main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Academy - Sense can be turned off!.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Tim Battershell, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't know if anyone has discovered that an active SENSE can be turned off again by re-pressing the Control - thereby allowing the Force Meter to recharge (provided that another long-term Force Power isn't active, of course!).

I've just come upon this while writing up a very detailed walkthrough - and it isn't in the manual (not really surprising as all the timings for that Power are wrong!) or in the Data Pad description.

I've tested and confirmed this on Ranks 1, 2 and 3.

2. desh

desh Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2012
    God, I loved this game so much. What does SENSE do again? I don't recall, it's been so long since I last played.

3. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    It allows Jaden to detect Mission Objectives, hidden enemies, keys etc. On higher ranks supplies and enemies' Health
    can be detected.

At first I thought Academy was an easier version of Outcast, aimed at the younger player - now I'm thinking that it's just as tough - if not more so; Setting for Setting!

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's much shorter certainly, I found it more fun to play. But I don't think it's as good as Outcast.

5. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree - what inspired my Outcast Walkthough (my first attempt) was the sheer attention to detail - even the loophole shutters have working controls!

OTOH, Academy has some nice additional Force Powers and Lightsaber techniques (which I would have liked to have seen in Outcast). Perhaps a blend of the two?

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Academy had some cool mods that made it more fun, at least that I managed to find. Dismemberment mod was great, seeing people's limbs come off as would happen in RL was highly entertaining.

The Jedi Knight series needs to carry on

7. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    I wonder if they put that on my copy, or in the 1.0.1 patch that I got from Lucasarts - plenty of arms etc. seem to fly off; no heads yet though!:D

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I downloaded my mods, the dismemberment one let you cut guys in half or chop of stormtrooper's heads.

9. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Are they still available?

Just successfully defeated Rosh and the Kothos Twins on Jedi Master - technique was simple!

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I used lucasfiles.com, but not been there for years.

All the bosses in Academy are easy, Boba Fett is the most difficult one overall. Dessan was much tougher than any boss in Academy

11. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    I found a tactic to get rid of Desann quickly and easily - doing Tavion (either by Lightsaber or the 'proper' way) took a lot longer! My favourite sparring-partner!

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Dessan can be dealt with fast, but beating him in a straight-out saber fight aside from crushing him with a pillar I thought was way harder than killing Tavion. Although, Ragnos-controlled Tavion is tough.
    Certainly Acdemy is easy if you are Dark Side

13. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Sent you my Desann recipies as a PM, like to know what you think of them!

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Must say I've never really tried those methods you brought up, then again it's years since I played Outcast. Normally I just flip around and slash at Dessan or back around the pillars and try to knock them onto him.

15. desh

desh Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2012
    I played Outcast after I played Academy, and I enjoyed Academy so much more. It had more depth in the lightsaber mechanics and I didn't have to play without my lightsaber for half the game. Sure, the story is probably better in Outcast, but I hardly pay attention to story in FPS games. I played through Academy at least three times, once as light side only, then dark side only, then a mix. I think my favorite mission was a Bespin type mission, and I had put enough points into Force:Grip, so I could force grip people, and then dangle them over the edge and...drop. Loved that so much.

I also had playthroughs for standard lightsaber, duel lightsaber, and staff lightsaber. I think I need to go play this game right now!

Did you know that with Mind Trick there was a level 4 that you could only achieve through cheat command in the console? This allowed you to take control of an enemy and walk around with him and whatnot.

Tim Battershell likes this.
  16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Outcast and Academy were great. Its a shame my Outcast disk hiding around here somewhere. I will probably replay both of them at some point, especially if I can find my Outcast disk.

Tim Battershell likes this.
  17. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    That would be Tier 2 - Covert Mission, Kril'dor; would it not? I tend not to use GRIP (I get more than enough stick from Kyle and Luke about maxing-out RAGE and LIGHTNING!) but do you happen to know if those 'kills' are counted on the Mission Stats Screen? PUSHing foes over the edges doesn't (Drat!)!

Yep! IIRC, the Cheat settings go up to Rank 9! If you spawn some extra NPCs and do a Cheat-Rank MIND TRICK on one or two of them, they will have a battle-royal right in front of you (though it's best to put Jaden in God-mode first particularly if there are going to be powerful Force Powers or Concussion Rifles invoved - e.g. Rax Jorris vs Alora!) also, operate the MIND TRICK Control again once you make them start fighting (fire or slash while still in direct command), so they go independent (and Jaden's Avatar dosn't die when they do!)

I did that in the Garbage Crusher Hall (Nar Shadaa) on Outcast once - two Tavions vs Desann - highly entertaining (and they beat him at the cost of one Tavion)! The survivor then promptly JUMPed into a Crusher and committed suicide!

18. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I picked up both Outcast and Academy from a friend last year - Academy had a lot of replayability simply because you had the species/gender options and the different saber styles. Then after that I started nosing through download sites for custom multiplayer models. skins, weapons, and maps. There are some seriously dedicated nutcases out there - I had a lot of fun reenacting the battle of Helms Deep, except with clonetroopers, battle droids, stormtroopers, Wookiees, Noghri, Jedi, Sith, and/or Yuuzhan Vong :D

19. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Lord I loved those games. I found Academy to be easier overall, especially if you go Dark Side, but to also have a greater replay value, due to being able to switch styles and appearances. I beat Outcast and then really only played it on multiplayer, whereas I must have replayed Academy at least 6 times with a different character and setup.

20. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    As an addition to my original post, I've now found that ABSORB and PROTECT can also be turned off again (immediately after activation, if desired) and RAGE can too - but after three seconds of use.