main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census What part of the world have you lived in the most/identify with the most?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 4, 2012.

?

What part of the world do you live in?

1. Australia or New Zealand

11.4%
  2. The British Isles (United Kingdom or Ireland)

8.9%
  3. Canada

8.9%
  4. United States of America (including territories)

58.2%
  5. former Soviet Union or former European-Communist country (Russia, the Baltics, Poland, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other Europe

7.6%
  7. Other Asia & Other Pacific Isles (Middle East, Indian subcontinent, East Asia, Southeast Asia, etc.)

1.3%
  8. Latin America

1.3%
  9. Africa (including Sahara/North)

1.3%
  10. Other? Or Unsure? (please tell us)

1.3%
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What part of the world do you live in, have lived in the most, identify with the most?

United States here.

On the temporary boards, everyone seemed to be either from the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or somewhere in Europe. Surely there are other people out there on here?

[​IMG]

(It's amazing how hard it is to find a good, current map of the world)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I am unsure of where I have lived.

tom likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Like, if someone like in Israel or Turkey, they might not know if they should put Europe or Asia, stuff like that.

4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    They should put either. Both groups rocked.

And I'm clearly in the US category, although I have strong Australian sympathies.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You know, it woud've been much better if instead of "Former Soviet Union" you put simply "Central and Eastern Europe". Most of us from the post-Communist countries who weren't actually part of the USSR generally dislike being associated with it.

Arwen Sith, morrison85 and Everton like this.
  6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It has no South Sudan. Rejected.

7. Sergio Lopes

Sergio Lopes Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    I am from Brazil.

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  8. zigazigahh

zigazigahh Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    From the US, selected Australia as where I identify the most. I studied abroad there (TEN years ago, God I'm old) and fell in love with the place. If I hadn't started dating my now husband it's very possible I'd have moved there.

9. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    thanks for calling us 'other europe' ...why not keep it geographical correct? Also singling out the brits again tststststs[face_not_talking] and why those old maps? why not just get up-to-date ones...

Bor Mullet and Alexrd like this.
  10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I've lived in the U.S., Britain and Austria. I love Chicago, but if I didn't have a family, I'd like to emigrate to Norway or Sweden.

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The States

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Czechoslovakia. :cool:

(I still haven't voted. I refuse to be associated with the Soviet Union. :p)

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  13. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
  14. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Originally I'm from Sweden but for the past 4.5 years I've lived in the UK. Now the latter feels very much like home and I do think this is where I will remain.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Why don't you just divide the poll by continent, and then have two additional categories for the US (1) and Other English-Speaking Countries (2) ? That would give you the gist of what I suspect you're looking to find out, and it's simpler.

I'm from Norway, lived here all my life.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I lumped them much closer together in the temporary boards poll, but EVERYONE who voted was from English-majority countries, or somewhere in Europe. And I mean exactly 100%. So I thought it was good to have those spread out into different options.

17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Are you aware of the many "countries" that have declared independence from Australia, including the Republic of Awesome, whose military currently consists of four people?
    Apparently one of these separatist states (some county, I think) actually issues visitor visas when you get within their "borders".

18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I agree. England gets its own section and so does Canada and America, yet France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Sweden, etc. are lumped together. I think Greek culture is generally more different from Norwegian culture than American is from Canadian.

Bor Mullet and morrison85 like this.
  19. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I feel so...un-unique having to vote American.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and Darth-Ghost like this.
  20. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I am currently in Australia but I am totally American. Apparently I radiate 'American-ness.'

Is that good or bad? :confused:

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I was actually trying to divide up Europe while I was writing the post (that's why I tried to find a good map of Europe to post), but really struggling on how to divide it up.

Especially since we only have 10 poll options, at maximum. So I decided to just split it up between former Communist and former USSR countries (basically Eastern Europe, but with a very definite category over who's in it) and then the rest of Europe (basically Western Europe).

If someone wants to make another poll on "Europeans, what region have you lived in the most/identify with the most," please go ahead. As a non-European, I didn't want to make that call.

The only categories that are easy to come up with are: the British Isles, Iberia, Scandinavia, the former Yugoslavia states (though even those have huge differences between them), the former USSR states, and maybe the Baltic countries as their own category separate from Russia/Ukraine/Belarus. But how to even categorize the rest?

And at that point, you realize there's way too much focus on Europe and that it's crowding out the other options, since you can only have 10 at maximum. Especially since, from the temporary boards, it was evident that not many lived in Europe. The biggest thing I wanted to learn was how many Europeans here once had to live under communism, like my cousins did who couldn't make it over to America that we've kept in touch with since the 1910's, and that seemed like the easiest way to divide it up.

But if a European wants to make a similar thread for Europe, go ahead :) I don't claim I'm an expert about that stuff, that's why I created this thread, because I'm curious and I want to learn more about how other people view all kinds of things.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ancient Rome.

Lived in, I mean.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    And I have absolutely no problem with that, just... don't group it under "Soviet Union". :p Really, not an association you'd like when the said Soviet Union invaded you with 200,000 troops and 2000 tanks and occupied you for the following 20 years.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    It's always strange for me to imagine how it must be for people from English-speaking countries to know that pretty much the entire Western world has learning your language as a basic educational goal, already from primary school. To us who are not native English speakers, if I may generalize on behalf of all of us, we think of English as the bridge language, to make communication possible across borders/cultures. Also, it's the language of fiction, because Hollywood. While to you, it's just your language, it's what you speak every day, and incidentally the whole world speaks it.

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I wouldn't call it arrogance - it's just that native English speakers probably feel less need/motivation/pressure to learn other languages, because "everyone speaks English anyway". :p