most of the major cities on both sides are obliterated.

2025 AD/ 241 BBY: The world is finally starting to recover from the nuclear devastation of WWIII. In an old abandoned military base in Iowa, the Duros ship is found by a scouting group of the new United Earth Republic. They immediately send it to St. Louis, Missouri, one of the few surviving large cities, and now site of the largest military base in the former United States.

2032 AD/234 BBY: The launch of UERS Enterprise, the first true spacecraft in Earth history. It starts on a trip to Mars to start the first colony on the red planet, using technology found on the Duros freighter. But it didn?t have the main drive system of the older ship, since the hyperdrive was still too advanced for Earth scientists to reverse engineer it.

2062 AD/ 204 BBY: The scientists working on the Duros ship finally manage to make a working hyperdrive. It is a slow one, not even Class 8 by the Galaxy?s standards. But it is enough to send a retrofitted Enterprise and its sister ships Lexington and Yorktown to Alpha Centuari.

2063 AD/ 203 BBY: Establishment of Arcadia, the first Earth Colony outside of Sol, in the Alpha Centuari system.

2080 AD/186 BBY: Several Colony ships are sent to other nearby systems, including Epsilon Eridani, Epsilon Indi, and Tau Ceti. No other intelligent life forms are found, and the colonies flourish because of that.

2085 AD/181 BBY: The Enterprise and its class are retired, with the name ship put in a museum next to the Duros ship on Earth.

2110 AD/ 156 BBY: The Phoenix class cruiser is put into service.

2130 AD/ 126 BBY: First contact with the piratical Vaggari is made. The Phoenix class Cruiser, Deception is destroyed.

2132 AD/ 124 BBY: The Vaggari launch an attack on the colony Cestus in the Epsilon Indi System. The United Earth 1st Starfleet repels the attack with heavy losses on both sides. First introduction of Earth Mass Driver technology, as the modified Phoenix Cruisers use large variants to destroy Vaggari ships.

2136 AD/ 120 BBY: The Earth Fleet pushes the Vaggari out of Republic territory.

2145 AD/ 111 BBY: The few remaining Phoenix class ships are retired. The Defender Class Cruiser replaces them; with Archangel class Destroyers and Terra class Frigates backing them up.

2175 AD/ 81 BBY: The United Earth Republic is reformed into the Sol Confederacy, with the old name only being the Capitals form of government. First contact with the Chiss Ascendancy is made.

2176 AD/ 80 BBY: The Confederacy/Chiss Wars begin, with the extremely xenophobic Chiss attacking a Sol force of Archangel class and Terra class vessels exploring an unclaimed system on their border, though the Chiss claimed the Sol vessels fired first, it would never be

10. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Yep...dead as a doornail. Well then...upping the thread one more time, now that the new boards are here. Hopefully people come back to it now...but we'll see. And man, was I depressing back then *winces*

11. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Skywalker T-65 - Your timeline sounds interesting, though I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with Star Trek or early SW history to fully appreciate it.

I don't know if this is off-topic, since it's not really even sci-fi, but I think there's a Tru Calling/White Collar cross-over just dying to be written. Not sure I could pull it off myself, but I'd love to read it if someone else did!

12. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Good thing you revived it, I was enjoying it on the temp boards :)

That is one nice timeline you have posted. Sounds awesome! :D

Tarsier Did you have a different name on the the temp boards? I'm a bit disoriented from the move :p

13. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Nope, I was Tarsier over there too. I don't think I posted in the cross-over thread on the temp boards though.

14. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah. Then it's nice to meet you :)

15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Ironically enough, I already have 10 or so chapters of that fic written.:p

I think its posted somewhere in the fanfic section...got to go digging for that...

EDIT: Found it...but since I'm in the middle of a re-write I'm just going to 're-re-post it' since this is like the third version of it.:p

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  16. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
  17. NunaKnight

NunaKnight Jedi Padawan

Aug 14, 2011
    Naruto crossover open for adoption:

Around approximately 39 BBY, a mature Naruto (or another ninja) is teleported to Tatooine, currently a Hutt-ruled world with slavery. Incensed at the slavery, Naruto builds up a resistance movement on the planet and beyond. The plan is to overthrow the Hutts and establish a confederacy of sorts based on the shinobi ninja system. He first builds up support on Tatooine, allying with not only the slaves but also the native Jawas and Sand People, but gradually extends outward to places such as Ryloth and Toydaria; although Hutt-allied, Toydaria is feudal based, and Watto is savvy enough to make a deal that will secure him a position as daimyo on his homeworld. In the process, he also befriends the Skywalkers- also Watto to a degree- and begins to teach Anakin to be a ninja.

The revolution is set to kick off in sync with the Boonta Eve festival in 32 BBY- just as a Naboo ship is landing on the desert planet. The revolution takes the Hutts and the Republic by surprise. Although they aren't able to seize the entire Hutt Space, they are able to free a number of planets to form the Shinobi Alliance. The system of government is somewhat fragmented, with sovereignty split between "lands" on different planets- and even between them- but maintain relative allegiance with each other. In addition, the shinobi approach to wars and missions attract a number of converts, ranging from the Sand People to Toydarians to Rodians. The Hutts' arrogance costs them dearly, as the ninjas take them by utter surprise. They manage to survive- as usual- but now have a new enemy that also is a rival by taking up the bounty hunter niche. I think the initial Shinobi Alliance would include Tatooine, Ryloth, Geonosis, Toydaria, Gamorr, and Naboo.

Although the Republic is happy to know the unsavory Hutts have been taught a lesson, tensions begin to rise, first among those invested in the Hutts and but soon others as it becomes clear that the Shinbobi do not intend to join the Republic. To compound matters, some Republic planets are interested in the expanding confederacy. Depending on how things worked out, Naboo could be the first Republic-alligned world to join; as in canon, Amidala is frustrated with the Senate's inability to help, but this time finds an option that no one was expecting. Other worlds also begin to join, such as Kalee and Mandalore. Even infamous Gamorr joins the Shinobi, albeit with dozens of "villages" representing it.

Adding to the tensions is the Jedi's strained relationship with the Shinbobi and their irreverent approach to the Force. I think that ninjas wouldnt see the Light and Dark side in the same light as the Jedi, since their view is generally more practical. They might decide to limit "Dark Side" techniques with a warning that is appears to have debilatory affects on the mind, but wouldn't view things in the same good vs. evil way as the Jedi.

As a result of all this, a situation begins to build up mirroring the Clone Wars. The Shinobi initially avoid conflict with the Republic and focus instead on continuing their war with the Hutts, but over time things would reach a breaking point. The question would be how the new Clone-Shinobi Wars would turn out. I wonder what Palpatine/Sidious would do in order to be able to influence both sides in the war, since the Shinobi already have leadership.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.