main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I ended up figuring out those two steps myself for my art thread. Took me a bit, but hey, it was figured out. Kinda wish I read this topic first, though. Would have saved me a minute or two.

2. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Well, since I'm four years past 30 now, I thought I'd jump in. [face_dancing] Hi everyone.

3. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Hello! And welcome :)

Over thirty writing challenge would be great!

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    1) Age

30, whoa... I'm getting old. Ack!

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards?

Pretty much since 1999, off and on in FF and a great deal in RPF.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW?

Action Adventure and, sadly, Angst. Original Trilogy, as in 1977-1983. Han shot first!

4) Favorite characters and why?

Count Dooku, he's unknown really and a villain. I like the unknown villains. More fun to play with. And if they happen to be tragic heroes, all the better.

Grand Admiral Thrawn, blue alien genius, nuff said.

General Maximilian Veers, I really don't know why I like him. I think it has to do with the fact that he kicked rebel butt.

And OT Darth Vader, yeah I can like a specific version of him. Prequel Vader just ruins OT Vader imo. Anyway, he was the first villain I saw and for the same reasons as Dooku, I liked him right off.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you?

Good question. Sense of adventure I guess. Something I lack due to financial reasons. :(

And Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing.

Research anything new or don't know about. You will find more ideas surfing Wookieepedia for your stories while you research on something else entirely unrelated to what you may find.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Welcome! And I just realised I never filled that out. *snort* I'll get around to it sometime this week. Right now, Darth Rache is demanding my attention for the first time in a while.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't think I've ever filled that out, either. Oh well. I'll do it now!

1) Age:

31. In January, I'll be 32!

Ever since I escaped the TOS sinking ship back in 2011.

Hm. Action, psychodrama, action-drama, and nitty-gritty crime noir. OT all the way. Han shot first. :p

Hm... Well, Zuckuss is a subject of my fanfic because his character is rather interesting. Mental illness in the GFFA hasn't been explored very much, and to have one of the film characters be afflicted with it makes for some intriguing character development. Even though, the conditions were a retcon because writers simply did not know how to write Zuckuss consistently. [face_plain] After the retcon was introduced, the aspects of Zuckuss's mental health have not yet been explored. This could make for very intriguing literature and I know for a fact that Abel Peña would also be interested in reading such things. But, until some writer decides to tackle that, until some editorial mandate arises in which an author is contracted to write about Zuckuss's schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder... then I'll fill in those gaps.

Just something I grew up with and loved. Can't really say why.

Read your drafts aloud. Read all of it. Dialogue, prose, everything. Only when you hear your work spoken aloud are you able to pick up on nuances and mistakes you may have otherwise missed. If it sounds awkward, it definitely reads awkward.

Also, get into the habit of being your own editor. It helps to teach you how to spot mistakes and shortcomings and spurns you on to figure out how to fix those yourself. You won't always have a beta reader handy; there are many things you should learn to do for yourself.

7. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I know I didn't fill it out. :) Here goes.

1) Age

34, 35 in March.

Reading since about 2001 and writing since 2004 or so.

Drama and angst. The Original Trilogy. Han really did shoot first!!

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say Obi-Wan. The character is fun to write. You can take him absolutely anywhere you want.

I was around 4-5 years old when I saw Return of the Jedi in the theatre. Even at such a young age, I loved every bit of it. It was the first movie to really pull me in and make me feel like I was actually a part of the universe I was watching. Not too many movies and/or books have been able to do that for me. So, Star Wars will always hold a special place.

Don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone as a writer. Reader replies aren't the sum total of what you've created, they are only a small part, and not even the most important part. If you're happy with what you've written, then you have succeeded.

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Will you thirty-something younglings stop whining about being old. There are people here almost two DECADES older than you. You are making us (meaning me) feel ancient. :p

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    You are! :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You sound like my sons.:mad:

Yeah...mom is old and doesn't know anything...until their computer freezes up and then it is "Mom, I need your help."
    o_O

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll be 41 in December. Still young.

12. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Welcome Commander Mitt! It's great reading y'alls info and getting a glimpse into your ff psyche.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Youngsters...mutters...wanders off...eh, what's the subject again?

Jade_Pilot and Takianna like this.
  14. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok, I'm here.... I never really left, but....

age: A high school freshman's lifetime beyond 30 [do the math is you must, I try not to.]
    how long reading/writing on these boards: Um, isn't that in the 'member since' thingy under our avatars? Anyway, well, officially early 2001, I lurked for most of 2000 though. So, like almost forever.
    fav genre/saga: OT and anything H/L but I am open to new things and enjoy excellent writing in any genre
    fav characters and why: Han Solo [ he's my 'buki' ] and Leia Organa. I cannot answer why without being sarcastic, so i will leave it at that. Sorry comes from hanging around certain tall, dark, & mysterious scoundrels too much.
    why is SW special to me: 5-25-1977. I was there from its beginning and will be there until my ending.
    fav writing tips: Write for yourself first. pay attention to constructive [ and not-so-constructive] criticism, but don't be afraid to dismiss it for you own preferences. It's your own art and only you can decide it is the way it should be. There is no way to please everyone or even most, so you might as well please yourself.

15. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Welcome J_Girl!

16. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks! I'm fresh back from CVI and catching up on my reading here and thinking of reposting my old fic now that it has been very extended since I left off here, ahem, some time ago. Just reading the fics here is really doing wonders for my writing mojo!

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You were at CVI? So was I when I heard the word that the boards were finally coming back that week. Even though Grimby came over to our booth and told us matter-of-fact... I still wasn't holding my breath. :p

18. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I hear you on that. I was hoping for the best, but expecting... well, doesn't matter. We are now here... mostly. I am hoping they fix the post limit very soon. It's tough catching up on fics when I am missing large portions of the posts to read. What's worse is that it is discouraging the posting of new fics [ or at least discouraging me] because it's a given they are not going to be seen in their entirety or have to be broken up into pieces that may not flow as nicely.....

.... and here I thought I had learned patience between being 'old' and being a SW fan (all those lines, lol) ;)

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    As far as I know, the character limit does not affect new posts; just the old. I've seen new posts that are three months worth of diary entries, and they're just fine. So, post away! Go nuts! :D

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    *runs into thread, though not quite 30, yet*

Trak is correct, new posts aren't affected by the character limit. New posts have a seemingly unlimited character allowance (though that's not sugestion for anyone to test this theory out ;) ) as I don't think anyone has had that problem on the temp or here.

*runs out of thread*

21. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh right, I remember reading something to that effect in the Admin thread now that I think about it. It's all so 'new' again.I'm glad you're hear to tell me these things.

I was actually frustrated reading some of the fics that have been cutoff. I'm in the process of re-reading mine before I post. It's been a few years. I always continued to write, I just never posted anywhere. I still have a tried & true beta helping me out, so I should be pretty set to go very soon.

Oh, and yes, I was at CVI all 4 days. Had a great time and was happy I went. How about you?

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I clocked in many an hour behind the Wookieepedia booth and had to sacrifice several panels that I wanted to attend, just so that someone would man the booth. But, it was a worthy sacrifice. I had a blast. When CVII rolls around, I'm signing up again to man the Wookieepedia booth.

23. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Sounds like you have a good plan!

24. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    The truncated posts are one of the reasons I'm glad that I write everything in a text document first, and don't just write it on the board.

TrakNar likes this.
  25. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I write my fics in a txt file first, then tweak it endlessly in previews and edits. They're mostly cosmetic changes, but once every blue moon I come up with something that totally changes the plotline . . . and, of course, that's the one I forget to save. *shakes fist at Murphy's Law*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.