main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT My reasons for an original trilogy remake

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by skywalkerz, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Remaking the OT would be OK in my book - but only so long as it means bringing back Jar Jar and giving him a significant role as a Rebel Alliance general.

Seriously, it would be maxibig.

2. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Shoot me now.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Ahem...

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

5. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Mark Hamill was too hot when he was playing young Luke Skywalker. It wouldn't work. :p

[image=http://rabittooth.com/800x600StarWarsWallpapers2/LukeSkywalkerESBV4Wallpaper.jpg]

6. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    When I saw they remade Total Recall I started to worry that someday someone would come along and think they could do a better job than Lucas and remake Star Wars. I really hope this never happens, at least not in my lifetime.

7. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm sure someone will come along and do it eventually, but hopefully it won't be anytime soon.

Sitara and Darth-Dogfish-Head like this.
  8. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Star Wars remake? Why not. I think it will come.

Come on, even the Holy Original Trilogy isn't perfect. I would like to see the Battle of Had Abbadon in Return of the Jedi.

Sitara and DarthBoba like this.
  9. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Darth Nub, you make me laugh.:D

Still, this thread is just stupid.

10. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    There already exists a 're-make' of the OT......It is called: The PT.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT has its flaws but I wouldn't change any of it. If they were remade they will not compare to the originals at all. Most of the remakes/reboots/whatever of other movies from the past several years are terrible. No to the remake

Revious Nugo likes this.
  12. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    yeah the originals should be re-done. more/better action, more/better characters fix some small errors like yoda being obiwans master, no mention of sith, show luke training more...

I think luke should have killed a sith acolyte, someone like grevious, sometime in ESB and take out the boring scnes with the falcon that would have been much better

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It boggles my mind that anyone would want a remake of the OT, but as much as I would hate for such a thing to happen, I think it's inevitable. At the rate Hollywood has been churning out remakes, it's only a matter of time before someone thinks it's a good idea to do it to Star Wars.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  14. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I'm a fan of animation, so I'd love to see the entire Saga traditionally animated in maybe a decade or two. It would be really interesting, I think, to see how one cohesive format could link all of the films. Also, there wouldn't necessarily be casting issues because they could use the actors' likenesses for the character models and perhaps even use the original dialogue. Either way, I doubt that even if voice actors were necessary that they would supersede the original actors' images in the public consciousness.

Plus, traditional animation seems to be on the decline, sadly. But it's such a beautiful art form that I think it's worth preserving.

As long as they got someone else besides the studio that animated the Star Wars Holiday Special cartoon. ;)

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Just getting into the whole legal aspect: I'm not sure it's possible. The net 'rights' 20th Century Fox has to SW is distribution. Which on the grand scale of things makes them the SW equivalent of the bespectacled child who delivers newspapers. :p Lucas' children may have rights, but we don't know the aspects of Lucas' will, and he is the ultimate copyright holder.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    ^ Good point.

Maybe there's some hope after all. :p

Hitchhiking-Ghost and DarthBoba like this.
  17. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Um, NONE of the OT effects really, "needed," tinkering of any kind. These films were classics for a reason.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It certainly wasn't the f/x work. What made those films classic was an excellent storyline delivered convincingly.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If any company in the future actually wants to try to do this, I hope the above-mentioned legal aspects prevent them from doing so.

Put another way:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

20. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    If the story is all that matters then there is no need to tinker with or remake these classics. No?

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's not what I'm saying. If you're going to be looking at these films solely in terms of their f/x work (which is exactly what your post is doing) then you're doing the films a disservice whether you're in favor of modifying them or not.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Seriously, they will only be compared to the originals and it will be worse than the prequel to OT comparisons.

If you can't make a better story and characters, then why bother?

Is everything about fx?

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I know we live in an age now when we like to think that anything can be remade, but the truth is there are certain films out there that are just “remake-proof”. Jaws and E.T. spring to mind, as well as the Godfather and Indiana Jones films. And yes, the OT also falls into that category. We’ll see what happens when Lucas kicks the bucket, but even then I doubt any sort of remake is on the cards. Saying that, I do hope Lucas doesn’t have some sort of clause stating that when he’s dead, Star Wars is dead. Can he do that? :(

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's his. So yes. Although LFL'll probably still go on as a company; it did perfectly fine between 1983 and 1999 without new SW films. Although admittedly a big part of that was the EU.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree about movies like Jaws, E.T., and the Godfather and Indiana Jones films being “remake-proof”. I think SW falls in this category too, and I actually hope Lucas does have something legal in place to prevent it from being done. Just because there would be no remakes (or new SW films at all, for that matter, even though that's a different conversation) doesn't mean that the franchise would be "dead". Jaws is not dead (well the shark is, but the film lives on :p).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.