main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    So, I was going through my old 'fics 'cause I'm having trouble sleeping (I seem to have developed a sudden stuffy nose. :( ), and I came across a really horrible one from '02. Anyone else go through their old stuff and just cringe?

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've cringed horribly while writing something, does that count?

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I think we've all cringed while writing something, to be honest. "I can't believe I'm writing this line, but nothing else works . . ."

4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    FASSBENDER

5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
  6. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Somebody mentioned Fassbender. I <3 him.

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Oh, was that the mention that the guy in my icon looks like him?

8. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Yep. I mentioned Fassbender. :p New official Kyp pic looks like him. Or the other way around. He's a wonderful actor, though. I really enjoyed him in Inglorious Basterds. And Magneto, of course. Haven't seen Prometheus yet but I'm going to. And...um...of course...Shame.

Man...where'd the mischief smiley go? [face_plain]

I was just reading through older fics this afternoon but instead of cringing, I was surprised that some of the old stuff is actually pretty good. Of course, there are some fics where I can't help but wonder what the hell was wrong with my head. Happens, I suppose.

9. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I haven't seen Shame yet. I've seen pics, though. Rawr.

Prometheus was...meh. But he was great in it.

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ah, no, this was more " dear goodness, what the heck am I writing? This isn't making sense, it's ridiculous, and I'm confused as to what the heck is going on!" than "oh dear, that line was rather cheesy" . . . :p

Valairy Scot likes this.
  11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I cringe when I read my old stuff from high school or years ago. Hell, I cringe when I look through my old sketchbooks. "Dear god... Was I drunk when I drew that?"

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sometimes I cringe when reading old stuff, other times I just facepalm and want to smack myself.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    *Wanders in* We're back? We're back!

I cringe at a lot of my old stuff, at a lot of my new stuff too. :D ;)

I am not buying as many Transformers as I used to. The prices are rising and the quality is dropping. :(

14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I haven't bought an action figure in ages. I have the feeling they're getting smaller. Compared to the figures my brother used to collect, the ones you can buy today are really small.

15. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    ahh i see JediMara77 finally appeared. I knew she would sometime after mentioning Fassbender.

Anyways... yeah I cringe sometimes when I go back and read the fanfic i had ten years ago. *shudder*

As fo action figures I don't buy them usually. I was on the hunt for them at Celebration but they didn't have what I wanted. Boo.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't normally buy action figures either. I have one of Baird from Gears of War 3 and one of Grand Moff Tarkin as they released a new one earlier this year and had to get it. There has to be something about the character for me to get the action figure. I want a figure of Kat from Halo: Reach but there are three and I can't find the one I want.

Although, to keep it fanfic relevant, I guess playing with action figures is a great way of coming up with ideas. I think it was Dan Abnett who said he played around with model aircraft while writing fighter action, making the models do what he wanted the characters to do and then describing it in words.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I have a box full of figures and I keep buying more. I also have started up a collection of Fighter Pods minis, as they're to scale with my other miniatures and I sculpt more. I occasionally buy 12" figures for stop-motion purposes. I love toys, I don't think I'll ever grow out of them. It's the price that keeps climbing higher that keeps me from buying as many as I would like.

As for how the pertain to fan fiction? I play with them to act out some ideas that may or may not become translated to paper. Playing with my toys helps in writing scripts for stop-motion or audio work. Having the toys around helps with getting that muse into action while I'm idly posing the toy. I play with the toys to act out scenes, as sort of an animatic before writing or filming them; see what works and what doesn't.

I've flown my X-win and TIE Fighter around, reenacting scenes from the X-Wing books just to imagine them better. Toys have lots of uses!

And, if you're bored, you can pose them in embarrassing positions. :p

18. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    The only figures I've bought in recent years were the ones from Assassins Creed. And they're not really toys but they're absolutely lovely to look at.
    I'd never have come up with writing fanfic while playing around with an action figure. It's a neat idea though.

19. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I think they forgot to add it in after the My Little Pony emoticons got taken out. (For those that missed April Fools... do visit the archive. It was... somewhat entertaining. Somewhat.)

And the only time I cringe at reading old stuff of mine is if I wrote it while in high school. Have come a long, long way since then...

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I don't have very many action figures to play with (I actually only have 2 and they're still in the packaging) but whenever I need to write a lightsaber duel, I tell one, or both, of my brothers to get their plasic lightsabers (or nurf guns if there are blasters involved) and they help me act out a realistic scene so I can get a better picture in my head.

I've also may have referenced my Lego Millenium Falcon. And putting Lego people in embarrassing positions is fun.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I am a hardcore collector's worst nightmare.

I play with my toys. :eek:

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't exactly play with mine, but they aren't in the packaging, except one, and only because it's old. It's a Power of the Force Grand Moff Tarkin. If I see another one I'll get it just so I can remove it from the packaging. Not that I'm obsessed with GMT or anything or even wrote a fanfic where I set him up on a blind date . . oh, wait, I did do that. :D

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I have a PotF Tarkin! :D I also have three IG-88s, two that are broken, and I have plans to buy more. I will have an army of IG-88s in no time. Why so many? One was from the SotE two-pack with Fett (I need to get another, more posable Fett some day) and they other two were Saga releases. Both are broken in some way, so I need to get another. Even if it's just to have spare parts.

Now, my Zuckuss figures... Got the mini-bust, the PotF figure, the Saga collection figure, the 12" figure (new acquisition from CVI), a pewter RPG miniature, the Galactic Heroes figure...

...I can stop any time! [face_phbbbbt]

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I have 1-2 in the package. The rest, out and about. :D And I love them, too. As for being about fanfic? Meh, this is the social thread. :D

TrakNar likes this.
  25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    TrakNar: I'm somewhat jealous! I have the PotF Tarkin, the Vintage Collection Tarkin, and I have a Tarkin playing card (back during Celebration Europe they had the whole set of cards with one open for display, I asked if I could have the Tarkin card and the guy said yes). I thought I had more but my mind's gone blank. I do know that ebay is good though, I've seen a few things on there that I want! Now, if people bought my book (link in my sig) then I'd be able to get more. ;)

Edit: it's only Grand Moff Tarkin I'm after, non of the PT stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.