main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Revenge of the Sith: Anakin vs Yoda & Obi Wan vs Darth Sidious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by kenobifan1999, Sep 4, 2012.

?

Who wins?

1. Heroes Win

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. Villains Win

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Anakin beats Yoda, Obi Wan beats Sidious

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Yoda beats Anakin, Sidious beats Obi Wan

44 vote(s)
    74.6%
  1. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Okay so if yoda fought anakin and obiwan fought sidious what would have been the outcome?

I personally say that anakin would have beaten Yoda, and that obiwan would have beaten Darth Sidious..

here's my reasons

Anakin vs Yoda

-In episode 2 Anakin was confident he rivaled Yoda in saber skills.
    -In episode 2 Palpatine said that anakin was "becoming the greatest of all jedi, even more powerful than master yoda"
    -In episode 3 anakin defeats dooku when yoda could not
    -In episode 3 Anakin firmly believes he can defeat sidious, and sidious beat yoda pretty badly in their fight
    -Sidious even admits that soon vader would be more powerful than he is

This is why I believe anakin wins. Now to counter this someone could say that yoda did a lot better against dooku in episode 2.... which is obviously true, however to be fair anakin was fighting in the geonosis arena for a while, and he was being held on geonosis for a while and was exhausted and hadnt eaten in hours so he was far from peak strength. same goes for obi wan. so anakin was pretty exausted and not at full strength vs dooku. while yoda was at full strength since he hadnt been battling at all that day. also dooku was slightly exausted after fighting obiwan and anakin so versus yoda he didnt have as much energy.

Obi Wan vs Sidious

-Anakin was stated to be abovve the emperor in power, and obiwan was dead even with anakin.

Thats my main argument point. To counter this people might say Yoda said obiwan wasnt strong enought to beat the emperor and it seems pretty strait forward. there are flaws with this however..

-Yoda has never seen the emperor fight/has no knowlege of his fighting powers
    -Obiwan did not want to fight anakin, yoda says "deastroy the sith we must", its very possible that yoda put obiwan against anakin to make sure that he would destroy the sith no matter what and do his duties.

okay thats my reasonings, so i say anakin beats yoda, and obiwan beats sidious.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    One would obviously assume that the older combatants - Yoda and Sidious - would emerge the victors.

But . . . Anakin had no emotional hangups about Yoda. I suspect that he would have fought the Jedi Master with more cold anger, which leads me to believe it would have been a crap shoot over who would have emerged the victor over that duel. As for a duel between Obi-Wan and Sidious . . . I see the latter winning that fight. Obi-Wan was lucky with Anakin in regard to two matters - familiarity and the younger man's emotional feelings toward him. Even with those advantages over Anakin, Obi-Wan still had problems with him. If Obi-Wan had fought Sidious, he would have been dead.

kainee and Valairy Scot like this.
  3. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    I dont think it's fair to say obiwan got lucky. i mean the fight could have gone either way anakin was definatly not dominating the fight and if anythign obiwan was holding back slightly. i think things would have been different if he went up against a weaker sidious...

4. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm not very sure would would win between Anakin and Yoda, since Anakin wouldn't be flipping over in anger being confronted by him, but I think it could go either way, honestly.

Obi-Wan vs Sidious? I see Sidious taking it, giving Obi-Wan the benefit of the doubt and saying Sidious can't break through his defense, he's going to be overwhelmed by his force abilities, nonetheless.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Between Yoda and Anakin I have to give the edge to Yoda. Anakin is good but able to beat Yoda? I can't see it. Obi-Wan I think can take Palpatine unless Palpatine goads Obi-Wan about Qui-Gonn and the fallen Anakin.

Thuro likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin wins and Obi-Wan wins

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I voted for "Yoda beats Anakin, Sidious beats Obi Wan" because I generally think that what Yoda says to Obi-Wan (and what that also implies) is true and accurate.

kainee, darth_mccartney and Alexrd like this.
  8. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Based on the choreography alone the results would be very skewed. If one knew nothing about character power they would assume that.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is the greatest duelist in the whole saga (he has the most duels and mostly puts up a good fight)
    Anakin is second best.
    Darth Maul is third best.
    Qui-Gon is fourth.
    Dooku is fifth.
    Yoda is sixth.
    Mace is seventh.
    Palpatine is eighth
    Grievous is ninth.
    etc.

But we have to take in account the real power of the characters, not their choreography that are designed to accommodate the actors, not the characters.

On this basis alone, Yoda and Sidious would emerge victorious.

MacetheCouncillor likes this.
  9. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    Yoda beats Anakin, Sidious beats Obi-Wan.

10. Jeanine Berry

Jeanine Berry Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2012
    Yoda would beat out Anakin. Sidious would win over Obi Wan, but I'd hate to see those two fight because I love them both.

11. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't see Obi-Wan beating Sidious.

12. Chosen_Jedi74

Chosen_Jedi74 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Yoda would beat Anakin but I;m not really sure on that one. Obi-wan had a hard time with Dooku so I don't see him having a chance against Sidious. Even yoda knows Obi-Wan didn't have much of a chance against Sidious'

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    While a character's thoughts do not necessarily reflect reality - ie Yoda thinking Obi-Wan stood no chance against Sids - I think Sids has the clear edge. Obi-Wan is good, but Sids would pull out all the steps while retaining his (calm) head while Obi-Wan would fight as a Jedi. Now, if Sids grew overzealous and left some opening for Obi-Wan to exploit before Sids overpowered him- he'd have a chance.

A chance.

14. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Yoda would beat Anakin. I see Yoda as being superior in terms of knowledge of the force and also in lightsaber-skills. Plus he has hundreds of years of experience to draw upon.

Sidious would beat Obi-Wan. While I consider Obi-Wan to be superior concerning skills with a lightsaber, I think Sidious’ superior knowledge in the force would win him the day.

15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think Yoda would have killed Anakin, and Sidious would have killed Obi-Wan.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, Obi-Wan does unwittingly tell Darth Sidious, "Chancellor Palpatine, Sith Lords are our specialty."

17. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Yoda beats Anakin. Perhaps if Anakin were in his prime and at his full potential he would he edge Yoda out, but he's not. And as much as I love Obi-Wan, he had no chance in hell again Sidious. Even Yoda couldn't beat him and that's saying a lot.

18. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Between Sideous and Obi-Wan, I don't think there's really a contest. Obi-Wan's good, sure, but Palpatine's been training for wayy longer than Obi-Wan's even been alive. If Obi-Wan could hold out long enough to get to the part where Sideous starts cackling and drooling, he might be able to survive. But win? Doubtful. The dark side is pretty much just raw power. Basically, if Yoda couldn't do it then Obi-Wan couldn't either.

Now for Yoda vs. Anakin, that's close. Yoda's obviously had about 850 years more training, but Anakin's driven by anger. I think he had more anger stored up against Yoda, too. Obi-Wan, it was more... rage. It was only driven by more rage. His anger at Yoda, however... that's driven by years of resentment starting way back when he spoke against Anakin joining the jedi. I think in the end, Yoda would win, if only because he'd still be able to think clearly.

This is assuming we're talking about who would actually win, and not who Lucas would have written as victor. Killing off the younger generation doesn't leave much room to continue the plot.

kainee likes this.
  19. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Anakin would put up a good fight for Yoda, considering Yoda was challenged when facing Count Dooku in EP2, but Anakin defeated Dooku in EP3, but Yoda would still win because he has greater lightsaber skills and much greater skills with the force. Obi-Wan would also put up a good fight for Sidious, but his skills wouldn't be enough to defeat him, considering Sidious defeated Fisto, Tiin and Kolar easily, and for all we know, they could be greater fighters than Obi-Wan, especially Saesee Tiin considering he was a long-term member on the Jedi High Council.

20. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think Yoda would beat Anakin and Sidious would beat Obi Wan. Yoda's force powers are much stronger than Obi's, and he couldn't overtake Sidious. Anakin would have been outmatched in every way against Yoda IMO.

21. Nikos

Nikos Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2013
    Well about Yoda vs. Anakin.. Well Yoda is not such a skilled duelist as Anakin.. His power lies only with the Force, but Anakin did become a powerful force user.. Yoda would have as a weapon his jumping.. This would be Anakin's only weakness but I think Anakin would still win, or the fight would end as stalemate.. Lucas said that Anakin was twice Sidious.. So, I think Yoda had no chance..

Now for Obi vs. Sidious.. Hmm, no way Obi Wan would beat him.. Obi had the Soresu thecnique and it would help him to defend himself for some period of time, but soon he would get tired and Sidious seeing the chance would blast him with lightning.. Also Obi won Anakin only by luck.. Anakin fought better and would beat Obi if the fight continued without the high ground.. I think Kenobi never knew the skill of Anakin in the saber in that period of time.. But when he did, he realized that only with luck he could beat him.. And he knew that the only thing he had to do was to use his saber technique all the best and find while fighting a weakness of Anakin, which had to with hs wisdom and not his skill..

kainee likes this.
  22. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    obiwan out dueled anakin. anakin can surely out duel sidious. so obiwan would be able to out duel sidious. yoda was on par with sidious in dueling. which is why anakin would beat him as well.

sidious/yoda are primarily force users. which explains why mace beat sidious in the duel rather quickly. i dont think sidious/yoda would stand a chance in this fight

23. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think that Obi-Wan would necessarily be able to out-duel Sidious (nor Anakin, for that matter, despite his bravado that he could "overthrow the Chancellor"). Don't forget, Obi-Wan beats Anakin, but Anakin beats Dooku and Dooku beats Obi-Wan, so it isn't all that simple. There's no guarantee that either Anakin nor Obi-Wan could have overcome Sidious.

Yoda himself tells Obi-Wan that he is not strong enough to face the Emperor, and I see no reason for him to lie concerning this issue.

In my opinion, Yoda and Sidious would have emerged victorious in the proposed scenario and then Sidious would have gone on and defeated Yoda (as occurred in the films).

The reason I say this is that Anakin, while powerful, is not at Yoda's level (in my opinion) and even if he was, I think he would have likely been unstable given his recent transition to the Dark Side. And given that Yoda is defeated by Sidious, I think it's likely that Obi-Wan would have been as well.

kainee likes this.
  24. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    I do... I see this as a "certain point of view" moment for yoda.

yoda wanted to make sure that obiwan could kill darth vader. he wanted to put them against each other. IMO to make sure that obiwan could do what needed to be done. I also feel like yoda personally wanted to handle the emperor himself. since yoda was the grandmaster and probably felt somewhat responsible for the events that happened, and he knew it was his responsability to take out the emperor. as he knew it was obiwans responsibility to take out vader

thats just how I see it though. as for the dooku vs obi wan... i feel like dooku kinda caught obiwan off balance with a cheap force attack. and also i feel like obiwan isnt the greatest when its 2 vs 1 in his favor. remember in episode 1 when maul managed to whoop obiwan when it was qui gon & obiwan vs him. yet when the fight was 1 on 1, obiwan proved much better and ended up winning... so yeah its like up in the air haha

25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    kenobifan1999

I agree with you to an extent that Yoda may have desired to face Sidious in order to take responsibility, but I still don't think that diminishes the truth of his earlier words. If it were true that he believed Obi-Wan could defeat Sidious, then I would expect that Yoda would have had him try, at the very least.

In regards to Dooku vs. Obi-Wan, I simply think that Dooku has a style that Obi-Wan has difficulty countering, which is why I don't think that the fact that Obi-Wan defeated Anakin is indicative of much of anything else. I don't think a "cheap force attack" can account for for his loss because, don't forget, Dooku defeated Obi-Wan in AOTC as well. Plus, in AOTC, Obi-Wan was facing Dooku alone (after Anakin had been smashed against the wall due to his brash charge) and he still got taken got.

In general, I think that's why it's difficult to rank combatants in such a manner, because outcomes will be made on a very individual basis, taking into account a number of factors. If we could choose winners based on who defeated who, then one would expect Anakin to defeat Obi-Wan on Mustafar given that Obi-Wan was defeated by Dooku and Anakin killed Dooku. But that's clearly not how things played out.

Because we never get to see Obi-Wan battle Sidious, I base my choice of victor (Sidious) on Yoda's words since Yoda is very familiar with Obi-Wan and likely knows his limits. Also, Obi-Wan does not object when Yoda tells him he is not strong enough. I think he himself had recognized that Yoda was probably right.

Valairy Scot likes this.