main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Why are "The Critic's Top ten" hardly ever on?

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 9, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    thus:

Critics’ Top 10 Films of All Time
    10. 8 ½9. The Passion of Joan of Arc8. Man with a Movie Camera
    7. The Searchers
    6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
    4. La Règle du jeu
    3. Tokyo Story
    2. Citizen Kane
    1. Vertigo

In fact I have only seen 2001 on this list and the rest are never on cable. I relize there is perhaps some kind of business/ownership thing at work here, but why are these films so arre to see on cable?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

"Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies. Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less, and are repeated ad nauseam."

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Netflix. :p

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    You know, it's so funny, nowadays movies and TV shows wouldn't even think of playing "devil's advocate" like that for music/movie/TV piracy, like that one The Oatmeal comic about trying to watch Game of Thrones.

(Just saying).

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That episode wasn't playing Devil's advocate - they made it pretty damn clear that Homer was in the wrong.

6. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Money relocating between pockets.

Because I haven't seen any of those films and I'm not particularly interested in seeing any of them either.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    None of them are in HD. Most aren't in color. Some aren't in English.

Networks don't play them because America wouldn't watch.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN and jp-30 like this.
  8. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Snooki Boo Boo they are not.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    because you touch yourself

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I know Citizen Kane, The Searchers, and 2001 are on Blu-ray, so there should/could easily be HD transfers for TV broadcast. And every one of those films can be in HD.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Where is that list from? Never seen Vertigo top these kind of lists before. Great move, but not best of all time.

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    what

Darth_Guy likes this.
  14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    What we have here, bacon, is an example of the kind of person who believes that a movie isn't in HD unless it was shot on "HD" cameras, even though film has as high to higher resolution than an "HD" camera.

Also, these movies are not on cable very often because there is a limited audience for them. However, most of them play if you know where to look. TCM, for example.

Bacon164 likes this.
  15. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    That was more of my point.
    Some of the movies on this list are almost a century old. Most are over 50. You can't possibly say that an 85 year old B&W is equal to modern HD. No matter how much restoration it gets. Not to mention sound quality.

If it's not new and exciting, most Americans aren't interested. If cable companies can get more viewers showing the latest Hollywood drivel they will. I'm not saying it's better, it's just the way it is.

16. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    For what its worth, almost every single movie on that list actually exists in a stunning high-definition digital transfer, and that many of them rival and exceed, in visual quality, any movie shot on digital cameras to date.

Bacon164 likes this.
  17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    there's a big part of me that really really hates George Lucas for shooting AOTC in a digital format. like reaaaaalllly hates him. this thread is one of the reasons why.

18. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Why would you want to see these works of art on cable, where they'll be hacked to bits by consumerist propaganda and censored for your safety and the network's stringent schedule?

Additionally, why would anyone still subscribe to this "service"?

Frank T. and DarthLowBudget like this.
  19. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    From a non-American POV, those are barely on British TV either. I think I saw Citizen Kane on terrestrial once and Vertigo on Film4, but that's about it.

20. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Ok, wasn't aware of that. Be that as it may though, the fact that most of them are in black and white probably has more to do with them not being on TV than whatever resolution they could be broadcast at.

21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    The blockbusters, the crowd-pleasers, generally don't do well with the critics. The "good films" generally don't do well at the box office. The Avengers is way way way way way more fun to watch than Bicycle Thieves, but a critic saying that The Avengers is the "better" Bicycle Thieves would lose his job.
    And the critics' opinions are always different than many normal peoples'. Apparently the current best restaurant in the world is Noma (according to critics), but a lot of people would rather just have some cookie-cutter Mexican place's tacos than the langoustine with red kelp powder whatever appetizer.