main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Empire and Rebellion Book Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    From CVI we know that there is going to be a new series focusing on the rebels in the OT era. Kevin Hearne is writing a Luke book, while Martha Wells is writing a Leia book.

VanishingReality likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    books looking at how Luke and Leia deal with the stuff that happens in ANH? Can't wait.
    I hope we get a book from Wedge's perspective. A Mon Mothma and Garm Bel Ilbis book would be cool as well. How about a book on Borsk? Is there anything that tells us explicitly how Borsk brought the Bothans in to the Rebellion? How about an Admiral Ackbar book? To end on a positive note

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think the chances of a Wedge book are lessened by the existence of the X-Wing books. OTOH, there's a plethora of books focusing on Luke, Leia and Han, so I guess Wedge has a good chance of getting a book after all. Maybe there can be a Kyle Katarn book as well.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    *ahem*

.....X-Wing: Red Squadron.

Tell me why not. I dare you.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Wedge is a pretty prominent movie character (not as much as the Big 3 but still) so I hope he has his own book and adventure. Are there any stories of Wedge, Wes, Tycho and Hobbie in the Rebellion era? That would be epic.

Also there should be some books following Imperial perspectives. I want a Tie-Fighter series, or a stormtrooper book

Lazy Storm Trooper and Zeta1127 like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am glad that they are finally writing some books to fill in the empty period in the time line between ANH and ESB.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm glad we're finally getting a LEIA book (the first since the Courtship book back in Bantam). Not a big fan of having it squeezed into this part of the timeline, Leia had a very interesting life both pre-ANH and post-ROTJ, but I'll definitely look into it.

lukemaraben likes this.
  8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Maybe they'll retcon why she wore the buns so damn much back then.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I forgot she wore the buns hairstyle back then

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    IIRC, one of the NewsNets referred to her as wearing Alderaanian hair-styles (as the unnamed companion to Han Solo)

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's because she's a rebel.

No, seriously -- they blew up her planet so she rebelled by keeping the Alderaan hairbun memory alive. Bet it caused quite a stir in the fashion industry. Got so bad parents wouldn't let their respectable young'uns outside showing off their buns.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Now if the New Rebels book series would actually be about „New Rebels“ [face_sigh]

KamSolusar likes this.
  13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    This was probably meant to be sarcastic, but there honestly is a strange lack of novels between the two... though I suppose not compared to some of the others, like the space between TPM and AOTC and ESB and ROTJ. Still, compared to the other three year gap, it's pretty small in comparison.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I will wait and see on this series.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Christ, why hasn't this be brought up before? This might be the most brilliant idea I have seen in a long time, Coop. Hell, the potential to tie-in other old school Rebel units, like the Tierfon Yellow Aces, Gold Squadron, and other starfighter units would be wicked.

If this happens, I demand that it include a Y-wing squadron under the command of Grisserno, featuring his star protege Horton Salm.

--Adm. Nick

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nick, it'll have to contend with Rogue Squadron (the game), which purports to show many of the activities of the squadron between Yavin and Hoth.

Yeah but not really though. The two Zahn books, Splinter, and a bevy of comics. :p Remember two that both Rebels and Star Wars Ongoing are supposed to take place RIGHT AFTER... along with every other comic set in that period. Combine it with the new writer obsession both DR and DH is having--and I'm imagining it'll be a mess.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well they became Rogue Squadron pretty much right after Yavin, so it'd be about the lead-up to ANH rather than the aftermath; it could even end with Luke showing up at Base One. Worst-case scenario, it'd have to explain the X-Wing-mageddon in Death Star.

Is Rebels supposed to be right after? I wasn't there, of course, but all I remember hearing is "OT era".

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I would love to see alot of the events that take place 2BBY - 0 BBY. Those were the Rebellion's first active years and alot of stuff happened. Operation Domino, the operations from the Rebel base at Dantooine, the Mon Cals & Quarren liberating their planet from the Empire, the first strikes of the Rebellion, the formation of the original Rebel squadrons like Red Squadron, Gold Squadron, the Tierfon Yellow Aces- all of this and more would be the perfect ground for more stories. Let's see more of Garm Bel Iblis and Mon Mothma butting heads, Bail Organa as a Rebel leader, Wedge when he first joined up, Ackbar following his liberation from Tarkin, Leia on early "mercy missions".

This is the kinda stuff I want to see.

--Adm. Nick

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe another anthology book? To cover all of that

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I like anthology books, so I am all for this idea.

--Adm. Nick

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Same here. I brought up the anthology book since I can't really see each separate thing being enough to get a book of its own. Maybe they can combine some of them into a couple books but I like the anthology idea

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh, not only is O ABY a mess, it's probably one of the biggest messes of the entire continuity. It's why I continue to propose that a great deal of the existing material be given new dates to spread them out over the three year time period, particularly since this changes almost nothing about the story for the majority of the material. I think the biggest example is the Rebellion comic. Unless I'm misremembering very important details, that series screams "3 ABY" to me. Don't forget Scoundrels is also going to take place shortly after ANH... :(

Though I was talking strictly novels. Now that I think about it, though, I suppose it is second place in terms of number of novels between movies (not counting the gap between ROTS and ANH). I still find it somewhat odd, though, that the overwhelming majority of the material seems to be comics from the 80's. Not that there's anything wrong with the Marvel run; I enjoy a good bit of it.

I'm personally still hoping the "Rebels" series takes place later in the GCW, but I'm not holding my breath. For some reason, a lot of writers still feel that burning desire to explore what happens in the months after ANH :rolleyes:

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm... I could be wrong. Thinking back to the panel, they just said between the films (I remember giving RF this knowing look) but I think they added later that it was supposed to be right after. Dunno.

As far as an X-wing book before ANH, exploring the early Rebellion etc---sure, sign me up! We need more info about that time period. As long as it retcons TFU. :p

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The only retcon of TFU I want to see is complete and utter disavowal.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm sceptical that we'll get:

A: Anthology books - unless the sales of Lost Tribe convince DR that, contrary to past indications, anthologies can sell!

B: "Lesser" character books - yes, we care a lot about the likes of Bel Iblis, Wedge etc but the wider world? Hard to say.

As to the announced books, the authors are unknown to me so I'll go by that reliable mechanism of seeing what's said about them here first!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.