main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul Lives!? (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Savage_Oppress, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Except for the fact that the book takes quotes from Lucas from back in the '70s. That was the whole novelty of these books, Lucasfilm allowed Rinzler to access notes and recordings that have been dormant in the archives for years. The Obi-Wan and Owen behavior when talking about Luke's father was due to the fact that they were talking about a grim subject and didn't know how to tell Luke that his father was betrayed and murdered by Vader. It just so happens that it works well with the retcon of Obi-Wan lying about it.

And Gry, you're right, that quote was the closest I could find to confirmation, but after you read these books it becomes obvious that Lucas evolved the whole story of Star Wars over time, it started out as a very different thing. He never had the prequels figured out, just a small synopsis. He always just had little ideas that grew or morphed as he wrote, directed, and then edited together the movies.

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I understand that, all I'm saying is that there has been a lot of mis-information over the years, lots of it from Lucas himself. Its hard to sift reality from fiction and I have difficulty believing that we're getting a 100% accurate history at this point.

From a 1982 Tribute Magazine distributed at Theaters:

"I began writing Star Wars in 1973 - eight hours a day, five days a week, from then until March, 1976, when we began shooting. In fact I wrote four entirely different screenplays for Star Wars, searching for just the right ingredients, characters and storyline." - George Lucas.

I can't really prove this, but my feeling is that these historical comments and making of stories are a mixure of fact and fiction that have become unitentionally altered over the course of 30 plus years of Star Wars.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. What I may not have made totally clear in my post was that I think Lucas may have given that direction without any more to it at the time; not that Guinness or any other actors actually knew yet about Vader being Luke's father.

Also wanted to mention that the example about Owen is a good one too. Having Owen get upset about Luke talking to Obi-Wan, and even moreso having Owen say "that's what I'm afraid of" in regards to Luke having "too much of his father in him" seems to be a nice little hint of things to come. As if there could really be more to it than just that Vader killed Luke's father.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's what I said. And if that proof happens in a later film, we can call it a retcon.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    +1

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I prefer to call that straight forward story telling. So long as its a change that fits without needing to rewrite, or reshoot anything, I don't see the point of assigning fancy terms.

None the less your definition is correct in the grand scheme of things even if it doesn't represent the common usage of the term.

7. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Humble_Jedi likes this post.

(^ Yeah folks, better get used to the likes already) :p

I actually meant to say that I agree.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It does represent the common usage.

9. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    Maul lives?!?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I have been away since the last season ended and I hoped they would change their minds....... DAMN! :eek:

Inblackestnight and Drewton like this.
  10. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Yeah, and they had him grow spider legs. No joke.

11. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, and spouting gibberish like Gollum.

I still pride myself in calling that months before it aired.

12. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    I love how many threads are dedicated to Ahsoka here... fascinating.

13. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    This is not one of them. :p

14. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    not yet...... [face_devil]
    [/quote]

Huyang and Paparazzo like this.
  15. Black Sun 4 Life

Black Sun 4 Life Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2012
    Anything is possible withy the Force. It is the Ultimate Technobabble!!!!

16. Dave Failoni

Dave Failoni Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2012
    EDIT: Really?

GGrievous likes this.
  17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Seems legit Dave

18. Black Sun 4 Life

Black Sun 4 Life Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2012
    Your technobabble cannot stand against the power of the Force!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This is getting out of hand. :p

20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I wish they had just left Maul dead. I guess we will see if that opinion changes as Season 5 airs. But right now it's just hard for me to accept that there is any true reason to bring him back other then playing up the Maul fan base.

21. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
  22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If he doesn't do anything to affect the galaxy, then there is no denying the last sentence that you wrote.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It seems like in the S5 trailer, Maul has real legs instead of mechanical ones

24. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Because apparently he's one of Lucas' favorite characters, and when Lucas wants to do something, the fans can just deal with it as far as he's concerned (look no further than the constant revisions to the films). I don't remember the exact source (I think one of the Filoni Q&As), but I recall reading that Filoni objected to Grievous losing too much because it weakened the character, and Lucas just said "it will be fine," or something like that. Filoni also mentioned that he did not know where Lucas was heading with the whole Maul-in-crystal-ball thing back when they were working on Season 3. Just seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and I would imagine that the stories ultimately suffer. For instance, what was the point of a three episode arc building up the character of Savage if he serves no purpose other than to bring Maul back? I wonder that if Dave had known that Lucas was building up to a return of Maul, and if he had known that Savage would only be of minimal importance before being rendered redundant, if that would have changed things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.