main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does Vader know Leia is his daugter?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by FirstStarWars, Sep 4, 2012.

1. FirstStarWars

FirstStarWars Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Maybe I am wrong but does Vader know who Luke's sister is or do he just know Luke has a sister? At the end he says "Tell your sister you were right" and earlier "so you have a twin sister". It seems it was written that way, as to Vader doesnt really know who she is. I never really thought about that until now

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think he knew it was Leia. Leia was the only female character in all of the OT movies.

facebook likes this.
  3. lukemaraben

lukemaraben Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I always assumed he knew it was Leia. It's true he never says her name though.

4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Shouldn't have really been that hard to figure it out, even from Vader's POV. Everything, all the confrontations practically revolved around Luke/Leia/Vader anyway.

5. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Shouldn't have really been that hard to figure it out, even from Vader's POV. Everything, all the confrontations practically revolved around Luke/Leia/Vader anyway.

6. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Your forgetting Mon Mothma, the only other woman in the galaxy.

I don't see that at all. Vader findsa out Luke is his son by doing tons of research and obsession about tracking him down. I don't think he had any idea about Leia. Maybe on the Death Star when he is trying to turn Luke he may have out two and two together.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Mon Mothma was only in ROTJ and Leia was the only female that Vader interacted with.

8. MizSarie

MizSarie Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2012
    I think he always thought there was only one child. I don't think he actually knew there were twins until maybe around the time he found Luke. Maybe he could sense through the force and through Luke that there was also a sister/daughter and that it was Leia? Or maybe it was obvious considering Luke's relationship with Leia, or the fact that her adoptive father is Bail Organa (if you consider the prequels). I mean, we all know for sure that by the end he knew he had a daughter as well because of the quote "You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister.... you were right."

9. FirstStarWars

Sep 4, 2012
    Yea, I know he knew he had a sister and he felt that in Luke in Jedi, my question did he know it was Leia

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What other female did Vader interact with in the OT?

11. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Would he necessarily have to have interacted with the sister, though, to discover her existence from Luke's emotions? What I mean is, Anakin seems to sense through the Force that Luke has been hiding something -- the existence of a twin. But there's never any indication that he is made aware of her identity, only of her existence. He never says Leia's name, for example, even when he asks Luke to tell his sister that "[he] was right." So there's no guarantee that Anakin ever realized it was Leia who was his daughter before his death. One would presume, though, that if he hadn't figured it out by then, that Obi-Wan or Yoda would tell him. Seeing Luke and Leia together during the Force ghost scene would probably strongly hint at it as well.

12. FirstStarWars

Sep 4, 2012
    We dont see everything Vader does during the OT, I am sure he meet many females, it gets lonely on the death star at night

13. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I disagree, put Tarkin in some sexy lingure, give him a few drinks and that'll spice up a boring night.

Arawn_Fenn and DarthBoba like this.
  14. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I think Vader knew it was Leia. He first mentions how Luke's feelings for his friends are strong, then he realized especially for a twin sister.

In TESB, Vader is fully aware Han and Leia are Luke's closest friends, since he uses them as bait in Bespin.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. chaos9001

chaos9001 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    I would guess that when Vader was reading Luke's mind he saw Leia, and saw Luke was connecting her as his sister.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He knew for sure when he threatened to turn her and Luke went berserk on him.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He never mentions her by name though.

In the novel- Luke senses Leia's injury (when she was shot)- and it's in that moment that Vader probes Luke's mind, and realizes.

18. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    I'm sure he knew it was Leia. Vader isn't that stupid.

19. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Well he might not have even known he had a son or daughter at the start of the OT since Palpatine told him he killed his wife when she actually died during childbirth, but once he found out Luke was his son I'm sure he probably sensed that there was another, and then he would have found out sooner or later.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    *Accidently double posted*

21. facebook

facebook Jedi Knight

Oct 16, 2012
    Does it matter if Vader knows who Luke's sister is? He's trying to goad Luke into releasing his anger. Of course, it doesn't go quite as planned. But simply knowing Luke has a sister is enough to make Luke go berserk at the thought that Vader would try to hunt her down and convert her.

22. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    He knew that he had a daughter, and he knew it was Leia. He telepathically sensed Luke's mind and found out about his daughter, whom Luke knew was Leia. Luke knew Leia was his sister, Vader telepathically searched his mind and found out about the other skywalker. Being in Luke's mind, he would have sensed Luke's thoughts about his sister. He knew it was Leia because who else would Luke be thinking of?

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not clear how much of it's telepathy and how much empathy.

From the RoTJ novel:

He was picking up additional feelings from Luke, now, new crosscurrents of doubt. Remorse, regret, abandonment. Shades of pain. But somehow not directly related to Vader. To others, to ... Endor. Ah, that was it - the Sanctuary Moon where his friends would soon die. Luke would learn soon enough: friendship was different on the dark side. A different thing altogether.
    "Give yourself to the dark side, Luke," he entreated. "It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you, son. Your feelings for them are strong, especially for-"
    Vader stopped. He sensed something.
    Luke withdrew further into shadow. He tried to hide, but there was no way to hide what was in his mind - Leia was in pain. Her agony cried to him now, and his spirit cried with her. He tried to shut it out, to shut it up, but the cry was loud, and he couldn't stifle it, couldn't leave it alone, had to cradle it openly, to give it solace.
    Vader's consciousness invaded that private place.
    "No!" screamed Luke.
    Vader was incredulous. "Sister? Sister!" he bellowed. "Your feelings have now betrayed her too ... Twins!" he roared triumphantly. "Obi-Wan was wise to hide her, but now his failure is complete." His smile was clear to Luke, through the mask, through the shadows, through all the realms of Darkness. "If you will not turn to the Dark Side, then perhaps she will."
    This, then, was Luke's breaking point. For Leia was everyone's last, unflagging hope. If Vader turned his twisted, misguided cravings on her ...
    "Never!" he screamed.

24. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Vader definitely knew he had a daughter-the thing is, did he know it was Leia?