main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I haven't read the details of the CBS show, but I feel like this should be a difficult case to make.

I mean, just from the jumping-off point of "modern-day Sherlock Holmes", it seems like there would inevitably be a lot of things that come off rather identical, especially given how much the BBC show pulled from the original books.

Not to say this isn't a crappy thing for CBS to pull, but if all they're copying is "modern-day Holmes" and the rest of the similarities come from "we're modernizing the same source material" I don't know that the BBC will have a case.

Remember Deep Impact/Armageddon?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    And Hustle/Leverage

And those examples aren't even about material that is out of copyright.

It's like what happened when Nigel Kennedy got to number one with Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Every other violinist then brought out their own version. Out of copyright, can't sue.

I'm very surprised the BBC are doing this. I expect it's for the publicity for its own show more than anything.

3. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And Antz/A Bug's Life

Finding Nemo/Shark's Tale

The list is endless.*

*Well, not actually endless, but it's pretty damned long

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't think the law suit will be based off of the fact that both shows are modern day Holmes adaptations though. It's probably going to be based more off whether Elementary steals stylisticaly from Sherlock.

For example if Elementary has Sherlock's rather cool expositionary device where text on a phone/computer appears in mid air for the audience to see then there would be a case that Elementary has actively stolen from Sherlock.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes. I assume it's those little touches that the BBC hope will remain signature.

6. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Snow White and the Huntsman/Mirror Mirror

7. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    http://www.tvshark.com/read/?art=arc8597

Interesting.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with that article that this is probably at least partly an attempt to distance themselves from Sherlock. And I do think it will help fully squash the lawsuit (which, frankly, I didn't see as having a very good chance of succeeding anyway).

Unfortunately I think this quite obviously means they will, in fact, turn a large focus of the show to a will-they-won't-they relationship (spoilers: they will). They will totally Starbuck and Apollo them. Which isn't necessarily wrong or anything, but is just kind of eye-rollingly predictable in this particular case. And isn't one bit surprising for a CBS adaptation. I feel like the way Sherlock deals with that situation (there, to me at least, clearly being no sexual tension between the characters but everyone in the universe hilariously mistaking them for a couple) is apt and nicely done. But I'm also sure for a network US show, it's way more appealing to just chuck that sort of thing to the wind and embrace it instead... so long as it's now heterosexual, of course.

I don't really want to wish anything bad on Miller, who is indeed a good actor. But I really wish this show would tank. I have a feeling it's going to be exactly the kind of dumbed down travesty one would expect from the premise of 'CBS does a Sherlock Holmes show!' But this being CBS and their audience being what it is, I can easily see such an obvious version of the story being a big hit.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Looks like Moffat is concentrating on Series 7 and the 50th Anniversary this year. Good. :D

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree with Mar on this issue.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Darn. I have way more interest in Sherlock. :p

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I've just watched the pilot of "Elementary".

Wow. That was unbelievably bland and boring. It's obvious that "Elementary" took more than just one leaf out of "Sherlock"'s book (modern setting, the coat+scarf combo, some of Sherlock's mannerisms), but I'm sorry, Jonny Lee Miller is nowhere near the same league as Benedict Cumberbatch. And tattoos? Hiring hookers? Ugh.

Lucy Liu is... Lucy Liu. She's just there, there's nothing remarkable about her, nothing special whatsoever, not an ounce of character.

And it all looks so DULL! [face_tired] I had to force myself to be interested in the plot. There's no juice, no ease, it doesn't have the flow of "Sherlock", there's no humour to spice it up.

Waste of time, really.

(Also, despite Jonny Lee Miller speaking in an English accent, he keeps using Americanisms like "cell" instead of "mobile" and mispronouncing "valet". Meh.)

Random Comments likes this.
  14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Hot damn. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Was getting ready to ask if anybody had seen the leaked pilot.

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes. It's offensively bland.

yankee8255 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  18. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I rewatched the last 15 minutes again last night, how he faked his death is becoming less and less interesting, I think several key elements are pretty clear (garbage truck, using the ball to weaken his pulse, using Molly and t the Homeless Network to help with the aftermath, the bike messenger, possibly the halucinogenic from hound, Sherlock's "testing" on the CIA agent in Scandal -- specifically on rubbage bins/bags!). I'm sure there are twists we're missing, and I'm certainly looking forward to the full reveal. To me the really interesting questions, though, are

(1) the question E brought up, why does Sherlock need to confess to Holmes? Maybe just to buy time to get his people into position on the gruond?
    (2) the Moriarity/Sherlock dialogue. What does Moriarity see that makes him shoot himself? He's been tortured by Mycroft and British intelligence, what does he fear Sherlock will do that will get him to talk? Was Sherlock really fooled into believing the code existed? There seems to be so much going on under the surface of that conversation, maybe I'm just too dense to pick it up.

EDIT: Anyone else think Mrs Hudson is "in on it" knows that Sherlock is alive?

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I don't think Mrs. Hudson is in on it, but Mycroft very probably is (just like in the books).

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think it would be hard for him to pull it off without Mycroft, yeah. And I don't really think the mystery of how he did it is really supposed to be all that mind blowing. I'm more interested in the personal repercussions of him faking his death. That's what the end of TRF focuses on anyhow.

Glad some other people have seen the Elementary pilot now too. Basically Mar agreed with everything I've said since Comic Con. The hookers and tattoos thing is offensively stupid and so transparently trying to be hip. And yet for the things like that, in the end the episode was simply really, really boring and bland. I don't know how you make Sherlock boring.. but making him Not Sherlock seemed to do the trick.

21. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Well...I think the tattoos are because they felt it was appropriate for the character, and didn't want to have to cover up Miller's real tattoos. The hooker...yeah.

I'm still interested. But then, Sherlock BBC has left me both excited and furious, not satisfied like it seems to have left most of fandom, so I guess I'm just odd.

22. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Season 2 is supposedly on Netflix now.

23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    It is. If you haven't seen it yet...do it now!

Of course, most people that would read the thread have likely seen it a couple times by now. :p

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    It's hit Netflix? Yay!

I'd love to be able to see series 3 sometime next year.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well they're filming in January so my guess is late summer.

Glad series 2 is up on Netflix, especially since my friend who borrowed my blu rays has yet to return them.