main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    SO: to be social, I've either "upped" or recreated some threads that some (many?) might be interested in, here and in Movies/community. Hope as folks migrate here we get some great discussions going again.

And I canNOT wait until fanfic gets title editing back: no one knows I added a new chapter to one of my stories and in one day I, like others, have dropped to page 2 and dropping fast.

And you "beyonders" - I had no idea you were so prolific! Have you a wellspring of developed plot bunnies the rest of us need to get acquainted with? A muse garden? Please share.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm looking for a good Pink 5 icon so I can go back to my habit. Congrats on nearly 60. I had a lady tell me today at work that she had problems with reading because of a learning disability--she was anorexic. I put myself on mute very fast.

3. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    O - kay. Um, okay. [face_dunno]

SoA likes this.
  4. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Believe me, we're all excited to get all our editing privileges back. :p Unfortunately, moving a forum of this magnitude is bound to have kinks in the system.

Did all the Americans here have a good holiday weekend? Mine was pretty awesome- I went to the mountains and did fashion design, played a lot of music, took a stage combat class, and learned how to remove people's eyebrows using only the power of a glue stick and some concealer. Best weekend ever!

5. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I had a pretty awesome weekend as well! Not quite as cool as removing eyebrows... but still! ;)

My brother came to visit and we went to see both of the Air and Space museums out here, which included completely nerding out over the Space Shuttle Discovery. (It's a real space ship, guys!!) Pretty awesome.

6. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Sadly, no holiday here. I had to work. And this morning the computers wouldn't work so we basically wasted half a day with my boss coaching us on new developments in the temp world.
    I work at distribution center at a temp agency. Mostly it's fun but not today. Listening to my boss all morning gave me one hell of a headache. :(

7. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Woo, we're back! Well, sort of. I think I'll hold off on posting until they work all the kinks out. The one annoying thing is - none of my bookmarks for fics work anymore. :( Oh, and the other annoying thing is, it keeps logging me out every five minutes, it seems... huh.

As for being prolific, I think part of it's that there's so much Beyond literature, and so many characters and eras, and so many very different ones at that, that there's a lot more to get inspired by. Maybe. I don't know, but that'd be my theory.

Also, I still have all my icons uploaded here if anyone wants to take one. :)

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Hope your headache clears up soon! [:D]

Ceillean likes this.
  9. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    That's odd... have you told it to keep you logged in? That's probably the best way to ensure not being logged out.

I also suspect you're right about Beyond's prolific tendencies. Not only is there a lot already there, but it's constantly expanding, so there are always new things to discuss and write about.

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    It's a good thing one can filter by era. I'll be curious, once the editing function is restored and we can actually see what stories have been updated, if Beyond continues to trounce the other two eras as - and I may be and hope I am wrong - I believe that a fair number of folks won't bother to filter. Certainly the other eras will be buried by sheer volume until we do have the editing function.

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I will follow your stories Valairy. Watch thread helps.

12. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I am just overtaxed & grumpy here, having two RL teacher jobs & frantically searching for a third. All my old fanfic threads look messy and so does my contact. I also cannot find back most of my JC contacts. Nor do I know how to find all of my older non-active fanfic threads again. Tonight I did a lot of crying & shouting in front of the computer.

Sorry that my husband called you instead of me personally, dear bird, but I was busy bringing the laundry upstairs when I noticed that the apple moss burned beyond recognition in the cookery pot. The whole house stinks of burned fruit. Thanks for explaining him how to post paintings in future... NOT with DA links as it seems...

13. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Yeah, I check the box to keep me logged in every time, but it doesn't seem to want to do it. Maybe it's a problem with my browser. It's not a huge deal, just means two extra clicks, but I'll dig around in my preferences some, I guess.

I'll be curious to see how the era filters play out, too. But even within Beyond you have some eras and pairings that far outweigh the others, and it seems to come and go in phases, at least based on what I've seen... but yeah. Be interesting to see how it balances out.

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    After becoming accustomed to the temp boards, I'm kinda glad that they haven't changed, even though I was vehemently opposed to the buttons to begin with. That was when I was under the impression that the move would take a month. Now, it's commonplace, and reverting it back would be a change that would irk me.

The lesson here? Change is bad, mm'kay? :p

15. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Have you been visiting the temp boards? For some reason it logs you out here if you navigate to the temp boards.

16. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    That's a cookie and cache issue- you can only be logged on to one or the other at any given time, unless you're navigating in different browsers. If that's the case, just make sure you're logged out of the temp boards entirely, and clear your cookies and cache if the problem persists.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Wait... you can still go back to the temp boards?

18. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    You can log in, but you can't post. We're not deleting them entirely, since it's a chapter in the JC history, but for obvious reasons we've pulled all the posting over here now. :)

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    We should have a handy link to them, then. I could recover my Apples to Apples cards.

20. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A risk worth taking.

22. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Yep, that was it! I had the temp boards open in another tab, I'm always forgetting to close my tabs. Thanks guys, that's sorted it! :)

23. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    The same goes for Before the Saga, doesn't it? There's so much to explore in Before, I'm actually quite surprised that so few people write stories in Before. People don't necessarily always have to write about canon characters. OC's are perfect for Before.

Also, I sort of have the feeling that a lot of the Beyond stories mainly deal with mush. And since that's extraordinarily popular here on the boards, I'm not the least bit surprised that Beyond is trumping at the moment. :p

Might I ask for a pretty Kyp icon? [face_batting]

24. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    You're definitely right about the mush! I don't know what it is about Before. Maybe it's because none of the movie characters are really involved? Except for some of the Jedi, but that's pretty limited right there. Of course there's games like KotOR, and comics and whatnot, but no movie characters or events or anything. Sure it's perfect for OCs and there's a lot of scope, but maybe there are just less people interested in that type of thing?

Of course you can have a Kyp icon, I'll make you one if you like! Any preferences as to what source pic(s) I should use?

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Personally love Before. The fact that it's pretty much a blank canvas, and there are Jedi and Sith running all over the place. It takes a bit more research to make sure there aren't any anachronisms like a post-OT only ship popping up or something, but it give you a real freedom to do what you want while keeping it recognisably Star Wars.

The Dawn of the Jedi comics (set way way way before KotOR) have been great because even lightsabres are new tech and the Jedi fight with metal swords. That kind of thing is exciting, not because it's new tech to us but because it's new tech to them and it's interesting to see how the characters respond to it and adapt. I just love it!

Also, on the Mush front, there will be a challenge appearing on Monday, so look out for that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.