main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

there seem to be a few conversations in my inbox

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Sep 3, 2012.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I assumed that our private messages weren't going to be transferred over, and I know I was fine with that. I archived them and thought that was the end of it. I figured my inbox would be empty here, as it was when I first registered at the temporary boards.

Not quite. I have all of my private messages available to me, at least near as I can tell. I won't be checking every message, that's for sure.

I'm wondering-- is there some kind of limit now, and generally speaking, what's the deal? I didn't realize we'd still have them around.

Edit: I made this thread after basically checking with an administrator, and also because I figure a number of others may have this question at some point.

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I was told that all private messages were transferred. They're broken up into individual messages like the old boards, though, unlike the new system where the entire conversation is one thread.

There is technically a limit of 100,000 conversations, but that's just a number I made up to make sure nobody was over the limit when the board opened. I'd rather set a limit as opposed to allowing unlimited conversations though, to keep the database size down.

3. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    That makes sense. I can't imagine ever hitting that limit now, even given as many conversations as I have. With reduced activity, I think it's unlikely that anyone will pile up all that many, particularly when you consider that you can have a single conversation go on for a long time. That was always true, I suppose, but if our messages were somehow merged by PM subject into single conversations, I know the number of conversations I have would drop by a lot.

I think the limit would still have to stay pretty high, though, since some of us do have a lot (a bit over 68K for me), and I'm not going to sit around for hours and delete thousands at a time.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I started a thread in JCC once to see who had the most PMs. I think Jello won with some absurdly-high number.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Mine's at 10,000-something, but I know KW's is like 3x mine.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Mine is no doubt higher than most, but on the flip side, I'm sure a few people (like Jay) have a lot more than I do. The vast majority of mine are from my moderating days.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I had like 47,000 read messages and an equal amount of sent messages. :p

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    You are quite the talker, Admiral.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've deleted about 25 pages, so far, and still have nearly 45000. Is there a way to just delete everything in one swoop, or will I need to keep going, page by page? I don't really want or need to hold on to them.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Page by page, unfortunately; though it can go a bit faster if you use the select all option on each page.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Pain in the ass... paaaaaaiiiinnn in the aaaaaaassss. :p

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Wow, that's a lot of PMs... think of the wasted server space just holding on to those things. :p

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, we couldn't delete them on the IGN boards. Sounds like a good time to do a cleanout!

14. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Oh definitely! Shrink the database a bit. And I don't even have lots of PMs, a few hundred at most. But then, most boards I hang out with have a PM limit between 50 and 500 per member.