main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Ciaran Hinds as Mance. This makes me so happy. The only actor who I could possibly have preferred for the role was James Purefoy, a.k.a. Marcus Antonius.

2. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I think Ciaran Hinds is a great actor, but I can't say I can picture him as Mance right now.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I hope they give Purefoy some sort of role in this at some point. Dude is excellent.

4. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Purefoy should have been the Blackfish, imo.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  5. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    I have no clue who Ciaran Hinds is but thats not how I pictured Mance.

6. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    He played Gaius Iulius Caesar on Rome. He was a phenomenal Caesar, so I trust him to pull it off.

7. MCSquared

MCSquared Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    I hope they slow the TV Series down a bit. After reading the books, things just move along too quickly to get inside the character's heads.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't like Hinds as Rayder.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't think I have any preference to the look of Mance, to me it will be more important how he plays the role.

10. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Blackfish! *flails* With the absence of the Tullys thus far, I am SO stoked for Edmure and Blackfish!

It's probably shallow, but I pictured somebody younger and more handsome...haha.

And how he sings and plays the lute! (Or whatever it is that he plays!)

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I pictured him as David Thewlis.

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    At first I pictured him quite young, but as the I read on my image of him got older and more worn. I still don't have any specific picture of him, but he should definitely look like he has lived a few decades on the other side of the wall.

13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I think Hines is the age I imagined Mance so I think he'll be good.
    Considering Hoster is already dead these are the only new Tullys this season. Damn it, as soon as I see Riverrun I'll be happy!

14. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm really sad we've missed Hoster. Lots of intriguing stuff there, but I can see why it's cut.

(sort of)

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't mind his age, but he reallly hugely disappointed me in Rome. I actually thought he made a lousy Caesar.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    GRRM apparently gave some new information on Aegon I's Conquest of Westeros at Worldcon: http://goodqueensansa.tumblr.com/post/30767836376/grrm-reading-at-worldcon

GrandAdmiralJello and RC-1991 like this.
  17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    It is clear that James Purefoy was born to be the Viper.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Except that he'd need a tan. And a new accent.

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    That's not an insurmountable problem, with a good makeup team and a talented actor.

20. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I'd like him as Oberryn Martell. He'd be great and to see him fight the Mountain...epic.

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
  22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I love all the theories on that site - I can lose hours reading some of them to.
    To this one: I'm not sure whether Manderly is acting alone, but I can't forget the murder of Walder. I just don't see Manderly ordering that. Certainly the North hates the Boltons and I can see Martin having this massive denouement wherein Rickkon arrives and most of the North secretly knows that Davos is going to get him, but it's unlikely. However Whoresbane, one of Bolton's "men" knows about White Harbour's great fleet, so there's that. Also once the rest of the North has their hostages in The Crossing freed the tide of the battle will turn. Without any leverage over the rest of the North Bolton and Ramsay are screwed. Un-Catelyn and her gang have been busy killing the Freys so perhaps they're ready to strike at the Frey seat.
    Really I just want Un-Cat to come out and **** **** up, and to have her revenge. Having her go to Winterfell again and/or know her kids are alive in the process would be cool to.

(I realise that after writing this that I've mostly gone on a tangent :p)

23. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    After having found that theory, I care more about Jon ending up as King in the North (hopefully) than L+R=J.

24. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    A theory I AM fond of is Jaqen actually being Syrio. That would be awesome.

severian28 likes this.
  25. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Let's see... there's the theory that the bones of Old Nagga on Old Wyk are actually a petrified weirwood grove; the theory that Wyman Manderly cooked the missing Freys into pies,which were served at wedding at Winterfell; the twisted theory that the paste that Bran ate before his greenseeing initiation was actually Jojen; the theory that Ned and Robert jumped the gun on starting a rebellion, and that Rickard Stark, Jon Arryn, Hoster Tully, and Robert's father had been planning to force Aerys to abdicate in favor of Rhaegar and force Rhaegar to sign a Westerosi version of the Magna Carta; and then of course there's Jon being Azor Ahai. His final scene in ADWD fulfills the "born amidst salt and smoke, under a bleeding star", and Mel keeps seeing "Snow" whenever she asks R'hllor for a vision of AA. But Grand Northern Conspiracy is the theory that I'm most fond of.

I've always preferred Syrio having actually died in book 1, if simply because it's a heroic sacrifice. Jaqen is the alchemist who kills Pate, though.