main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC How do you feel about consanguineous marriage? (ANONYMOUS poll)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Sep 4, 2012.

?

How do you feel about consanguineous marriage? (ANONYMOUS poll)

1. I support legal consanguineous marriage of all types.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. I support niece/uncle or aunt/nephew marriage, but not child/parent or anyone in direct descent.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I support sibling and first cousin marriage, but nothing closer.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I support first cousin marriage, but nothing closer.

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  5. I support second cousin marriage, but nothing closer.

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. I do not support legal marriage.

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    So, seeing as the temp boards are gone, I thought I'd revive my consangineous (blood-relative) marriage thread and see what opinions are.

I've decided to leave out whether or not people support it morally or personally and just leave it at legality, because it would just increase the number of options unmanageably. I know some states allow first cousin marriage only if the couple can prove they are infertile (too old, sterilized, naturally infertile, or something else).

Step-siblings is also another confusing thing, but it would just add up to too many options. So I figure just say yes or not, and if other, you can comment but don't vote. Sorry - this issue just seems too complex to get all the poll options and variants.

By the way, this is a serious thread.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm taking your "serious thread" as a sign it should be tagged as Senate. Am I right?

3. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    No, it just means that while I am parodying the other thread kinda, I'm not just trolling. I seriously want to see opinions.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think first-cousin marriage has been legal in a dozen or so states for a while, and with no conditions (no infertility requirement)

And sure, the law should be fair and equal. We don't stop some individuals from marrying or reproducing just because they might, or even certainly will, pass on some genetic defect.

Personally think it's disgusting at even 2nd cousins, but the law should be fair.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Marriage is just a legal contract, so I'm fine with it as long as both parties are old enough to enter the legal contract.

Polong likes this.
  6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    There are several states that allow it. It was a big point in some hypocritical campaign that tried to question how some states could allow something icky like that, but not allow same-sex marriage. I recall several arguments on Facebook I ended up in over that.

7. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I don't support it (in the sense that I will not be an advocate for its legality, but nor will I vote against it), but if my state pushes to make consanguineous unions legal, I won't get in the way. I'd probably end up not voting on that polling question. Won't impact me unless I'm forced to marry a relative as a result. ;)

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Second cousins, but nothing closer.

9. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    So long as everyone involved is of age of consent (though is some states, "Age of Consent" is surprisingly low.)
    It might be 'creepy' or 'weird', and there are genetics factors to consider.
    On the other hand, I have a friend with one of those step-child situations. (grandparents had children when they married, so while their children weren't related by blood...)

10. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I still want to marry a llama, but only if it's a 2nd cousin or more distant.

jp-30, Everton and Mar17swgirl like this.
  11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The law should never prevent a competent adult from entering into a contract of their own choosing unless it negatively impacts others. A consanguineous marriage contract, in and of itself, harms no other citizen and therefore shouldn't be denied by any government.

Now, whether it would be ethical for people in such a union to produce a child is another matter... but the laws of governments and the universal moral law are often decidedly non-overlapping.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  12. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    What about two people who carry the recessive gene for Tay-Sachs disease?

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't see what their genetics has to do with a contract for marriage.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There are no good biological or social reasons to deny first cousins the right to marry, but closer than that-- and vertical-- is extremely problematic. Sibling or vertical relationships are almost always the product of abuse or other problems-- the extremely rare cases of biological siblings just happening to find each other without knowing their genetic relation not being enough of an exception.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  15. zigazigahh

zigazigahh Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    My father (and therefore, I) wouldn't exist if it weren't for first cousin marriage, so I've never really gotten the taboo around it.

[insert "that explains a lot" jokes here]

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The problem with first cousins marrying is that I can't picture the thought of marrying my first cousins and they couldn't me.

It's just gross.

But seriously, I picked second cousin, but there are examples of firsts marrying that dont seem to have problems.

But certainly not siblings and parent/children. That should be the line.

17. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    It's just gross? That's your reasoning? Let's pretend that I think that redheads are gross. Who would want to marry a redhead! Redhead marriage shouldn't be allowed!

YOU think it's gross. I think it's gross too.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be legal. Picking your nose and eating it is legal. As is picking someone else's nose and eating it (provided they're consenting).

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    No, I wasn't serious.

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Then why did you vote second cousin?

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Because I couldn't quite bring myself to click first cousin.

That's it.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the targaryens married brother to sister for centuries.

RC-1991 and GenAntilles like this.
  22. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Fair enough. I feel similarly.

Luckily I was able to click that I don't support legal marriage.

23. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I chose "support first cousin marriage" because I've known a few couples that are first cousins and their offspring seem to be alright :p
    I still find it icky, and I wouldn't marry a first cousin, but I'm not going to stop anyone from doing it.

Note: I thought about voting second cousin, too.

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I do support legalization. I realize that the alternative is too much. I think on another day I would click first cousin.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Can we presume consent in all of those circumstances?