main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC How the present generation will view "old people".

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I recently spent an afternoon with a great uncle that I hadn't seen in a decade, and something very poignant occurred to me. Essentially, it is this: When the present generation of young/middle age adults see pictures of their grandparents, they are looking at a handful of black-and-white photographs, the surrounding milieu of which one can only abstractly conceptualize. This imbibes in us a sense of "that was then, but this is now", as if there were some sort of clearly delineated binary reality between the past and the present.

But it simply isn't so. Soon, the toddlers of today will be teenagers watching high-definition videos of their grandparents being young, handsome, and engaged in tomfoolery. Indeed, when even they are grandparents, their grandchildren will watch their great-great grandparents in such forms of media.

This is an observation that has been really sobering to me over the past few days...one day the house that I and my family presently live in will be the residence of a young, growing family in the year 2100, who can't even fathom how long ago the year 2000 seems. Previously, the past was always an alternate universe where "they" didn't even have TV, phones, and internet. But for the present generation of grandchildren, it will not be so.

Not terribly open-ended, but it's something that has really struck me as of late, so discuss further :p

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's cool, our present will eventually be an alternate universe where "we" didn't have the newest neural uplink superchip but "we got along just fine. Damn kids."

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    we also don't have gay abortion-marriages on demand like they will in the future

4. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Uphill. Both ways. In the snow.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    So your epiphany was "time rolls on"?

6. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    pretty soon artists like snoop dog and linkin park will be considered 'oldies.' oh the humanity.

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    This presumes that we make it to the year 2100.

8. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    We presume that the HD quality pictures and videos we routinely post on the internet are the apex of technology. Our grandparents thought the same about grainy black and white photos. It is difficult to imagine how things will change by the year 2100. The computers and smart phones of the future may not be able to view any of the pictures or videos that we take on our iPhone today. For instance, my car has a CD player and cannot play a cassette tape because the technology is obsolete. Soon, CD players will be obsolete. To the future generation, terms like TV, phone and internet will be analogous to phonograph, semaphore and cotton gin to the present generation.