main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Darth Maul have lived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthanku, Sep 18, 2004.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Perhaps he was cocky after taking Dooku's head.....

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    That is the Star Wars: Cure-All, Fix-All whenever there is bad writing.

"Oh, that character LOOKED REALLY stupid? Well, he wasn't really dumb, he was just.... arrogant."
    :p

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm not certain if it's via book or the show (or both) but I recently heard that one of my fave EU chars is now in TCW's clutches. NOOO! :_| It's bad enough how they end Gilad's run in the *books* don't destroy him *again* in TCW, please! I liked him. And if they intro Thrawn in TCW, I am so just gonna *roll my eyes*!

I think they are too radical in the difference in manner of Obi and Ani between TCW and AotC and RoS....they simply *aren't* the same characters. They just *aren't*. Obi-Wan is the only Jedi in the films I even semi-like...this TCW jokster just *insults* Ewan and Alec's tragic character. :(

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You forgot one: He just followed the force. 8-}

5. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    FIXED.

:D

6. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I wasn't being serious :p

Though it shows you shouldn't try and aim for the head.

7. VadersPappy

VadersPappy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    Based on the previous two episodes, I believe Lucas really hates the Maul character he created, and possibly the fans who like him. He must regret creating a character who became more popular than Vader, at least to the younger fans.

8. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    That doesn't seem possible.

characters being popular is always a good thing. IF Maul wasn't popular than TPM would not have made the money that it did.

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Question I have for this forum is, was Maul's return better or worse than anticipated?

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Worse. Better to let it go or just expand his TPM role via Lucasian specializing editioning-tinkering than bringing him back into TCW, especially considering he was clearly dead in TPM.

So no, it reeked(hahahah reek get it!? no?) of EU-ish solutions.

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Mess with the movies, AGAIN?
    :p

You glutton for punishment....

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Much worse, It was not done well, now it's just the wannabe Sith brothers running around, I don't like it.

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Anybody read Sith Hunters yet?

I have the other (Shadow Conspiracy) comics on my digital darkhorse, but can't find that published comic anywhere locally. Not motivated enough to have one shipped to me. Anyways, I heard that book explains how he got off of Naboo with no legs and made it to Lotho Minor...

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Mmm...I guess I didn't really mind it so much. I mean, this has been getting telegraphed in the greater EU for years; Resurrection and Old Wounds, to be precise, plus Maul getting mentioned pretty regularly in books.

And no, haven't read Sith Hunters.

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The "brothers" reunion sucked, IMHO. Maul going from crazy muttering to "bad ass" in no time at all, not so plausible.

But since there's more to come, I'll give a definitive answer when the complete story is aired - barring any revisions to the revisions.

16. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    He DID LIVE.

Thanks to TCW we now know. I dont see how/why threads like this can still stay open when LFL actually literally addressed it. Couldn't we just take any conversations from here and have them over in TCW section? :rolleyes:[face_tired]

17. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I think Maul’s return should have been handled better. I remember reading an interview with GL some time after the release of TPM in which he stated that the way Maul’s defeat played out it was designed to leave the viewers no doubt about the certain death of the character.

Years later GL changes his mind about Maul’s fate and Filoni brings him back from the death. That’s okay with me, GL created SW and is allowed to go back and change things, but when you decide to bring someone back from “certain death” please do it properly. TCW answers the question of how Maul survived being cut in half: mainly his hatred for Obi-Wan. But how did he survive the fall into the very, very deep shaft and how did he get from Naboo to the planet Savage found him on? I later found the answers on Wookieepedia, which names its source as the novel “Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul”, but since TCW is the show that officially brings Maul back, those answers should be given in said show. To me it’s a sign of poor writing and a sign of laziness and/or indifference on the part of those in charge of the show when the viewers have to seek answers from other sources to get a more complete picture of what we have been shown.

But I guess that’s symptomatic for TCW: it raises more questions than it answers.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Maul was killed on Naboo in 32 BBY by Obi-Wan Kenobi performing a sai tok bisection and a fall into a melting pit. Lucas said as much in behind the scenes material for TPM in order to avoid a scenario like Boba Fett's survival in RotJ. I don't know who this character in TCW who claims to be Darth Maul, but he clearly isn't. Lucas can change his mind all he wants after the fact, but he can't make me believe the osik he concocted actually happened.

eht13, Paparazzo and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Maul should have lived past TPM during the movie years. None of the come back stuff in TCW. Obi-Wan should have beaten him but Sidious gets him and reconstructs him and him and Obi-Wan have a rematch in AOTC and then a final rematch in ROTS. Maybe Maul takes on Anakin in AOTC to get back at Obi-Wan

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hey SithStarSlayer , I see you revived "the thread". :p

Well, as I've said before, I thought that Maul shouldn't have been killed in TPM (even though I like Obi-Wan) and should have lived longer. Dooku could have been a politician working for Sidious without actually being his Sith apprentice.

However, they made Maul's death in TPM a non-debatable point, so that was that. That they brought him back in TCW obviously meant that they changed their minds, which I didn't like. Add to that that I think the Maul episodes (so far anyway) were very poorly executed, and well... guess that's that, haha. Revenge was better than Brothers, though, so I guess I'm curious what comes next (especially having read the spoilers). But I'm not optimistic about it being very good. :p

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Like Maul, it was never in need of revival. :p

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, the thread was never cut in half through the stomach and sent plummeting down a deep shaft to an obviously intended death. :p

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No, only the credibility of the story suffered that.

eht13 and SithStarSlayer like this.
  24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003