main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    It's less an issue here than Santorum and company make it out to be. Basically it's just that the people who are against it are very, ah, passionate. (That's my polite way of saying another word for guano.) And since these people are totally getting screwed by the people who bring it up year after year, you see where this is going.

BTW, your nick? I cross my legs every time I read it.

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    It is an issue here, but it's hardly front and centre really. More on the side, supported by the left but avoided by the right and mainstream. I think people have the impression (myself included) that it's going to happen eventually but probably not very soon.

3. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Well, you must remember, Santorum believes giving gays the right to marry will destroy civilization.

Number of gays who have destroyed civilization? One.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/40/Eva24DC_Kaworu.jpg]

4. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    As in a religious way? Like bring on the apocalypse?

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Kaworu wasn't gay. He wasn't anything, really. Just Kaworu. Unless you're a Yaoi fan, then he totally loved the peen.

6. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    To Santorum, marriage is between a man and a woman, and always has been. Any modification of this will cause society to collapse. Most anthropologists worry more about incest, which according to alliance theory defeats the purpose of marriage to seal alliances between families, but not so much homosexuality.

Funny thing is, in my generation, this is less of a concern. While gay activists debate if homosexuality is hereditary, my generation wonders where exactly you draw the line between gay and straight. Hilariously, Annie Proulx hates Brokeback Mountain because of the fanfiction...coming in from straight guys. Apparently straight guys really loved it, but hated the tragic ending. (Personally, I'm more sensitive about the fact that the first sex scene is a sexual assault, but whatever.)

Please don't deny homoeroticism in a work where it's put in deliberately. Though TV Tropes' listing "Another word for 'joyful' is gay." counts as a stupid reason. And if you say he's neither male nor female, *fires canon*( I'm pretty sure Shinji would notice in the shower or bath.

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    This is like how my generation is too. Once we get the baby boomers and Gen Xers out of the way, we might get stuff done around here. I think gay marriage will evenutally be legal, it's just going to take time and a lot of effort.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, some of us Gen X'ers are very much on the side of same-sex marriage. :) My own observation from the rising debate in North Carolina due to the Amendment One vote in May: the problem comes from some of the Boomers and Gen X'ers who are insistent on clinging to their dogma, but a lot of homophobia comes from young kids who think that homosexuality is "wrong" because they have never actually met and gotten to know a gay person.

I've taught my sons that some people have a Mom and Dad, some have two Moms, and some have two Dads.

It's too early to tell how this vote will turn out. Those of us who oppose it, including our governor and at least one Republican representative, have been very vocal about it, but I'm not taking anything for granted.

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I know if I had a friend or someone in my class who had two Mums or two Dads, I would not have thought there was anything wrong with it. Just that it was different or maybe a bit unusual.

Nothing wrong.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    As an, ahem, Boomer, it was unusual to know kids whose parents were divorced! Didn't know any until high school.

But not all us Boomers stand against change, you know. ;) On the other hand you (most of you) all could be my kids and I'm on a Star Wars board...:eek:

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    When politics and sports mix it isn't pretty. Now, as a Ravens fan and supporter of marriage equality I fully support Ayanbadejo's cause and his ability to speak freely. This is wrong on so many levels and as a Marylander at heart (I live in PA currently) I'm pretty disgusted. Especially coming from a Democratic delegate. Fortunately we have the awesome sauce that is Chris Kluwe's response (NSFW language or the boards). Hopefully Steve Bisciotti responds in kind to delegate Burns' letter.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What a wonderfully simple overgeneralisation.

You know Malcolm Turnbull supports gay marriage, whereas the PM does not, right?

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You may not want to look up David Tyree's position on it then.:(

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL. My parents are Boomers (and yes, they're older than you) and they were against North Carolina's Amendment One.

I'm still bothered by what a sad day May 8 was for our state.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The states of Washington and Maryland may finally see same-sex marriage survive a referendum.

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Although a defining issue now, my hope is that in 20 years we look back with a mixture of amazement and disgust that it was ever a topic for discussion. That we would ever have to discuss treating all people as fundamentally equal.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Unfortunately the haters keep breeding.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Anyone seen the new Romney ad saying that Obama will "force gay marriage on America"? It's probably running here but I didn't work out today and the only time I see political ads is in the gym.

I'm paraphrasing a tweet from a James Morrison when I say that I don't believe it, but if it's true, I hope my new wife is nice and knows how to cook.

Valairy_Scot likes this.
  19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sad that people try to force their beliefs on others. Sadder than an elected official is trying to use his political might to stop someone else from speaking.

In my area and in my experience, beliefs about gay marriage often fall along generational lines. Most or all of my friends and aquaintances (I'm early 20s), including die-hard conservatives, are generally okay with gay marriage. It's much more split in my parents' generation, and there's mostly anti-gay-marriage sentiment in my grandparents'.

Not to say it's like this everywhere or for everyone, but given that younger people tend to be more liberal about social issues, I think gay marriage will be legal in more states and countries as time goes on and the older generations lose power.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I've been 'lucky' enough not to get that one yet (or else I haven't found it yet, since I've been avoiding broadcast stations like the plague). Probably because Virginia has a state constitutional amendment banning SSM and Civil Unions. *sighs*

I'll probably see it on YouTube before a video soon enough.:rolleyes:

21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Fire_Ice_Death beat me to it but that letter from Kluwe was awesome. I think the best line was "This is more a personal quibble of mine, but why do you hate freedom?"
    I really enjoy how thoroughly he takes Burns to task for getting upset that someone was daring to speak out about same sex marriage. Lots of foul language, but I don't see an issue with that, particularly as I think he has a lot of substantive points as well.

Same-sex marriage is, imo, inevitable. The question is how soon, and with what level of societal acceptance (beyond the legal acceptance)

22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    This one's my favourite from that link:

RC-1991 likes this.
  23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    There is some real genius in trying to bring this debate to the attention of the people who spend large chunks of their weekend and even week nights watching nfl games. People need to be reassured that gay marriage isn't going to end professional football as we know it. Once men really understand that I think political opposition will fall apart.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im pretty sure if i got gay married i would get SO much (lady) tail on the side

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    You know what would be a good protest idea? A marriage boycott. As in, heterosexual couples should refuse to get married until gays receive the same right to do so.

DarthBoba likes this.