main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Yin and Yang in Attack Of The Clones

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Samnz, Sep 6, 2012.

1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Those aren't really that great. Half the time the author seems to apologize for everything or just ramble.

There is a MUCH better one of ROTS where the guy does a shot for shot one where he explains the imiges for every like 2 minuets of the movie all the way to the end.

anyone have that one? Or know what im talking about? I dont remember the name but i t was really, really good.

2. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    I just tried to do a google serch for it but foolish me forgot that the internet has been completlt turned off and taken away from us by the hateboy complex.

I for got what would happen if i tried to do a simple google search on the words "ROTS review". Every single suggestion, every SINGLE thing that comes up has to do with the basher reviews and RLM. Ya know the same RLM thats has been totally rebuttled and disproved systematically years ago.

Guess Theres no internet to use with regards to trying to search for something SW that isn't smug, pretentious bashing anymore. :mad:

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I was looking for these, because as I said, he draws a lot of comparisons and symbolism.

P.S: Here's his review of The Phantom Menace.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

I'd suggest Luke's quote is an acknowledgement that it will never be eradicated. You're always going to have victims of injustice unless you set up dictatorial happy land, at which point you become what you were trying to prevent to begin with.

5. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    I was just skimming through and its just amazing how MUCH better the new print/blu-ray version of TPM is. Wow its just amazing.

I really think its important for spike tv to replace the version they have now with the blu-ray version of that film. Its almost a shocking night and day difference.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It still has a lot of DNR, but it's a worthy upgrade nonetheless. Hope they restore the movie for the next format (and leave some grain in).

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Yes, I can help. Or, at least, I SHOULD be able to, since I'm the one that posted it to the Star Wars Prequel Appreciation Society message board, from where it was subsequently posted to the main SWPAS news page. Here it is:

http://checkingonmysausages.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/examining-star-wars-saga-via-revenge-of.html

Don't sweat it too much, Rob. That DOES get annoying -- real fast -- but there are some positive sites and pages if you know where to look. At times, I'm rather entertained by the negativity, especially if I'm in the mood to read some, but I also get a little aggravated when I run into a random bash, like in a YouTube comment or whatever (granted, it's my fault, half the time, for reading something as dumb as YouTube comments to begin with).

Well, sure. I don't have a Blu-ray player, yet, but I've gazed lovingly at screencaps, I saw TPM 3D -- based on the Blu-ray transfer -- at the cinema, and I have downloaded the lightsaber duel from YouTube sourced from the Blu-ray. Very nice. Call me crazy, however, because I'm still fond of the original "burnt sienna" look of the DVD transfer, as I call it. Also, it seems that TPM is maybe meant to have a milder grey-green colour cast, and not the grey-blue, super-saturated look of the Blu-ray, or the red-brown look of the DVD. If you have the "Episode I: Insider's Guide" CD-ROM, the clips used on that have the grey-green look, and so, I think, do clips used in the supplementary material on the TPM DVD. So, this film has had at least three different looks, up to this point, and I don't know if one has been settled on yet.

The DNR is disquieting. At the cinema, shot quality varied quite a bit because of this. Some shots were tack sharp and looked absolutely stunning, and a few even had a hint of grain, but a lot were a bit too smooth, and a few were really poor, indeed. Sad that Lucas hasn't treated the film he worked five years on, and the last Star Wars film captured 35mm anamorphic, with a more delicate touch.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The weird thing is, Lucasfilm seem to have TPM master in good shape. They have all these good looking screenshots...

9. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Thank you so much for that link cryo!

I just wish I could have been able to just search it in google and be able to find it, only because it makes me mad people cant do simple google searches without seeing all the negativity. But anyways im just glad I have it as I think its brilliant.

I must disagree about the new blu-ray TPM print not being perfect because I truly do think it is perfect and without a doubt the best looking blu-ray in the whole set. The whole movie is now wider on the left and right sides and everything. The color is shockingly brilliant on my 1080P 57'' tv. It is the best it has ever looked since 1999 IMO. The best I have ever seen it. It has even made me watch it the most out of my boxset lately. I strongly suggest buying a cheep blu-ray player and the boxset to any SW fan.

The set itself is almost perfect with its extras and menus. I say almost because I wish it would have just had the legacy revealed doc from the history channel but it was close enough. The new commentary tracks are great as well. The fact that wicket now blinks also gives the whole character more realism and gives him a much bigger presents in the whole film more like jar-jars in TPM. The eyes blinking was an amazingly good idea IMO. The new shot of jabbas door makes the whole castle seem more dangerous and imposing. And the new sound mix is the best in any of the previous releases. I think this last set was the best and most we could have ever reasonably hoped for out of LFL. Oh yea......AND THE LIGHTSABERS IN JEDI HAVE BEEN FIXED![face_praying]8-}[face_dancing]:D:cool:

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That would expected from a Blu-ray, right? But the fact that it has (sometimes excessive) DNR applied throughout the movie makes it imperfect by default. The best looking movie as far as PQ goes is without a doubt RotS. In fact, it's reference quality material.

11. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    To be honest I just watched half of ROTS on blu-ray yesterday and it doesn't look as good as TPM. I just don't see what is so "perfect" about it but i think it has something to do with the preference people have to the film itself rather than the way it looks. Maybe its just the fact that TPM is simply an absolutely beautiful film with the best locations but I cant find anything that looks so breathtaking as this new print of it. The difference is more than night and day. Look at screenshots like the sun setting when qui-gon puts his hand on obi-wans shoulder. The way it useto look and the way it now does. Before you couldn't even see the sky it was just all so fudged out, it was almost a completely different color. The job they did on the TPM blu-ray was outstanding to say the least.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I could post a comparison, but would that change your opinion?

Not at all. TPM is not only my favourite of the prequels but my favourite Star Wars film alongside ANH.

I'm not arguing that. I'm talking about picture quality. It's not bad, but could be better.

Ok, since that shot is one of the affected ones (DNR and high constrast) in this release, I shall post a comparison. Take a look at the robes and the faces. With a proper restoration of TPM, you would get the first picture with the sharpness and resolution that Blu-ray offers:

Theatrical:

[​IMG]

DVD:

[​IMG]

Blu-ray:

[​IMG]

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

See, I like the bottom (blu-ray) picture best. Its the only one where the sun is bright and affects the actors in frame in a visually stunning way.

The other two look fudged out and blurry. The top one I guess would be 2nd best but thats not saying much at all imo.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The sun is bright because it was changed in this release. But that doesn't excuse the rest of the frame being black. On the first picture, you can't see the actors, and their robes. Those details are lost on Blu-ray.

That's not comparable. They are blurry because of the lower resolution. As I said, if the first one was on Blu-ray, you would get the sharpness of the last one with the detail of the first one.

15. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    TPM may seem better because it's so much better than before, but ROTS is still miles better in quality. Here's a comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    did cryogenic leave/delete his account?

Were the star wars DVD transfers very good? I didn't notice a HUGE jump on bluray.

I mean, I saw the the improvements in bits of ROTS and in the OT, but I have seen the films (EP I and II) so many times on DVD i might not even be able to tell the difference!

17. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    It's not there.

18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks for asking after me.

I was banned, but it was apparently accidental.

Took a while to put right, but I'm finally back.

19. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Subtext Mining likes this.