main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Where do you rate The Clone Wars in the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by 07jonesj, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    It's a thread where we make lists! A popular topic. But it'd be great if you could also post your reasons, so people can actually discuss things. I, myself, am also quite curious to see the overall results.

#1: Episode IV - A New Hope
    #2: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
    #3: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
    #4: The Clone Wars
    #5: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
    #6: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

I have the two original Star Wars films (the pinnacle of Star Wars IMO). These have intense, personal action, great character development and just an awesome feeling.

Ep3 comes next. I love Ep3. The overall tone of the film (especially the last 30-40 minutes) are just bliss for me. Order 66 is my favourite moment of the Prequels.

The Clone Wars comes above RotJ! Blasphemy? Well, RotJ is the weakest of the OT. It's still fantastic, but it contains Ewoks (cute, but annoying) and I've also deducted points for Death Star II (good again, but ANOTHER ONE?!?).

The Clone Wars has good character development and is just so diverse across it's (as of now) 4 seasons. Getting to see lots of minor Jedi in the spotlight is also great.

Episode I isn't on the list because I don't like it. I read and enjoyed the novel. Just the pacing of the film is awful, it just doesn't entice me to keep watching like the other 5 films do. When I watch the saga, I start at Ep2.

So, over to you!

Darth Vader likes this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    uhhh tough choice

Revenge of the Sith
    The Clone Wars
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    A New Hope

I love all the movies though

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Movies
    Everything else
    Jedi Trial
    TCW

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

5. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    For me:

Revenge of the Sith
    The Empire Strikes Back
    The Clone Wars (TV Show)
    Attack of the Clones
    A New Hope
    The Clone Wars (Movie)
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantom Menace

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Something like ANH > ESB > ROTS >> TPM > ROTJ >> AOTC

With TCW being ~TPM

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Forgot the Clone Wars Movie, that would go right on top of the Clone Wars show

8. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    TESB>SW>ROTS>ROTJ>AOTC>TPM>TCW

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    TESB>SW>ROTS>ROTJ>AOTC>TPM>TCW

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hmmm, good question.

ROTJ
    AOTC
    TPM
    The Clone Wars (movie and show)
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTS

I love ROTJ. It transformed me from a casual Star Wars fan who had a tween crush on Han Solo and enjoyed styling her hair like Princess Leia and playing with the action figures, to a hard-core Star Wars fan who almost 30 years later has thousands of posts on a Star Wars message board. ROTJ is the movie in which Anakin Skywalker came back from the darkness through the unconditional love of his son. That, alone, makes it my favorite movie.

AOTC: the beginnings of the Clone Wars, the sheer creepiness of seeing Obi-Wan looking out over rows and rows of cloned soldiers marching in exact precision, knowing what was coming next. The sinister manipulation that Palpatine conducted of everyone around him, ensuring his certain rise to absolute power. And yes, Anakin and Padme's reunion and courtship. Anakin's awkward and painful-to-watch lines aside, I loved it, and one of my favorite aspects of it is seeing Luke Skywalker's unconditional love mirrored in his mother.

TPM: where it all began. Anakin's origins; seeing his background as a slave, being separated from his mother, the only person who had ever really cared for him up to that point, explains quite a bit about his reactions to certain events later. And I liked seeing Padme's background as well, and again, seeing the beginnings of Palpatine's rise to power.

TCW: fills in the gaps that the prequels simply did not have time to cover. Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship. The various battles of the war. How different Jedi played into the whole scenario. I have a few problems with the show--Mary Shoka beginning in season 3, the refusal to let dead characters lie, the constant pissing on Obi-Wan--but there is still plenty that I like.

ESB: Leia and Han's romance, and more importantly, the revelation of Luke and Anakin's relationship and the slow beginnings of Anakin's return to the light. And the introduction of Yoda.

ANH: it was an OK story but ordinary on its own. Good guys, bad guys, battles in space. Wizard-like old dude, naive whiny farmboy, cynical smuggler, smartass princess (best character in the movie, with the smuggler being a close second), bad guy in a black suit and mask. Yeah, cool, but without the rest of the story, leaves a very "so the hell what?" taste in my mouth.

ROTS: don't even get me started. The first hour was fun and cool. That was all.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Novels and Comics
    Movies
    Video Games
    Ewok Films
    Ewoks
    Droids
    Holiday Special
    TCW

Inblackestnight and Zeta1127 like this.
  12. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    ESB
    ROTJ
    TCW -It feels weird matching a TV show against movies. There’s certainly enough good to great episodes in TCW to match the run time of the six movies x2, but I guess ROTJ and ESB has the more iconic moments, maybe.
    ANH
    AOTC
    ROTS
    TPM

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No matter how good a Star Wars TV series (or any EU material) is, it will always be a spin-off of the movies. Therefore, I won't give it as much importance as I give to the main saga (the six episodes), nor can I put it on the same list. And since this isn't about ranking the movies, I won't place a list.

K'Kruhk likes this.
  14. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Here is how TCW rates for me in the saga...

Number 1. ROTS
    Number 2. ESB
    Number 3. TCW/CW
    Number 4. AOTC
    Number 5. TPM
    Number 6. ANH
    Number 7. ROTJ

15. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    #1: The Empire Strikes Back
    #2: Return of the Jedi
    #3: Revenge of the Sith
    #4: The Clone Wars
    #5: The Phantm Menace
    #6: Attack of the Clones
    #7: A New Hope

16. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    TESB
    ROTJ
    ANH
    ROTS
    TCW series
    TPM
    AOTC
    CW GT series
    TCW movie

17. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    ESB
    TCW
    TPM
    ANH
    AOTC

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005

Zeta1127 likes this.
  19. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Much as I'm sure I'm about to be lynched for ranking this way, this is really how it goes for me.

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Phantom Menace
    4. The Clone Wars
    5. The Empire Strikes Back
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Attack of the Clones

20. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    For me it's:

1: Star Wars
    2: Empire Strikes Back
    3: Return of the Jedi
    4: Revenge of the Sith
    5: Attack of the Clones
    6: The Clone Wars
    7: The Phantom Menace

If we were including novels now, they would be at the top. For me, nothing can beat a good book.

21. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    Tough to choose between these arrangements [face_thinking]

K'Kruhk, Zeta1127 and Robimus like this.
  22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Share your rankings freely, Senator. For you post in a Lynch-free zone.;)

SenatorKelberry likes this.
  23. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    so this is a lynch free zone.... <_< >_> angry mob you are not needed any more :p j/k

Huyang and Senator Kelberry like this.
  24. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    1. A New Hope-Great introductory film. The chemistry between the characters is great, the storyline was engaging enough but not too overwhelming for an opening installment. Plus the Battle of Yavin IV, it was hard to believe when I first watched it that it was made in 1977. Puts many of the modern-day films to shame, especially the scene where Luke is staring out at the binary sunset.
    2. The Empire Strikes Back-The storyline takes a much more welcomed darker tone. The locations are breathtaking, the lightsaber battle was a vast improvement over the introductory one between Vader and Obi-Wan, and the cliffhanger was brilliantly executed. Sometimes I still debate whether or not its predecessor was superior, not common amongst sequels.
    3. Revenge of the Sith-The lightsaber duels were brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Order 66 was well-executed in tone, albeit it was a bit brief. Characterizations were the best in the prequels, and the imagery of the burning Jedi Temple is still haunting. The scene where Padmé and Anakin are just staring out as if towards each other remains my favorite scene from the saga. The one thing that annoys me is the scene where Anakin turns, make that Hayden's performance nearly in its entirety.
    4. The Phantom Menace-Great political concepts, average execution. I felt there was too much explanation of the actual politics instead of just showing them. Padmé's origins I specifically liked, although a line or two from her explaining that she cannot express too much emotion considering her delicate position would have been nice. The Battle of Naboo was well-done and the scene of Queen Amidala and her clique shooting the harpoons while they grabbed onto the guns and were raised to the window and the subsequent break-in through the window still remains one of my favorite scenes from the saga. The film's pacing was relatively well-done and I still enjoy it. It was the first film I ever saw on screen and it has the nostalgia factor for me. Qui-Gon was very well-written, especially in comparison to most of the other characters and the lightsaber duel between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Maul was brilliant and well-executed. Jar-Jar was a fundamentally blundering mistake, they took the clumsiness a bit too far. The suffering of the Nabooian people was never shown on screen, so that fundamentally understates the actual occupation, the key plot strand of the entire film. I feel personally that if Anakin had started out as a teenager the story would have been far more concise.
    5. Return of the Jedi-I like the majority of the film and have no personal distaste for the Ewoks - I appreciate the irony in the story. However, the idea of the second Death Star was not too much to my taste, it seemed too close to the original despite the differences in the screenplay. I honestly would have highly preferred a land battle on an Imperial world like Byss, and Han Solo dying would have added a lot more gravitas for the finale.
    6. Attack of the Clones-The second half is far superior to the film but does not excuse the first half. There was no reason to stretch out the "Where's Kamino?" portion, it could easily have been covered in a fraction of the time. Hayden Christensen came off as a whiny brat for most of the film and carried no shred of empathy or even sympathy whatsoever. The transitions between Kamino and Naboo were a bit irritating after the first couple of times and the droid foundry sequence came off as way too CGI-heavy. Shmi's death was emotional and well done, nod to Pernilla August's performance here. The one gripe I have with the Geonosis sequence is the lack of the Jedi actually fighting most of the time. I mean they're introduced with great fanfare in a way with a brilliant delivery on Samuel L. Jackson's part but a few minutes later most of them are dead. Poor screenplay was the biggest issue here for me.
    7. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Film)-The animation I have a few gripes about, but understanding that this was really early in their animation development, I'll let that pass. Why they did not just have a Christophsis battle film and ended it with the planet being won by the Republic is beyond me. Taking "Cat and Mouse", "The Hidden Enemy", and the Christophsis portions of the film and adding more scenes to smooth it out would have been a much better option. The kidnapping and the resolution felt forced in many ways and at odds with the opening sequence(s) of the film. Also the dialogue was terrible in most parts.
    I am not going to measure TCW series against the films because IMHO they're two different mediums to tell a story and TCW has a lot more time to tell it compared to a two and a half hour film.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW just doesn't rate at all to me in comparison to the Saga, due to its lack of respect for everything that came before it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.