main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    When alcohol was outlawed, outlaws became kings.

I don't see this series surpassing Breaking Bad or The Wire on my list of favorites, but it's been pretty enjoyable and I'm looking forward to seeing where things go after last season's shakeup.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm considering this as the show to catch up on during the overseas flights I've got coming up.

JangoMike likes this.
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I love this show! :D It's a great window into how just terribly misguided Prohibition was, and what all that led to. September 16th can't fast enough.

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    bobby cannavale in the new season [face_love]

5. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I really enjoy this too. It's not quite as good as Game of Thrones but it's still excellent. I never thought I'd like Buscemi but he shines as Nucky.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Like the OP, it's not my favorite show, but the end of season 2 was insane. They practically killed off half the story.

It's a bit more complicated than that. :p

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah, p gutsy to blow up one of the dual nuclei of the story

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Obviously. :p Still, it's great to have such great entertainment set in that time period. My only misgiving going into this season is that it appears Gretchen Mol will still feature in the story somehow... I had hoped the need for her character would have been over after the last couple of episodes that ended the 2nd season.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Did anybody else watch the season premiere this past Sunday?

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    RIP Manny Horvitz @};-

DarthTunick likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I do wonder if Margaret will keep the dog Bobby Cannavale gave her... and I loved how calm & collected Rothstein was during Cannvale's rant, specifically when he called him a "**** midget". :p

12. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Solid episode. Loved that scene of Margaret on the beach.

Shame about the hat.:p

13. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Just finished the first episode of season two. This show is far better than I remember it being.

14. Lando Carmello

Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Love the fact tha buscemi is a lead character instead of weird looking dud with weird voice who only shows up as a supporting actor.

15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Probably going to start Season 2...soon. I like Jimmy.

A lot.

sob

16. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    "Everybody got guns!"

Lot of good stuff in this one.

Margaret in ballbusting mode=[face_love]

Wasn't a fan of Rosetti in the premier but he's starting to grow on me. The diner scene in particular was great.

Stephen Root needs to be in everything.

Liked the stuff with Chalky's family, but then I'll like pretty much anything that involves Michael K. Williams. Curious to see what Chalky and Mabelle think of Sammy trying to help the guy who attacked him.

Meg Steedle is a lot more enjoyable than Paz de la Heurta was.

The whole scene of Mickey picking up Eli was hilarious. Especially Eli expressing what everyone in the audience was thinking in regards to Mickey's ability to survive.

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Hmmm, we've seem to have forgotten about this thread last season. :p Anyway...

Season 4 premier tonight! :D Naturally Capone is going to get a lot of focus this season, so that will be exciting (since Stephen Graham does such a fine job in that role), as is the addition of Jeffery Wright to the cast... hopefully we get to see a lot more of Chalky via Wright's character (since I'm pretty sure that they're going to be opening, or at least trying to open a club on the boardwalk where Babette's used to be). Rosanna Arquette & Ron Livingston will be a part of this season as well.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Can't wait. One of my favorite shows, and I think this is one of the best ones on TV that gets woefully overlooked.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, it hasn't hit the culture in the same way as other shows recently have, but at least it's still quality/superb television.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I enjoyed the premiere. But it keeps occurring to me: one of the biggest twists the writers can pull is killing off a real life person such as Rothstein or Capone long before they're "supposed" to die. I mean, Nucky Thompson is a lot different than the real Nucky Johnson, right?

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    From what I've read about the real Nucky, he was a lot taller & more physically imposing that Buscemi, and his Atlantic City wasn't as violent as portrayed in the show. I suppose a twist of that nature that you suggest could work with certain characters (not Capone, though), but I don't see it happening. So far they've let the big twists happen to the purely fictional characters (re: Jimmy Darmody). It certainly was a very enjoyable, rich premiere... setting up all the assorted characters niiiiicely (though of course a few weren't shown, but they'll get their time).

Some assorted thoughts:

-Glad to see that Chalky's club is already open, his profile & influence in A.C. growing. Of course, things can never run smoothly, as he had to help deal with Dunn Purnsley's "situation" (I wonder if that wife will ever be found, or if the whole entanglement will end up being limited to just the season premier).

-Gillian didn't end up with custody of Tommy! I hope Roy Phillips (Ron Livingston) doesn't end up on the wrong end of her twisted web of evil & deceit.

-Eddie lives, and Nucky's "slumming it" just outside A.C. (at what I believe is abandoned hotel). Loved how he brushed off the show gal after her derisive comments about Billie Kent.

-Capone wants more attention, damn it! :p

-How long will Richard be at home with his sister? If not, what will get him back to Atlantic City?

-That "country bumpkin" (credit Alan Sepinwall for that moniker) bureau agent seems to up to no good...

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  22. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Love this show. Just got introduced to it last year, fell in love instantly.

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I enjoyed the premiere for the most part. I was a little lost and tired so I'll probably have to watch it again. This morning I watched a 15 minute recap of season 3 on HBO onDemand. That helped bring me back to speed and at the end of the recap Terence Winter stated that Season 4 takes place 8 months after the events of Season 3, which makes sense why the club has been rebuilt and they are auditioning and practicing there. I also like that Nucky is still laying low while conversely Capone is trying to make a name for himself. As always, Richard Harrow is awesome and he should have his own spin off show being a badass.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I got my dad the first season of this for Father's Day last year, but I've never seen an episode. Always wanted to though. How is the first season overall?

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I tried to get into this rather enthusiastically but it simply didn't click for me. I watched a few episodes of Season One, just waiting for something to happen and it kind of seemed to drag on and on...
    Might give it another try, since I love the subject matter and the period.