main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What do Irvin K and Richard M think of the Special Editions and all.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ever wonder what Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand think of the changes Lucas has made to ESB and ROTJ? I know Lucas created them but what do they think? Do they dislike the changes or anything? I always wanted to know there thoughts.

2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Sadly, Richard Marquand died in 1987 from a stroke and heart attack at the age of 49, so I doubt he was ever aware of anything to do with the Special Editions before he passed.

As for Irvin Kershner, he provides commentary on the blu-ray of ESB so perhaps that would shed some light on the issue (although I haven't had the chance to view it myself). I'm not sure if it's new material, however, since sometimes the commentary is simply compiled from old interviews.

3. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh. I forget about Richard dying In 87:(

4. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    At Celebration IV, I remember Kershner saying how he loved the addition of the windows in cloud city because he had been unsatisfied with the blank walls. Kersh recalled a conversation with Lucas about the Special Editions, where Lucas stated that he added the windows in cloud city all for Kersh.

5. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Curiously though, there seems to be no statements from Kershner/Lucas/Kurz circa 1980 (for TESB) or Marquand/Lucas/Kazanjian circa 1983 about any 'disappointment' with the two films*. [face_thinking]

*unlike Lucas' stated 'reservations' about SW post-release circa '77 and '78.

6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Several years ago the official site featured "classic moments" with various quotes from behind-the-scenes. In one from before the Special Editions, Irvin Kershner mentioned how not showing much of the Wampa added to the tension of the scene.

7. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Irvin Kirshner died almost two years ago. Wow, has it really been that long? I would really like to know what he would think of the blue-ray editions of Star Wars.

Even besides that, he like the windows in the special editions.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Just because they didn't state anything before, doesn't mean there weren't any.

But answering the question: as was said, Irvin was happy with the windows. Although I wish Lucas had added one that was missing when Lando betrays Han.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the film industry typically didn't voice frustrations with their output anywhere near as publically in the 80s as they do now. Mostly because the only way anyone who probably didn't already know about said frustrations was pretty limited in ways to find out.