main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still a Work in Progress: Welcome to the Community Forum!

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 27, 2012.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    hey im totally serious about abolishing the senate and probably the other miniforums as well. why do we need, on the same page as jcc current events threads, current events threads where it is ONLY acceptable to post big dumb walls of text and satire is completely ostracized? having seperate forums with seperate styles, sure, but if you're gonna mix it in with the jcc threads its just... silly, and frankly stifles other (funnier) styles of posting

jp-30 and Darth_Guy like this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Although I hesitate to go so far as to say, "Abolish the Senate," I do think that stifling the humor-- especially in the Presidential Election thread-- is annoying. Off-topic spam is one thing, but "spam" for a Senate mod on the temp boards was much broader. Fact is, a separate JCC thread on the same exact topic wouldn't survive because people would naturally gravitate toward one over the other. Both threads would be displayed on the same page by default, after all.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I agree... sure, the senate for for more in-depth discussion, but I don't see anything wrong with infusing a little bit of humor into the discussion, I mean, if is on topic and relevant. Why does the senate have to be so rigid?

Rogue_Ten and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    because that's literally the only thing that seperates the senate from the jcc. if you take away the rigidity of discussion, there is no topic in the senate that could not be discussed in the jcc. the walls of text would just be punctuated by people going "haha look at this cat gif about obama"

so just get read of the senate and the other subforums and make topics tags like "politics" and "movies" and "religion" and "sports" and so on. then we can have a unified community forum with ONE set of rules, style guidelines, and mods for the whole forum. you know, like every other forum on the frigging internet

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Not every single message board has one forum... don't be ridiculous. :p And besides, this was a fight/discussion that's already happened. I've never been a huge fan of The Senate myself, but the current layout I think does justice for all of those who like/post in their subforums because they liked so back at the old boards. If things can't be the way they were, then at least what we have now makes it work the best (from my point of view) for all those involved.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    AFAIK, The Senate has always allowed a little bit of on-topic humor. At least I did when I made my investigation of the forum pre-merge.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    That's a great idea. If you need help with that (recovering markups, whatever), just drop me a line.

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i said forum, not message board. message boards have separate forums that are actually separate. as in they dont appear on the same page. as in their threads dont overlap and compete with each other ON THE SAME PAGE. as in you dont have multiple sets of rules and capricious moderators to navigate ON THE SAME PAGE. its an asinine humonculus of a forum and it should be simplified. you ever seen the original total recall? the senate is kuato. its gross and should be excised.

Don't get personal.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    im sorry for calling the senate kuato. that was overboard and needlessly insulting to mutant parasitic twins everywhere

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So dumb question, but I miss having Games grouping option in the JCC like it was in the temp boards. Could it be possible to create a custom "board" so to speak, where the user could customize which groupings/filters that the user would want to see at the top for quick sorting/filtering? Like it would be cool to have Games, JCC, Amph, LACWAC and maybe Comm at my finger tips on one screen and then filter on any of them.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    While I agree it's a really cool idea, at the moment it isn't possible. Always keep in mind that prefixes are a relatively new concept in Xenforo so more features and extensions might be on the way.

I mean, to put it in perspective, tags at the tops of forums are hard-coded in by MS. That's not a standard part of the code.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey, just to let you know it looks like there are posts missing in the Arena NFL thread. Nearly everything that was posted around the time of the Colts/Bears Superbowl is gone, and other bits and pieces are missing too (I certainly remember there being far more reaction to Vick's inital signing with the Eagles than are currently visible)

14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    It's a known issue[/ramza] but thanks.

15. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Kind of late to the game, but I like to chime in that I think the merge/tags scheme of the current JCC is certainly less than desirable. At least in terms of the number of mods that now populate the merged community forum, which is definitely a bit much. I also think its been detrimental to the culture of YJCC, which seems more generic in its personality than it did when it was its own forum.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Ramza your colors are really unpleasant to look at... difficult to read, and make my eyes hurt--just a little bit of feedback.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    harpuah Is it the color-background combintion or the font combination? Or was, I guess, and does that still apply?

I'm kind of at a weird crossroads where my old green and silver doesn't mesh well with my current avatar or the sheer amount of blue in the default color scheme.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Looks much better now.

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Lowbacca_1977 certainly isn't acting like it's allowed.

Posts like this seem to indicate that "joke" posts are now completely unwelcome in Senate threads.

Darth_Guy, Rogue_Ten and jp-30 like this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've been requesting a sort of guide for senate posting since the forum merge discussion popped up, back in March. I've been told, almost every time, that one was in the works... the last time was on August 22. I posted a link to an onion article in an abortion discussion. I'd been active in the discussion, and the link was not my only post in the thread. I can kind of see how a person randomly popping into a thread and posting a link, when they have not made any contribution to the discussion would be obnoxious, but that was not the case with me. I said this to Merk:

Also, I'll be mindful about link-only posts, in the future. I've never really posted in the Senate before the move to this place, so I'm not completely sure of what the rules are. Perhaps some sort of senate guide would be helpful?

And he replied:

On it :cool:

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    We have set a private forum just for the discussion of policy and it's giving results. Believe it or not, we're kind of busy and overworked right now, as you wouldn't believe it. So be patient.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    How many mods does the community forum have now? :p

23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    More than necessary, but modding the forum is not what's overworking us. You might have heard something about a move? :p As soon as the forums are in working order, you can expect the number of mods to decrease.

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    imo kill the senate, replace it with a "politics" tag, unify the rules in all community forums threads regardless of tag, and maybe one senate mod can stay on as a community mod

like dis post if ur down

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000