main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ID4: Resurgence kicks the tires and lights the fires in 2016 (ID4 3 to follow?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    The only way they can really make a sequel is if it involves hunting down any aliens who survived the first movie.

The plot was that the invaders moved their WHOLE CIVILIZATION from planet to planet. By the end of the film, they were practically extinct.

2. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    There was never any explicit or implicit indication movie that the invasion squad represented the entire alien civilization.

Actually, I take that back...Pullman did say they were like locusts that "consume" every natural resource, so I guess you could argue that since he didn't use the word "procure", that meant they weren't just trying to acquire them for use back home but had to use them for sustenance. But I think the wording is ambiguous enough for it not to be an issue.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While the film does indicate the entire civilization is nomadic, moving planet to planet, at no point does it establish that the Mothership and it's deployed forces are the entirety of that civilization. I'd assume they'll be moving forward on the notion that their civilization is comprised of multiple Motherships, spread out to increase their chances of acquiring resources from suitable worlds (and, perhaps, avoiding conflict over resources between Motherships, etc).

I wonder if they'll be moving towards space combat in these sequels. The earliest rumors of an ID4 sequel over the past 15 years involved Earth retro-engineering alien tech. Clearly the Attacker fighters can go and fight in space. It wouldn't be hard to assume that the City Destroyers can as well- which they would need to since I would assume their typical "deploy, wait, coordinate and attack" pattern would be anticipated this time around. Those superlasers have gotta be able to do some damage from orbit, even if they're not as effective as a low atmo strike.

4. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, a civilization could never become a space-faring nomadic civilization without first having been a sedentary civilization, so they undoubtedly have a home planet of some kind. Perhaps an E.L.E befell it and they were forced to go searching for a new homeland?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Really? It had his feel all over it. Oh well.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I assumed that they consumed all the resources on their own world and were forced to seek out others to consume, or some natural balance (a rival or predatory species) that previously kept them in check drove their technological development to the point where they overcame it, leading to the above scenario as their population became unsustainable with their natural drive to consume undeterred during their development prior to the unbalancing.

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Wow, you read an awful lot into a light-in-thought summer block-buster movie. I don't think the writers had that much thinking invested into the movie.

8. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    "I saw his thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do. They're like locusts. They're moving from planet to planet... their whole civilization. After they've consumed every natural resource they move on... and we're next"

The only thing that they spread out would be their recon scouts, three of which were unlucky enough to crash their plane in Roswell. The others make it back to base, report that the planet is habitable, the population is technologically inferior, and are both still busy trying to reconstruct from the last big war while being on the cusp of starting a brand new one.
    The invaders did their research, then decided to move their entire civilization to Earth. If there is another ship, it would have been following close behind, and would most likely be strictly for colonization. The military goes in and takes control and makes it safe for the rest of them.

They just weren't counting on Apple software being compatible with their computers. :p

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Power to the Save the World. :D

Well, spreading out is just my speculation of how the sequels will treat it if they take the multiple-ships approach. Having multiple ships doesn't negate this p[articular Mothership being the one sent to us "next".

You know, sort of a "Mothership 199-6, you've got the Sol III assault. Mothership 199-7, you get Andromeda IV..." etc.

Well, that statement is only reading into it so far as to theorize how an advanced civilization such as theirs could have developed and continued their locust-like behavior.

That said, I admit I put a lot of fan fic analysis into ID4 back in the day, writing my own fan tech manual for it (at least partially, never finished it, IIRC). At the time, it was the best thing since Star Wars, and contributed to my interest in movies, trailers, wav trading and Apple Quicktime, so I was eating it up. :D

Even made some ID4 custom card images in the style of the SW CCG (yes, theyre terrible and involve some injokes like "trivia master" skills, but it was fun):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Souderwan and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    But the real question is do you own one of these bad boys? :cool:

[​IMG]

11. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I think I still have one in a box somewhere...

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    IN ITS ORIGINAL PACKAGING??? :eek:

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Was that the game that came with a bunch of Micro Machine-like toys of an F/A-18, the alien fighter, and one of their city-destroyer ships?

Anyway speaking of ID4, it's really quite depressing watching those scenes of the world uniting against the aliens (Egypt and Israel! lololol) and then seeing the world as it actually is today.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah, I believe the toy that came with this one was an alien (with little alien inside the head) and if I recall correctly the game involved assembling one of the alien spaceship weapons.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

16 years later, and I've still got that magazine. :cool:

16. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Ah yes, the toys that spoiled a part of the movie.
    [​IMG]

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Independence Day 2: Thanksgiving Day [face_not_talking]

18. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Already taken by Eli Roth as a feature length production of his faux Grindhouse trailer.

EDIT -- Perhaps they could do Next Independence Day.

Hey it worked for Next Friday, The Next Three Days, and The Next Karate Kid.

19. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    The Day After Tomorrow is Independence Day in 2012: Stargates of the Patriot Godzilla

20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    ^ Hey, that would have been an awesome movie. The aliens return, but in the middle of their attack, 2012 happens, and then we're both screwed. :p

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    And we have to band together with the aliens to stay alive? That sounds great. Throw in "United" somewhere in that title.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I can't be the only one that thought this movie was awful. You... you all like this movie ironically, right?

Right?

23. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I absolutely hate this movie. Everything about it stinks...

...except Will Smith.

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    You aren't. I'm sure it will be a shock to many that I thought the movie was lame.

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Of course!