main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The RPF Policies, Programs, and Events Thread - Now Disc.: New User Welcomes

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Aug 24, 2008.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Um... the discussion time is limited to a week. Often less since folks tend to cede the floor.

Incidentally, I'm not angry, just pointlessly verbose. :p

2. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    I was being silly you goof [face_laugh]. They lasted a week? Are you sure? It certainly felt longer in several cases[face_devil]. Would you at least consider another discussion on this with more people? I would like to see if someone can come up with something better than I can as a solution to the boredom issue.:-B Where is a nerd with sheldon IQ when you need one?

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Very, to Ramza, that is.

4. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Methinks the System did not work, before we had the quere , because people always choose to discuss the game of their fav user. And everybody got ignored. And some of our best critics have limited time to discuss games, which means people would fight for their attention. Because they make the more useful input. And actually if s.o. is not interested more discussions wont help. The contrary i think. So I say let is keep the sYstem. It worked. Better than before.

Penguinator-176 likes this.
  5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm going to be moving the relevant posts here over to the discussion thread. This might destroy everything.

... Well, not really, but it should be amusing.

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I agree. People are no longer vying for attention and this system ensures that everyone gets a chance.

If the issue is boredom and not being interested in a particular topic that is being discussed, then just take a pass for that round. No one is forcing you to read every single post and participate against your will.

7. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Ah, posts were moved over here! It all makes sense now.

I do see L_A's point, to some extent. People generally want their OPs to be critiqued ASAP, I understand that. You don't want to be waiting a fortnight when you're sitting on a great new game. On the other hand, if we gave OPs priority over other topics, then we'd just get an endless stream of them, with no room for the other stuff.

Perhaps we could run two simultaneous queues within the same thread: one for discussions/features, one for OP reviews. People could post in response to either item or both. We could trial run it.

8. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I do think we´ve been there, all we might do is repeat our past mistakes to see it still doesn´t work. In all honesty, I always feel taking time to criticize a game is kind of a service to thecommunity. In many of those you will never play and therefore you would usually not care. But you do take time to read them and write about them, because . . . this is a community and if I need help I hope people will read mine, too. Put up three games and I will tilt. There is a limit to what you should do in the RPR. We´re all here to play. I won´t criticize three games a week, enter two discussions and do ONE KRIFFIN post to play in a game. That´s just not . . . making sense to me. But I will do three posts in a game have fun and then stroll over in an extra minute to see what GDG got to offer this week and give an opion, maybe even advice if I have some . . .

Thing is, we should not make the mistake to give RPR priority. It should be treated as an extra or people will withdraw.

These arent the day were Codex09 and Hammer are fighting philosophical battles over Market Theory and three to four good games come up every week. We have fewer games, lesser people and we need to build up. And where do we build up? In GAMES. Not in discussions.

And there is another way. What do GMs do who don´t wanna go public or have no time to wait? they send OPs to trusted GMs and ask for opinions. LordT was a private game critics for years and out of his smithery came some of our greatest successes. (I can say that now, because he is no longer around) Is it good? Maybe not. Is it better to do three game discussions the same time? No, it isn´t either.

I see LA´s point. I really, really do. But truth is, that there is no way around treating our resources carefully. Give people one thread to discuss highlights the thread, makes discussions managable. I seriously think the five critic or so we have would simply spread among three games leaving every one of them with ONE AND A THIRD opinion on it. Or they would all go for the game that is best and leave behind the other two. But the other two need their help more, do they? Making games better is something that needs ressources. Time and thought. Two rare ressoruces who got rarer. We should spend them wisely.

What we COULD do is cut discussions shorter, if they die down premature. Mayn games are done after three or four days. We could PM the GM (again a ressource question, this time Winged´s spare time) and ask if he is done. That might speed up things. Beyond that I think getting too ambitious might be contraproductive.

My 0.02 cents. Whatever the Euro is worth nowadays :p

9. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    Hmm now there is an idea

That not quite as easy for me. I just get frustrated with lines that stifle creativity and normal lines in general. I know we have to have system but can we maybe do better? I really dunno.

10. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    LA, I really think you see the current system and you see it´s flaws. And you are right, waiting can suck.

But you did not see the GDG as it originally was. We had no quere once. And new users put up there games and then someone came who was better known, more desirable with his game. And once Fin puts up his Sins of the Sisters or Winged his Lea Monde III the attention goes there, pushing the younger ones aside.

Fin spoke wisdom up there. Time isa ressource. We won´t get people to post more if we divide attention. We will get them to favour certain topics, as it was before the quere . . . leaving those pushed under frustrated. It was broekn system we repaired with the Quere.

11. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    I see his point and your point and I kind of remember a little bit of the old system. This is resource and I appreciate and even think it necessary to treat it with respect which is why I am asking the hard questions and putting suggestions forward. I'm not trying to destroy or say system is horrible when I see the positives put forward by others. I'm trying to improve the system and dust it off and sometimes we have to see the arguments for and against something to make better decisions.

12. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Yes, I remember those dark days. These speak wisdom of it, many I saw trampled under posts, games that never were considered as others rushed to names they knew over the possibilities of an unknown GM. Those were the dark days, the days before the Que. Overall the new system while flawed gives those the chance to be properly considered, and as such may have time flaws, but is a vast improvement from the times when we didnt' have it.

13. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    Aye that is what I've been told. I certainly never advocated that we should get rid of it.

14. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I admit ... I laughed. That would be an excellent game title. :p

I think cutting discussion time down to three or four days is a good idea.

15. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    So we got a name . . . now we just need a lame excuse to write around the whole apocalypse thing and we got a Quadrology going!

Anyway, seriously . . . how many people really want more than one discussion at a time? From what I see we got a pretty clear majority against minority situation here, do we?

16. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think our current set up works fairly well. I feel like this is a discussion that gets brought up whenever big changes are implemented in the boards as a whole.

17. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    So are we continuing as usual (with some added flexibility as to the discussion time)? Presuming that I'm still chairing the Game Group, I will happily give OPs priority over all other topics, in order that no one has to wait too long for their idea to be analysed.

18. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    I certainly hope you are, Winged. You did an excellent job!

19. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Aww cheers Sirak. I'm definitely up for it- as soon as we reach a consensus on this I'll go and get things in order. Though perhaps we already have reached a consensus?

20. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm even newer to this than most people, but I think the current system works well enough. I mean, its taking a while to get a good interest going in my new idea, but its a fringe game, so I'm not worried. Plus I'm very patient.:D

21. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Adoptions was locked? Why? Is there a "replacment plan" in works? Not that I had big love for doing the Academy over at the weclome thread, but ... well, I am just curious, I assume.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Mostly because of feedback over adoptions on the temp boards - then we made a decision formally in the move back thread, and no one objected. Then the thread popped up in WNU anyway, but wasn't supposed to do adoptions, then there was some discussion with Skiara, and Peng and I decided to close up shop completely for the time being.

As for replacement plan - that's a good question, and exactly why we had the thread closed: we're not sure. Perhaps a focus on advertising ongoing games in WNU? Just go through WNU's planned adoptions program? Set up a similar or different shop actually in the RPF? We're open to suggestions.

I liked the idea of a multilingual welcome message that Draco came up with, but in the end no one submitted a formalized proposal for what it should look like. And nearly all of our stickies are junk from truncations at the moment anyway so, uh, yeah.

23. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I´ve seen a draft of it somewhere . . . was it never submitted? gimme time and ´ll make one!

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Just to comment on this portion, the thing that really bothered me about the Adoptions program was that it wasn't bringing any new players into the RPF itself. It was its own separate game that kept all the potential newbies tied up over there and they never migrated over to the real community. I don't mind a newbie friendly game to help new players get their feet wet, but let's keep it in the community where it belongs. A thread in WNU would be helpful, yes, but I think it should just be a general welcome thread with links and helpful tips. Anything beyond that should really be kept here.

With that said, I'm curious to see what Fins has in mind. :)

25. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I agree with Solo on this issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2