main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Saga 3D Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Yeah, while I was bored by the 3D in TPM, I saw Hugo the other day and the 3D was just amazing. It kind of restored the faith in 3D I'd lost with TPM. Great movie too, of course.

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    how many theaters is TPM opening in Japan?

3. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Really? I didn't notice anything special about the 3D in "Hugo" either, really. A good use of foreground, but that's just elementary filmmaking, for Scorsese. Then again, I also thought the movie was a monumental bore, so 3D wasn't likely to influence me there.

4. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I honestly never see anything incredible about 3D. I watch films in 3D so rarely that I don't mind paying for the star wars rereleases.

I think before I saw Hugo in 3D the last film I saw in 3D was avatar.

5. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    I think one's enjoyment of 3-D is often a very subjective thing. The 3-D in "Hugo" isn't bad, considering it is native 3-D, and Scorsese really uses it to highlight stuff in the foreground, like JFP said.

Having said that, I think TPM had by far the best conversion of any movie I've seen, even though it's not "in-your-face" 3-D, rather, it is used in somewhat subtler ways, but it really adds, well, depth to just about every scene. It also makes the interaction between the live actors and the CG characters and environments seem much more "realistic" for the same reasons that it made such interaction more believable in "Avatar".

6. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I'll agree with the sentiment that the subtle 3D is more impressive than the stuff that flies at you. I haven't seen any feature-length 3D movies, but the previews were in 3D

Most of the 3D in TPM is like "wow, Obi-Wan really IS standing behind a chair" or "the sky really IS in the background" which might sound pretty cool, but it's still just the same movie, only with less imagination required. One shortcoming of the 3D conversion that I perceived was the tendency of characters at a certain point far away in the background being entirely 2D, and very flat-looking compared to characters in the foreground.

Drewton likes this.
  7. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    I think I'd totally disagree with that. I don't believe you're supposed to go "wow" just because Obi-Wan really is standing behind a chair... but the fact is, if he is standing behind a chair, then the 3-D simply has to reflect that, doesn't it? I don't think it's supposed to make you go, "wow!". :p

As I said before, the really cool thing about watching TPM in 3-D is that - not only does it give the whole movie a true three-dimensional feeling - but it helps make the integration of live actors and CG characters/environments much more seamless, more believable than it was before.

I didn't notice any problems with the characters in the background. I think the way you describe it is the way things are *supposed* to look, the perspective simply replicates how you tend to see things IRL.

8. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    let's be honest, it was just an excuse to replace puppet younger yoda with cgi younger yoda: a move I support.

It's just great to see it on the big screen again, but I agree it's more immersive.

question: were the naboo cows running away from the tanks at the starts of the final battle added in?

9. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I wish there were images of the Japan premiere, I wanted to see carrie fisher and jake lloyd!

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Honestly, I don't think so. Why should a theater release be necessary to make a change? Besides, it was already on the Blu-ray.

No.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. Although I was dissappointed, mainly because the screen at the Theater I saw it at was dim and out of focus, and I missed my chance to see it again at a theater I've had way better experiences with 3D at. I still do acknowledge that the 3D made certain CG characters/places seem more realistic in each scene.

I think the thing is that now that it's been over 2 years since Avatar, movies that were only in production at the time are the ones now coming out. I've noticed that over the course of 2011, 3D conversions have seemed to gradually improve from the "Airbender Effect," as certain movies have since then been made with the INTENTION of being in 3D (instead of just a last minute slap-on cash grab cos the producers got all excited about the success of avatar, like Clash of the Titans, for example). I recall Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Transformers Dark of the Moon and Captain America in particular looking fantastic in 3D...because they went into preproduction with the intention of having these in 3D.

I think that because of this, 3D will start improving in great strides over time, as people start figuring out what it is they like to see with the conversion, and moviemakers react to that, since there are now many more examples of what's good and what's bad. This could fare well for the future SW 3D theatrical releases...[face_thinking]

12. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Did anyone else get free posters and the opportunity to donate to a charity for TPM 3D in the US?

I hope they do it for all of the films, I have the TPM 3D poster in my room, it would be a shame for it to be the only one I own!

Total Boxoffice so far is around 97 million worldwide. Has any data from Japan been added yet?

13. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    I found this on World of KJ Forums;
    March 17-18, 2012
    Weekend Estimates (based on the Usual Locations)

01 (01) Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles (Toho) ¥304,000,000 ($3.8 million), Week 3
    02 (-) We Were There: Part I (Toho/Asmik Ace) ¥277,000,000 ($3.5 million), Week 1
    03 (02) Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows (Warner Bros.) ¥180,000,000 ($2.2 million), Week 2
    04 (03) Liar Game: Reborn (Toho) ¥172,000,000 ($2.1 million), Week 3
    05 (-) Pretty Cure All Stars New Stage: Friends of the Future (TOEI) ¥159,000,000 ($2 million), Week 1
    06 (-) Puss in Boots (Paramount) ¥150,000,000 ($1.9 million), Week 1
    07 (-) Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace (3D) (FOX) ¥101,000,000 ($1.3 million), Week 1
    08 (-) The Iron Lady (Gaga) ¥95,000,000 ($1.1 million), Week 1
    09 (04) Hugo (Paramount) ¥58,000,000 ($700,000), Week 3
    10 (-) Ouran High School Host Club: The Movie (Sony) ¥42,000,000 ($510,000), Week 1

Regards
    Nordom

14. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Then I imagine TPM 3D will have hit the 100 million worldwide take soon or already.

I think thats a satisfying amount of money for a rerelease.

Its made more than ROTJ special edition.

Now that Japan has its release, I want the news for AOTC. Somehow I doubt it will come this fall. I personally think its still going to be yearly.

Even if 3D dies out, star wars will be one of the few movies to keep going with it. Its not going to be over saturation by the time the Original trilogy is released in 3D.

I feel we would have seen a schedule shift or news of some tie ins by now. five months seems too quick for these things to happen.

15. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    So whats the latest news on Japan? Any links?

16. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Nordom has posted something above my post, other than that, i found some pictures of Jake lloyd in Japan via facebook but thats it.

17. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Ok so getting back on topic now that the move is finally over:

We have good news from the official site fellow fans:

http://starwars.com/news/episode_ii_and_episode_iii_in_3d.html

AOTC and ROTS now have their release dates and I think it was a very brilliant idea to release the films this way.

This way the first Episode in each trilogy gets its own single big release with the next two episodes to follow acting as the finally to that respective trilogy. So its now safe to assume ANH will get its own release with TESB and ROTJ to follow one month after the other.

[face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

Darth-Dogfish-Head likes this.
  18. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I think that would be a great move obi-rob, I hope they do it. Can't wait for II and III in 3D!

19. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Stoked for both of them! Mustafar is gonna look AMAZING.

20. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It sucks we have to wait a whole year though :(

21. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    And it does wonders for the cliff-hangar endings of both AOTC and TESB. Kids and familys will walk out of the theater and say "I cant wait till next month so we can see the conclusion".

Works with Lucas's whole idea of the Saga being like the old saturday afternoon adventure cereals as well. Its perfect. [face_party]

At celebration 6 John Knoll and Dennis Muren both confirmed the 3D is going to be even more advanced (read better) than with TPM which I for one thought was excellent. [face_dancing]

I cant wait for all the hype and advertising campaigns!:-B

Darth-Dogfish-Head likes this.
  22. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Putting AOTC and ROTS so close together was a bad move. I feel like both releases will really suffer because of it. I'm probably only going to see one, and that will be ROTS.

23. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Meh, I'll see them both, if only for the nostalgia.

24. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    AOTC is by far my least favorite of the six films, but I will still be at the midnight show in Boston opening night, there's nothing like it.