main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Questions about the new boards? Read this thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    if it helps anyone I hadn't posted anything new to any of my stories since mid summer of 2010 and found them on page 36 of the saga boards.

2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    So, is there a moving challenge for the new boards? I didn't want to post until the challenge itself was up.

3. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
  4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Actually, one could and I did more than once unlock my own threads on the OLD board - usually if I posted a sequel and wanted to reopen the preceding story. I think that could be a valuable item to restore - the ability to unlock one's OWN threads - doing so never bumped the thread so it affected nothing unless someone wanted to comment. It was also valuable at awards time for some.

5. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    You're correct, Valairy, and I know I'm on board with returning that ability to fanficcers, but as with everything, it's just one item on a very long list of things that need fixing.

6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, don't feel that I'm pressuring the mods to "Fix things" that are in the pipeline. I know this is not a quick and easy thing and while some things (editing time) are highly desired, stating so won't make things go any faster.

7. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    And we appreciate the patience. :p I know it's not easy to leave your old home, be deprived of it for months, and then come back to find all kinds of construction dust all over the place, but you guys are handling it pretty well, I'd say.

8. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    That's cuz you can't see the temper tantrums - mild cursing - patient foreboreance many of us are cultivating at this time (and if I misspelled, boo hoo).

9. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Hey guys! The Search is working now. :)

10. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I have a question: On the lower left side of our posts there's a dropdown list called 'More Options' and if I open it says something like 'Trow a dice' and 'Choose from a list'. What are those for?

11. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I have a question as well. In looking at my old stories I have noticed that all the quotation marks have become question marks. Is this due to the transfer and will it be one of the things fixed down the road? If not that is alot of editing I need to do, not that I mind but just figured I would ask before starting.

12. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    On the old boards most authors would put their info and links into their profile so they can be easily found, is this something that we have to redo or will it be back and its just something that needs to be fixed? I'm using the search engine now to track down all my stories but its hard to remember all that i posted.

13. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Looks like I need to get the Link Machine up and running again. Until then -

Resource
    Before
    Saga
    Beyond
    Classic

The above links are text files with the pre-Move thread data. Right click, save, then open with whatever you use to edit text files. (Well . . . you can just click and open with your browser, but I prefer having a copy to look at when my web connection dies on me.) Do a search for the title or author you're looking for and cross your fingers.

The format goes like this:
    thread number<>thread starter<>thread title

To change this to the URL at XenForo, take the thread number and put it here:
    boards.theforce.net/threads/thread number/

- lazy

14. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I noticed that with my stories, too. But there is no way - with as many stories I have posted - that I would fix them! I sure hope this issue gets resolved.

15. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    Mods,

Is there a timeline on when our posts will be fixed? (posts cut short due to word limits, quotations turned into question marks) I hate to pester. :*

On another note, YOU GUYS ROCK! [face_dancing]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  16. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    AFAIK, that's a formattng issue similar to the truncations. It's on the list to fix, apparently.

17. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Hazel: throwing dice is for games, but I'm not sure what the 'choose from a list' function is for, since I can't seem to find it on my own 'more options' tab, which is odd. Maybe one of the other mods can chime in here to answer that one.

The1stJediPrincess: Much as I'd love to have a timeline to give you, we don't have one yet. The fix has to be done by someone on the IGN staff, not by one of our own, and he's got to field problems from both the new IGN boards and from us. He's a busy guy with a lot on his plate, so we're all just being patient and appreciative that he's willing to help us out at all.

Thorn058: I also think that's a fixable formatting issue; otherwise yeah, that's going to be a pain in the butt to fix. I'm right there with you on that one.

18. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Is the Fanfic Stories forum going to remain a subforum of Fanfic Resource?

19. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Thumper09: For the forseeable future, yes. We all really like the idea of bringing everyone into fanfic through resource, so even if we ultimately split the forums into three again, they'll still remain as subforums beneath Resource.

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I understand the reasoning for Resource>fics but somehow it seems counter-intuitive to find fics as a sub of resource when resource used to be on the same level as fics. I know it's not going to happen, but I'd like to see FanFic as the main board title then everything else under that - say, resource as a tag just like the eras.

Okay, maybe I need to pay attention because I think we have what I said I wanted. Old eyes, yeah, that's it. Old eyes.

21. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I actually like how the resource and fanfiction are placed. I have found myself looking in resource a lot more because of the ease between switching back and forth.

22. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Allrighty, thanks! :)

23. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    For several years prior to the move, when I bookmarked the JC, I actually used the Fanfic Resource link rather than linking to the main forum. That way I always had to check-in at Resource before going through the story forums. It always worked very well for me. If I wanted to see what was going on in the community, I could; if I just wanted to check stories, I could immediately choose from any of the story forums in the header. I haven't been doing much in the story forums yet since things are still being fixed there, so I'll have to reserve judgment on the combined eras aspect, but so far I do like having them be subforums of Resource.

I'm sure when the experimental period is coming to an end there will be an actual discussion thread for the set-up of the fanfic forums, so I won't waste time arguing each option's pros and cons right now. Thanks for all your hard work, mods! It's good to be back. :)

Commander-DWH likes this.
  24. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    Until the edit/truncation issues are fixed, can we provide a link to our story's backup versions on other sites like FF.Net or LominAle Cantina?

25. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    So long as the content on other sites is still TOS compliant, then absolutely. I'm assuming that there's not a lot of variation from your fics here and your fics elsewhere, so it's mostly a blanket yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.