main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Can't say for sure what caused that, since the old board had the active topic notification email, and then a public and private email in your profile. I directed Mike to go off private email first, then public, then ATN email if possible.

I've been getting duplicates as well. Looking into it.

Styles will definitely be upgraded in the near future. There's just a lot of other stuff to cover first. :)

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Do you know when the search function will be active for regular users? I managed to find most of my fanfics, including two collaborations...but I can't find one (I know its there, just not sure of the date of the last post...it was originally posted in 2005). An active search function would help me out....then I can bookmark the fanfics. Thanks for getting the boards back up....it was worth the wait.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    We're having some technical difficulties with search at the moment, due to the plugin not being configured properly. I'm starting a new thread on that...

4. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    roguemage as Prophet...

@ LAJ_FETT: after poking about, I was able to get access with the desired Username.

If you, or another mod did any fiddling , thanks! :D

Apparently, I updated my email for that profile. I didn't think I had. But I guess that works out for the best. One email per sock/profile.

Cheers.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Two questions:

1) Is it a figment of my imagination, or is the avatar size slightly bigger than it was at the temp forum?

2) For you iPhone & Android Tapatalk users: Are you able to receive & send PM's on the boards?

6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Possibly this has been mentioned, but every time I fire up the new forums' front page, I get a very slow response from my work machine's Internet Explorer, eventually coughing up "This script is making your computer run really slow" or words to that effect. It also chugs very badly if I'm trying to copy over large tracts of text into edited posts. Part of this I'd guess I can't help since I'm on a server and thus can't access the Security settings to tell IE to not run active content or ActiveX controls, but is there some workaround from your end that might help out on this issue?

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Double post, but also something else I noticed and just logging for interest: when I go to 'Your Content', it redirects to a set of Search Results. Those results (a) don't seem to have all my posts since we came back here and (b) do have, which is very pleasing in a serendip sarenwrap zippitydoodah nice way, all my posts out of the FF: Western Australia jurisdiction from several years ago, which was otherwise a locked and disappeared forum!

8. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes. I have the iPhone 4S, and used the PM function for the new boards on Tapatalk today. Saw PMs on my mobile browser, too.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Goddamnit! :p You would think that BlackBerry, a top of the line phone manufacture, would have a PM function for Tapatalk, but noooooooooo.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man, I'm starting to look at these and wanting to post "Yeah, that's a known issue."

I recall talk of some work to try and make the boards not run like complete poop on older versions of IE via Java shenanigans (Technical jargon, y'see). Not sure how far those got.

Yeah, that's a known issue. That has something to do with how the indexing is going down, and may or may not sort itself out when the search function isn't going bonkets. My content, for example, doesn't extend back to before the move started.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Same here... very obnoxious.

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  12. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    Are we going to get our old profile information back?

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Very unlikely. I would be surprised if we did.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Just wanted to say I've been getting LOTS of duplicate alerts too

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Same. (sorry Darth-Ghost)

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, I got 10 notifications from the SSM thread quotes. :p

17. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    This is probably a silly question, but I've noticed that the post count stars display for some people, but not for others. Any particular reason for that?

18. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    I don't like this "modern technology" lark. The forums have gone all Prequel on us. Pretty and fancy and lacking life. Bring back the used universe of zerosleeps finest creation!

Or not.

Funnily, (And I can't think what forum to stick this in, so I'll do it here), I found a post of mine quoted on a long lost basher forum. The post was quite funny and I am now sad that I am no longer that funny.

Funny.

UKS

Grimby the Hutt likes this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The guess is it's the server or index playing catchup. You'll notice the mods mostly have their stars because we've been messing around straightening up in here for a while.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, I see. Yeah, I was just wondering because I saw a couple of regular users with stars, too.

21. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Yeah, we think after you've posted or been logged in for an extended length of time, the system will kick the stars back on for said user.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Sorry to repost this question, but:

I've noticed character threads in both Movie/Community and FanFic Resource where there are Character tags - where's the preferred place? I'm talking discussion of a character with social aspects as well.

The Obi-Wan Appreciation Society is trying to find ONE place to roost rather than the multiple threads we currently have in different places.

23. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Well I guess it really depends. Because there are different aspects to each character that could fall under all categories. I suppose if you guys want a more centralized location. Discuss with the other people that post in the thread and then talk with forum mods of the forum you want to make your permanent home.

24. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    First: Mega thanks and kudos to all involved.

Second: Is it possible to have the "Liked Forums" like we used to? There are only a few forums that I keep track of, and the old method was great for seeing only those forums.

Many, many thanks for all you do!

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Not yet, but we're working on getting an extension that should let you do that.