main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul Returns DVD (And other arcs you want to see in this format)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    i guess if i never open it... perhaps empty case would not matter? [face_thinking]

Anyone watch yet?

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    If it turned out to be an empty it'd be an even more rare and valuable collector's item. :p

I have a Target by me so I may be picking it up tomorrow. If you don't want to open yours keep it closed for now and I'll let you know what's up.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Will post my review of any changes this evening.
    I have Brothers burned onto my Station-3's HD, for ready comparison.

4. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Thanks... brother :p (is that you brother?)

5. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    I look forwards to "the Ashoka Tano best moments" DVD. They'll have to release it as a multi-disc boxset.

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Director's cut = $10 cash grab.
    Cheapest quality in every way, and... there wasn't anything new.

Looks good on the ps3 I must say, so that means Bluray for the upcoming season will be off the chain.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    You mean there was literally absolutely nothing new in it?? How can they advertise it as a director's cut if it's exactly the same??

8. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    My guess would be: because they edited it together without the newsreels? :p

Drewton likes this.
  9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    @DarkLordTarkas: Because it was four episodes that were edited into one. I even wondered how they could sell such a cheap case and when I looked inside the patent is still pending. I've seen better quality at a swap meet. Only has English, menu screen is the cover art... Just bare bones.

10. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    [​IMG]

That's what I kinda thought about that scene in ROTJ though xD

Blackout likes this.
  11. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Sounds like LFL these days

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    How you say, I R DISAPOINT

Drewton likes this.
  13. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I agree with SithStarSlayer. The packaging makes the DVD look like a bootleg and there are choppy glitches throughout the feature. I was only able to watch a little over half the DVD but it seems like there are no added scenes. What was changed, however, was the editing. Instead of going episode-by-episode, the feature overlaps the stories and makes it feel like they are all happening at the same time. For example, the feature begins with the diner scene in Brothers and transitions to the beginning of Massacre. Also, there is a new newsreel at the beginning that combines the backgrounds for all the episodes. The fortune cookie form Brothers is used.

I would say that you should get this if you want a slightly altered perspective of the order of the episodes but other than that, the quality of the DVD reflects the $10 price tag.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks a lot for that fistofan1 now I'm actually intrigued again. Perhaps all the uses of "sinister" and "brother" won't become so grating if they're spread apart a little better.

15. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I lol'd.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Humble_Jedi likes this.
  17. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    All things become better when they're spread apart a little better.

18. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    ...in a sexual way.

Humble_Jedi and LordMortis315 like this.
  19. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Thanks for the review fistofan1, I agree that a completely alternate edit would make this quite a different cinematic experience. Editing is one of the things that George used to make the original Star Wars so unique. Can you tell us how the different edit made this a better, worse, or different experience? Did it change the emphasis of certain storylines or make the flow better?

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  20. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

I'm real disappointed, my expectations are lowered for the season 4 blu-ray and the reported bonuses on it. Never the less, I'm going to skip this and pick that up for sure.

21. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Damn, you beat me to it. :p

Humble_Jedi likes this.
  22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    ....of blank discs.

Humble_Jedi, Heero_Yuy and Drewton like this.
  23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The flow is on point, the alterations were subtle and made it a better visual experience. If you are looking for mini-movie of those four episodes, you will get what you pay for. Just don't expect any sort of quality with regards to the hardcopy and its packaging.

24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Well maybe I'll look at it as a mediocre quality bootleg of an alternate cut of the episodes. For $10 that's not a terrible deal, i'm buying the blu ray of Season 4 for the full on experience, this was more of a collectible for me.

I'm interested in your description of the alterations being subtle. fistofan1's summary made it seem like the editing was drastically changed to show the narrative jumping around more. I may just bite the bullet and check it out... wonder if it will be on itunes...

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Only the diner-scene being moved, stood out... the narrative remains the same to me.
    If I could buy the Umbara arc in the same style with a better package; for the same price, I would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.