main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Star Wars: Ewok and Droids Cartoon Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by vong333, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Interesting about current restrictions on brand names - in the '80's rules regarding this were a lot more lax - I know that in the classic 1982 sci-fi film "Blade Runner", brand names were all over the place (though the film took place in the future).

Re: your question, I have seen a portion of the 2004 "Ewoks" re-edited DVD, and was not at all impressed. And, yes, the classic introductory song was missing. Also, I would have preferred to have seen the cartoons in their separate entirety, not as an edited, cobbled-together mess.

Here's a link with for reference on the "Ewoks" show - the DVD info. is towards the bottom of the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Ewoks

I haven't seen the 2004 "Droids" DVD, but, according to Wikipedia & a review of the DVD set, it appears that the iconic, classic introductory theme song "Trouble Again" is missing on here as well.

Here's the links for reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Droids (info. on the Droids DVD is on the bottom of the page)

http://www.genreonline.net/SWDroids_DVD.html

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Meh. I'd rather Bioware pump out 3 or 4 more cinematic trailers for SWTOR, or at the very least Timeline 13.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's just in kids' TV that brand names are forbidden these days (Australia & UK, not sure about the US). Other programmes tend to require clearance from the actual companies to be on the safe side, but they're not restricted by the governing bodies.

4. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Probably most people on here are aware of this now, but at Celebration VI the starwars.com panel asked the audience if they were interested in seeing Ewoks and Droids episodes on the official site. From the reports that I heard, the reaction from the audience was very positive. Hopefully this means that there's something in the works!

fistofan1 likes this.
  5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I still think they should release this on dvd/blue ray

6. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Never watched these series and I am glad I never did...

Heero_Yuy and Legolas Skywalker like this.
  7. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    I understand why some people don't like Droids or Ewoks. It's just not their thing. Just like some people don't like the prequels, the EU, the Clone Wars, ewoks in Return of the Jedi and any number of other things beyond the original Star Wars.
    Now, anybody want to share what they do like about these shows?
    For me, I think the biggest thing is nostalgia. That, and the fact that these shows are mostly unknown or ignored by younger fans today. It's kind of fun pulling for an area of Star Wars that most people don't care about anymore and for characters that most people have forgotten. I admit that not every episode was awesome. Probably none of them were. But they were simple, innocent and fun, and there were some good things in them. It would be nice to have some of the characters, droids and planets make an appearance in the EU of today or at least get some attention in the Essential Guides.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  8. Mika-El-Hakim

Mika-El-Hakim Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2012
    Mungo Baobab was mentioned in the Atlas and also in a Hyperspace short story.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Droids, well at least the first two episodes, are great, but I don't know what to think about Ewoks yet.

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Thall Joben FTW! We've heard rumors of an appearance for Thall in the live action show, and I think a cool scene for it would be the when the 'mysterious stranger' drops off a speeder for some repairs, never to return. It would be cool to actually see the moment Joben discovers his lightsaber in that speeder.

Oh, and it's probably just me, but I'd rather any new look at Thall not include half of a shaved scalp - just keep the hair!

11. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    Box set of The Clone Wars announced at Celebration Europe, but what about Droids and Ewoks? Hopefully someone will ask if anything is in the works before Celebration is over!

12. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    If I didn't know any better, I'd say that they want people to more or less forget about these two shows and want to fully focus on the modern ones. But since the CVI visitors were positive to DVD releases as pointed out above, we might see those in the future in some way, but they still feel pretty far away.

13. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I'm not sure why Lflm./Disney isn't releasing the Droids/Ewoks cartoons; they know the shows are popular enough, and SW has a built-in fanbase - so, even if someone weren't familiar with the cartoons, they may check them out just because of curiosity.

At the SW celebration in August 2012, IIRC it was announced that the cartoons would be available for viewing on the official SW website in Fall 2012 (presumably they were going to be cleaned up/remastered). However, it's a year later and still no news. If they don't think DVD's of the cartoons will sell well enough to justify making them, why not go forward with their announced plan of making them available on the website? It would be nice to see the cartoons in this way (especially if the picture quality is good), since every other format they're available in now is sub-par.

My guess is that Lflm./Disney has their hands full preparing for EP VII in 2015. However, how tough would it be to take some time, clean up the cartoons, and make them officially available for streaming? If they were available for free, it would be a nice gesture to fans who have been wanting to see the shows in a good format for year.....

Trebor Sabreon and Kez-Iban like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Pirates and the Prince arc from Droids was amazing.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Same here

16. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't understand fellas, how can you be glad if you've never even watched? Maybe you'd be surprised to find that something - some character, ship or storyline - strikes your fancy.

I know that personally, after not seeing these shows for nearly 30 years, I was pleasantly surprised by Droids. Same thing with some of the old Marvel comics. You never know.

17. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed with the apparent proudness of not having seen either Droids or Ewoks; you could always try to watch an episode or two before making up your mind. They're not that bad.

Well, I guess it's easier to appreciate the two series at least a bit if you remember an episode or two from a young age (and in a nostalgic sense too).

18. Shadow_imperium

Shadow_imperium Jedi Master

May 14, 2004
    That's what got me to rewatch Ewoks a couple years ago. I vaguely remember watching them well reruns of them as a child in the late '80s. Wasn't fully sure what to expect but after a few episodes I was hooked. I've grown to love Ewoks, which for a while I'd ignore as much as possible in ROTJ. Hell I now collect their figures and campaign for more cartoon related Ewoks to be made, Asha specifically, and was thrilled when they released Kneesaa last year; before that I had a Jabba and Co. only policy. The designs are really fun, and although some of the stories are a bit out there, they remind me a lot of fantasy esque cartoons I loved as a kid.

Taste is relative, but they way people dismiss this and Droids (of which I've only seen an old vhs...it had pirates with TIE fighters painted with skulls) is a bit much. They aren't the worst things with Star Wars on it, and are pretty fun, just gotta lighten up some.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I watched almost the entire series before dismissing it, so I think I earned the right. Some of my favorite cartoons are from that era (Thundarr the Barbarian) but it's geared at like a less-than-8-year-old audience which makes it kind of worthless to me except for the occasional better-than-average episode.

20. Shadow_imperium

Shadow_imperium Jedi Master

May 14, 2004
    Fair enough, I was agreeing with Nexumaster about people dismissing the cartoons, and anything in general, before seeing it for themselves. I regret that last bit about lightening up, it was unnecessary and contradicts my previous statement about taste being relative.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Exactly. I mean, come on. I think it's pretty clear that no one is saying SW fans are "not allowed" to not like the shows. Quite the contrary, in fact. After all, while I happen to personally enjoy and appreciate Droids for what it is, I could certainly see someone watching either it or Ewoks and coming away unimpressed.

I just can't help but wonder about the wisdom of dismissing something out-of-hand, without ever having given it a chance.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
  23. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    I just finished watching the animation collecting panel hosted by Shane Turgeon at Celebration V, and wow, I was really impressed! Loads of good information on the making of Ewoks and Droids. Maybe I'm the only one who hadn't seen this yet, but I'm going to post a link to it anyway because it is well worth watching and listening to. Here it is: http://theswca.com/hobbyarchive/2010/panels/animation.html
    This has me wishing even more that there will someday be a 'Making of' type of book focused on the various Star Wars animated series!