main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Shadows of the Empire - Lucas approval

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Alexrd, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I also see some swoops in the ANH-SE which seem reminiscent of the SOTE swoop riders.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, and you can see a swoop gang in TPM aswell.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The Sentinel landers from the SOTE game are also in Mos Eisley in the ANH SE.

I also seem to remember the old Databank saying that Lucas dictated that Xizor's look should be based on the Dashade...anyone else remember this?

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This is what was written in the behind the scenes section of Xizor's Databank entry:

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Finished looking through the 'Secrets' book - nothing more to report really. Actual mention of GL (as opposed to Lucasfilm) was pretty sparse. But now I have an urge to read the novel again.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Thanks for looking through it. It's strange that there isn't a source for those supposed Lucas claims. I can't find an interview during that time regarding SotE.

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Most sources claim that Lucas said that he would make a film about SOTE if he could in an interview in the 90's. Unfortunately, it seems it was in an interview that was never recorded. Too bad. Sure, it opens up conspiracy theories, though I'm fairly inclined to believe it.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I believe in it aswell, but I would still like to source it. ;)

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Hmm. I wonder what I was thinking of, then. I'm almost positive it was somewhere from the old OS.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Ah, Shadows of the Empire. So, so, so nineties it somehow managed to have a mullet and acid washed jeans.

I always loved Dash Rendar:

[​IMG]

Oh, Shadows of the Empire.

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That's Cable, not Dash

GrimdarkRose likes this.
  12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Congratulations, you've found the joke.

13. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Only memory i have of SOTE is playing the N64 In college and it reminding me of how much i missed Star Wars. I believe i beat the game and also as many of you found the junkyard and IG88 so difficult to kill. Playing against Boba Fett was a thrill. I ended up getting the action figures many years later reminding me of what a great multi media event this was(I love the imperial disguise concept Luke had and the swoop troopers were awesome). TFU was a big hit, but no where near as successful as SOTE. I would say i liked SOTE video game better but not the action figures. I never read the novels, but read that SOTE was better.

Can you imagine a spinoff? A reason to have Boba Fett do his thing on screen again.

14. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Shadows of the Empire dominated the Star Wars universe in 1996. Really enjoyed the novel & Dark Horse comic tie-in, as well as the soundtrack, "Making of" book, and figures/vehicles. Also, SOTE was very significant in that, love it or hate it, it's the first time the "canon" story between ESB & ROTJ was told. Re: the DH mini-series, I liked how this filled in the gaps re: the novel; also enjoyed the great art by Killiam Plunkett. IIRC, the SOTE comic is one of the first times we see Vader depicted with red eye coverings (on his helmet).

The SOTE game was the only thing I wasn't that familiar with (never had any game systems). However, I wish Lflm./Disney would re-release this for computers now. I know I could buy an older copy for my computer, but don't think it would be compatible with my modern operating system. And, I don't want to buy an old gaming system just to play SOTE.

At the time, I remember that this got a lot of publicity by Lflm. When the SOTE HC novel was released, I remember going into Border's Books & seeing piles of this all over the place; IIRC, at that time there were more copies of SOTE published than any other SW novel.

This was also a great way to get SW back in the public eye again, which IMHO paved the way for the overall excellent theatrical Star Wars: Special Editions releases from January - March 1997. In fact, the Outrider & the Swoop - which were both in the SE ANH Mos Eisley Spaceport sequences - were originally in SOTE.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I have a strange nerdy need to read the book before watching ROTJ. Same with ROTS, have to read LOE first.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yes, zombie thread from beyond the deep but, hey, the N64 game / novel / comic were really sweet. I even had Secrets of Shadows of the Empire. Never went all in with the trading cards / musical score, though.

18. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Shadows Of the Empire was great. I always thought Xizor's death was a bit ambigious. Was there ever a plan to bring him back at some point?

Also, I really liked Shadows Of the Empire Sourcebook. WEG did a great job with their sourcebooks.

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I had that in reserve but was too slow.

20. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    an animated Shadows of the Empire movie would have been better back in the day instead of the old floppy disc X Wing or TIE Fighter PC Games.

I love old floppy disc drive PCs and floppy disc PC games but back then I thought the X Wing PC games were a bit strange and they had some bad storytelling even if it was Star Wars pc games about X Wings.

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I forgot this thread until I got a like notice on the my "That's Cable, not Dash" comment

22. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Shadows of the Empire. My second all time favorite EU story with Dark Empire in first place. Having the book, the comic, the game, the soundtrack, AND the figurines really helps make the experience feel great, but I love the Dark Empire radio drama more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I wish Shadows of the Empire had a full audio drama.

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    my dad works at lucasfilms and he said that gerge lucas personally oversaw every aspect of the game, book, comic and evolution

source: my dad who works at lucasfilms

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004