main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What is wrong with the SW films being of their era?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It doesn't really degrade. The shortening of the telomers only seems to be relevant at really high age.

What happens to the DNA is that some parts of it may be activated and deactivated by methylations and such (imagine as glueing something to the strands), and yes, this process is influenced by your environment. So while Lucas DNA-sequence would remain the same all those years, the pattern of deactivated and activated strangs would be different. In the tests you refer to only the sequence is tested, not the "modifications". But the modifications are extremely important as they decide which genes are decoded and therefore which proteins are produced. And proteins control most of what happens in the body.

2. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Nothing is wrong with anything. Everything is a dream.[face_hypnotized]
    Personally, I do not think there is anything wrong with the films being products of their time, but if Lucas wants to fix, and mean actually fix, some of the effects, who are we to deny him that. That the Rolling Stones are still alive and a band is proof that anything can happen. I do believe he should eventually relent and give the original classic trilogy the release it deserves, but I am not going to hold my breath on that one.

3. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I would happily except new star wars in 3-D/high quality/cartoons/etc. as opposed to no new star wars at all.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What is wrong with the SW films being of their era?
    Why nothing, nothing at all
    The movies are still some of the best I've ever seen

5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I agree with this statement.

Valairy_Scot likes this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I would rather Lucas used modern technology to create new SW stories of this era rather than endlessly tinkering with the originals or even rebooting the originals.

Drewton likes this.
  7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    That's because they are not. Its good that GL has updated them to all look & feel the same. I really appreciate this. Old movies are only really good to the people who saw it first. As a fan of the entire saga, I'm glad they look & feel alike instead the way they looked in the old days, which I have no interest in watching. People just need to except what SW is now or move on.

8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I always thought it was just an indication of laziness.

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    They are, they came out in 2006 & 2008, all blu ray players play dvds.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How would you feel if the Blu-ray version that just got out were a copy of the laserdisc version? I assume you wouldn't be happy. But he had released the films on Blu-ray, right?

CoolyFett likes this.
  11. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    This

Zeta1127 likes this.
  12. Darth_Bizarro

Darth_Bizarro Jedi Padawan

May 25, 2011
    Typically speaking, the youth of the day will gravitate towards the entertainment properties that are marketed to them during their childhood. The best way to illustrate this might be something like Transformers, a franchise that has existed in many different incarnations over the years. An older fan who grew up at the beginning will almost always swear by the original G1 series, but a young kid today getting into the series will likely look towards the Michael Bay movies or the Transformers Prime animated series. I was personally a bit to young to really get into the G1 Transformers but I was super hardcore into it when Beast Wars came along and had trailed off by the time the follow up Beast Machines was released. Part of the reason why Star Wars has remained a viable kids franchise for so many years is that is keeps refreshing itself by one means or another, bringing new fans into the series who will likely revisit the older material, just like a fan of the New Doctor Who series might go back and look at some of the classic episodes. It helps too that the entire Star Wars movie franchise can easily be digested in the span of a few days. But there is a case to be made that in most cases, the youth of the day will probably not explore too far back before their time with regards to movies and TV shows unless they are ones to develop an interest in the classics as they grow up or there is something to prompt them to go back. While I've seen my fair share of classics, that list pales in comparison to the number of movies I remember fondly from the 80s and 90s as I was growing up. So yes, in a way, revising a movie for a new generation often is necessary to spark it back into mainstream. Look a Metropolis, a movie that was only just recently restored almost to completion, but without the renewed interest in the movie generated by the Giorgio Moroder pop synthesized version in the 80s, that movie might never had been brought back from the brink.

13. Darth_Bizarro

May 25, 2011
    I won'd deny that the quality of the original versions currently available isn't less than optimal. But I do believe they are available in better quality than they ever have been on any home video format and and I personally am thankful that I can still watch them in decent quality. Naturally, any time a better quality version comes along, whether it's released by a fan or Lucasfilm itself I'm going to snatch it right up, but I've grown tired of the years of letting myself get so upset by this whole situation.

14. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps when it first came out, but it's been through a few revisions now. Why change so many other things? Laziness doesn't explain that.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Actually, they were previously available in the same quality as the 2006 release, since it's a direct port of the laserdiscs. And I would hardly call that decent quality, specially for DVD standards.

So did I. My point was that saying "they came out in 2006 & 2008, all blu ray players play dvds" is not a valid argument.

16. Darth_Bizarro

May 25, 2011
    I understand that the 2006 disks were the same transfers as the 1993 laserdisc masters, but I was under the impression that they were still slightly better since DVD can hold more data than laserdisc and the masters were uncompressed slightly when put on DVD.

I suppose one persons standard of decent quality might vary from the next. I'll just say I find them watchable enough to not really worry about it too much. I can imagine that for people who don't like the special editions, it must be pretty annoying but since I usually just watch the special editions anyway, I find the originals good enough quality for me to still have the occasional nostalgia trip. Plus, I have slightly better versions than the 2006 disks, but that's a discussion for the OT.com preservation threads.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't care about the OOT being restored properly, I want that very much. But after all these years I've just gotten tired of all the negativity surrounding the issue. It's obvious that all the complaining and all the petitions hasn't really done much good and I'm honestly ready to just kick back and start enjoying Star Wars again.

17. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Why fix Luke's lightsaber color in some shots but leave it green in others? Why put more rocks in front of Artoo in one shot but not the rest? Why redo the animation for Jabba in ANH but leave the horrible cartoon monsters in his palace the way they are? It's either laziness or a calculated business plan so there will always be things left to "fix" in the next re-release.

18. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Whoops-a-daisy.

19. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Or both, or neither. Good questions though. I tend to think Lucas makes artistic decisions.

20. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Yup.

Another name for the series could be TRASH Wars. Or Star TRASH.

The series is like an endless array of luminous, warring memes, standing for or battling against obsolescence.

Republic/Separatists

Empire/Rebellion

Just two examples of yin-yang communal oppositions where memes arrange themselves into memeplexes: "lifeforms living together for mutual advantage".

Star Wars is an endless parody of forms; a satire of meaning. If Luke has a rickety lightsaber, it's probably for a point. If Yoda is CG in one episode but rubber in another, again, it's probably for a point.

That it also behooves Lucas to be a bit trashy for commercial reasons adds to the comedy/charm. It all depends on what you're willing to see and/or find value in.

21. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    The Blu Ray Complete Saga looks really good & they did a great job making ep3 & 4 look high quality. It will be the last set of star wars films I purchase, I may even buy two sets.

22. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not sure you understood my comment. I'm talking about the original, unaltered versions.

Until the next home video format arrives, I assume.

24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Nah, seriously from what I've read about the Blu Ray Complete Saga its a very satisfying set. They say it looks & sounds good. I have the 10 dvds for the saga & for years I watched those on a basic dvd player, now I have a blu ray player & these dvds look & sound better to me now. The BluRay set will be my final purchase for a few reasons. I love all the characters in those 6 films, All 6 compliment each other very well, the saga is already 13hrs long & anything extra is overkill for me, but I do love the Battlefront games & have an interest in the Lego starwars complete saga, but I have no intention of owning anyother extra films disney puts out. I do hope the new next generation of kids does like the new movies.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It may be, but there will always be a next, new and better format. The VHS were satisfying for their time, but nowadays nobody uses them (and look bad in comparison). People jumped to DVD, and now Blu-ray.