main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Film Releases & Trends of a Decade Retrospective: The Nineties A-Z. Now Disc: 1993 D-G

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 15, 2009.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I liked K-19 a lot. Harrison Ford was really great; I used to kind of unofficially end his career with Air Force One as his last truly great performance, but K-19 made me redraw that graph. Peter Sarsgaard is also really fantastic, actually the best thing in the movie, I think. And I think it's also my favorite Klaus Badelt score. My favorite by like ten miles or something. It's way better than anything else I've heard of his work.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Die Hard With a Vengeance was the first DH movie I saw (and I still don't think I've seen the first in it's entirety, just large chunks here and there, plus The Cleveland Show's version ;)) so it's ahrd for me to find too much fault with it (otehr than, in retrospect, I can see how it's too similar in villains to the first)

It's been too long since I've seen K-19 to evaluate Ford's performance in retrospect, as his fall from grace wasn't so apparent at the time (I recall liking his work in What Lies Beneath, despite Zemeckis's insistence on ruining the film in the trailer). I think I was more distracted by the overall movie.

So long as it has a Reznor-produced cover of "Under the Sea" set to a title sequence by Blur studios, sure, why not? ;)

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Notable releases:

N
    Narrow Margin
    The Nasty Girl
    Navy SEALs
    The Neverending Story II: The Next Chapter
    Nightbreed
    Nuns on the Run
    The Nutcracker Prince

P
    Pacific Heights
    Piece of Cake
    Postcards from the Edge
    Predator 2
    Presumed Innocent
    Pretty Woman
    Problem Child
    Pump Up the Volume

Q
    Q&A
    Quick Change
    Quigley Down Under

R
    The Reflecting Skin
    Repossessed
    The Rescuers Down Under
    Revenge
    Reversal of Fortune
    RoboCop 2
    Robot Jox
    Rock 'n' Roll High School Forever
    Rockula
    Rocky V
    Romeo-Juliet
    The Rookie
    Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
    The Russia House

T2Q Comments:

-The Neverending Story II: The Next Chapter: While inferior to the original, there's still a bit of "Return to Oz" darkness in some of the elements here (much like in Flash Gordon, the notion of slowly having your memories slowly taken from you is disturbing), even if the film largely retreads much of the first (replacing The Nothing with The Emptiness, etc).

Still, as a kid, it was a sequel to The Neverending Story, recasting those nobodies with The Flash and Lucas from seaQuest. So, it was a solid sell. :)

-Predator 2: "He's in town, with a few days to kill." :cool: This one is underrated, IMO. While not the classic the first one is, it does really establish a lot of the Predator species code of conduct and various other traits. The only real flaw here is the decision to set it in a then-near-future 1997 where LA has been taken over by gang wars. I don't think that was necessary, as it oddly dates the film in an alternate-universe type way.

Plus, it has Gary Busey. :D

-Problem Child: Loved these as a kid, haven't watched them since. Don;t know if they'd hold up or not. Just remember "Bad to the Bone" being, essentially, the theme song.

-Repossessed: Found this very funny when I was younger- and I didn't even see The Exorcist for some time after that (not until it was rereleased in theaters with the new footage).

-RoboCop 2: It doesn't have the biting satire of the first film, true, but it does have RoboCop fighting as awesome evil robot controlled by a drug dealer's brain... that's far out enough to be enjoyable ("BEHAVE yourselves!!"). Also, Kaine's virtual face (especially when he screamed) is a great example of low-rez graphics being far more disturbing and creepier than some HD-perfect CGI.

-Robot Jox: Saw parts on cable all the time. Some cool bot designs.

-Rocky V: The Rocky I've seen the least but also lack any fond recollections of. It does get credit for trying to do something different, however.

Movies I (probably) Want See
    -Navy SEALs (if only to fully enjoy the meme ;))
    -Nightbreed
    -The Nutcracker Prince
    -Pacific Heights
    -Postcards from the Edge
    -Presumed Innocent
    -Pump Up the Volume
    -Q&A
    -Quick Change (seen it on cable long ago, but don't remember much)
    -The Rescuers Down Under
    -Revenge
    -Robot Jox
    -The Russia House
    -The Rookie

Overall Trends:

It seems I'm willing to give a lot of movies a pass if they feature a cool robot... :p.

Problem Child would become a mini-franchise. RoboCop would falter after this point despite numerous continuations and reboots. Rocky would end as a franchise for over a decade because of Rocky V. Neverending Story would get one more sequel (though I never watched it, and I think it was DTV).

Predator 2 would stall a direct third entry for almost 2 decades but would simultaneously propel the Aliens vs Predator connection for just as long (for both the highs and lows that pairing would bring).

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Nuns on the Run
    Can't really remember much more than a fat guy pretending to be a nun. I think I thought it was pretty funny though, I was 8 after all.

Pretty Woman
    One of the most classic romantic films of all time. It's simply perfect.And yes I can quote most of it by heart.

The Rescuers Down Under
    I actually haven't seen this one, but I'm surprised that it isn't older. I have memories of being a kid and finding the book version so scary that I didn't dare read it by myself.

Films I'd like to see
    Postcards from the Edge
    Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Trends
    I was 8 so I was mostly into simple,funny comedies and romantic films.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I almost added Pretty Woman to my list of romcoms but, while I haven't seen it end to end, I think I saw enough of it often enough from when my mom watched it when i was a kid that I'm still sick of it regardless ;).

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Postcards from the Edge: Amusing, but it's the slightest film from Nichols that I've seen.

Predator 2: Actually kinda fun. I don't know what everyone's problem with it is. It's not the first film, sure, but it does a few interesting things here and there. The ending is a real surprise.

Pretty Woman: There are moments within the film where it's tolerable. And then Gere arrives in the limo, and it eats my soul.

Q&A: Nasty little Lumet film, but like a lot of his work in this period, it just never clicks.

The Rescuers Down Under: Saw this ages ago. Should probably take a gander again, if only to see how Disney envisions my native land.

Reversal of Fortune: Not a total success, but Irons just lifts everything. Amazing, witty performance.

Rocky V: It's better than Rocky IV. Seriously. It at least challenges the characters, breaks the formula, and feels like it could reasonably be a part of the same world as the first film.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I enjoyed Q&A a lot. Nolte is nearly career best in it and it's pretty grim. Bit long though and Hutton doesn't quite have the arc you want him to ahve. But it's pretty gripping in places.

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Yeah, it's interesting and I loved Nolte's work. I just didn't think it was entirely cohesive. On the other hand, Night Falls on Manhattan is pretty much cohesive and yet it's also kinda dull.

There's a whole little subset of Lumet films that explore the grottyness of law enforcement specifically, with the trilogy as I see it being Serpico, Prince of the City, and Q&A, with other films that are in that halfway world between law enforcement and the justice system. It's his prime interest, no doubt.

9. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Granted on The Flash, not so much on Lucas - seaQuest didn't screen for another 3 years so the kid was another nobody at the time. :p

Haven't seen the film since it originally came out but The Nostalgia Critic highlighted how potentially bad it is (one of my favourite Critic episodes actually). And nothing can replace Tami Stronach as the Childlike Empress. [face_love]

Pretty Woman - the film that launched Julia Roberts to stardom (and in many ways relaunched Richard Gere after a few dodgy years). I find it OK, but nothing extraordinary.

Problem Child - watched this a million times as a kid. My first introduction to John Ritter. Interestingly enough Ritter would eventually marry the actress playing his wife in this film.

Quigley Down Under - passable Western film with the setting switched to Australia. I recall Tom Selleck being a bit ho-hum but Alan Rickman plays the villain so delightfully over-the-top.

The Rescuers Down Under - I prefer this one to the original actually. George C. Scott as the villain McLeish is really, well, vilanous I guess. And John Candy's Wilbur is more entertaining than the original Orville. But yeah, don't rely on it for a geography lesson.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good point on seaQuest. I'm probably blurring the memories together since I watched both TNS films a lot on video around that time, probably even when SQ was airing.

Of course, I think I saw the sequel before the original first too, which confuses the perspective.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Notable releases:

S
    The Sheltering Sky
    Shipwrecked
    Short Time
    A Show of Force
    Shreck
    Sibling Rivalry
    Side Out
    Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: Initiation
    Silent Scream
    Spaced Invaders
    Stanley & Iris
    State of Grace
    Stella

T
    Taking Care of Business
    Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
    Tatie Danielle
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Tekken
    Texasville
    Three Men and a Little Lady
    Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
    Tilaï
    Total Recall
    Treasure Island (Devil's Treasure)
    Tremors
    Troll 2
    Truly, Madly, Deeply
    The Two Jakes

U
    Uchu no hosoku
    Ultra Q The Movie: Legend of the Stars

V
    Vincent & Me
    Vincent & Theo

W
    Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael
    Where the Heart Is
    White Hunter, Black Heart
    White Palace
    Wild at Heart
    Wild Orchid
    The Witches

Y
    Young Guns II

T2Q Comments:

-Spaced Invaders: Really liked this one when I was younger, and parts of it still crack me up (the Jack Nicholson impersonator Martian going "When I say 'woe!' I MEAN 'WOE!'") and the semi-Probe droid-like evil overseer robot was kinda creepy at times. The sort of meta-War of the Worlds thing is kinda clever too. Still a kids flick but I like it.

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Really quite good- though perhaps I'm biased since I was a big Turtles fan back in the day. It's certainly the most serious of the live action ones (though the animated TMNT has some great dramatic moments that almost feel like a payoff to the Leo/Ralph material in this movie). Looking back at it, it's very close to the original comic (while the sequels leaned more towards the animated series).

Amusingly, Tremors came out this year, and it's the movie that Ralph sees in this film ("Where do they come up with this stuff?").

-Three Men and a Little Lady: Been too long since I saw this to comment much. i remember the original a little bit more.

-Total Recall: Arnold. Verhoeven. Cox. Ironside. Awesome. "Hey Louie! Screwww youu!" "Get ready for a surprise!" "Consider that a divorce.". Interestingly enough, they once planned a sequel to this based on Minority Report (long before the actual MR movie, obviously), with the clairvoyants being Martian mutants.

-The Witches: The last movie Jim Henson worked on. I enjoyed both the book and movie quite a bit as a kid. For a kids film it has a good element of paranoia to it.

Shipwrecked
    State of Grace
    Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
    Treasure Island (Devil's Treasure)
    Tremors
    Troll 2
    The Two Jakes (Chinatown sequel)
    Ultra Q The Movie: Legend of the Stars
    White Hunter, Black Heart
    Young Guns II

Overall Trends:

TMNT would spawn 3 sequels and a forthcoming reboot, Tremors would spawn many sequels and a Tv spin-off, no more Three Men and a ___ films were made. Silent Night, Deadly Night is a franchise I've never even heard of, but they apparently made 5 of them. Total Recall would get a TV series version and a forthcoming remake. The planned third Chinatown movie never happened.

EDIT- Whoops, didn't mean to make a double post, oh well.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You're quoting Total Recall and you don't throw in "See you at the party, Richter!"? Come on!

13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    The Sheltering Sky: Good until it falls in a heap in the third act, where it tries to become something else entirely. Amazing cinematography though, the best desert photography since Lawrence of Arabia.

Vincent & Theo: Non-functioning, kinda really dull Altman experiment that nonetheless features a few good performances. But it's not really worth anyone's time.

Wild at Heart: A real blast.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For the sake of brevity I had to restrain myself, otherwise I'd be quoting half the movie- so i stuck to the two lines I quote often in real life and one that was in every trailer/spot for the film ;).

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The year 1990 in review- what's worth seeing (once or several times?), what's worth keeping?

Skimming back through the lists I posted, here's my personal selections (and, as always, I encourage folks to skim back through the lists and make their own):

Worth Keeping: (aka: get the DVD!)
    -Back to the Future Part III
    -Die Hard 2
    -Edward Scissorhands
    -Gremlins 2: The New Batch
    -The Hunt For Red October
    -Predator 2
    -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    -Total Recall

Worth Seeing a Few Times: (aka: maybe get the DVD)
    -Darkman
    -Days of Thunder
    -Ernest Goes To Jail
    -Home Alone
    -Kindergarten Cop
    -RoboCop 2
    -Robot Jox
    -Spaced Invaders
    -The Witches

Worth Seeing Once: (aka: rent it or get it in the $5 bin at Best Buy or Walmart)
    -Dances with Wolves
    -Dick Tracy
    -DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp
    -Fire Birds
    -The Freshman
    -Goodfellas
    -Hamlet
    -Rocky V

If It's on Cable: (aka: not completely awful, but no need to intentionally seek it out)
    -Captain America (ok, well, yes, this actually is completely awful, but that's why it's worth seeing as a curiosity ;))
    -The Guyver
    -Look Who's Talking Too
    -My Blue Heaven
    -The Neverending Story II: The Next Chapter
    -Repossessed

List of Films I Still (Probably) Want To See:
    -Awakenings
    -Bad Influence
    -Blind Fury
    -The Bonfire of the Vanities
    -Bride of Re-Animator
    -Child's Play 2
    -Class of 1999
    -Come See the Paradise
    -Crash and Burn (Robot Jox 2)
    -Cry-Baby
    -Death Warrant
    -Desperate Hours
    -Dreams (Akira Kurosawa's Dreams/I Saw a Dream Like This/Such Dreams I Have Dreamed)
    -The Exorcist III
    -Flatliners
    -The Fourth War
    -The Godfather, Part III
    -Green Card
    -The Grifters
    -The Guyver (rewatch)
    -Hard to Kill
    -I Come in Peace
    -I Love You to Death
    -It
    -Jacob's Ladder
    -Joe Versus the Volcano (rewatch)
    -King of New York
    -Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
    -Lionheart
    -Marked for Death
    -Memphis Belle
    -Miami Blues
    -Midnight Ride
    -Miller's Crossing
    -Misery
    -Navy SEALs
    -Nightbreed
    -The Nutcracker Prince
    -Pacific Heights
    -Postcards from the Edge
    -Presumed Innocent
    -Pump Up the Volume
    -Q&A
    -Quick Change
    -The Rescuers Down Under
    -Revenge
    -Robot Jox
    -The Russia House
    -The Rookie
    -Shipwrecked
    -State of Grace
    -Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
    -Treasure Island (Devil's Treasure)
    -Tremors
    -Troll 2
    -The Two Jakes (Chinatown sequel)
    -Ultra Q The Movie: Legend of the Stars
    -White Hunter, Black Heart
    -Young Guns II

Next: 1991

As I somewhat expected given the distance of time, more limited viewing interests (or age appropriateness) and hazy cable recollections, there are far fewer films I can easily classify at this point in time- and many more I haven't seen. Though that'll no doubt be reduced as we start to move forward (especially once we hit 1995/1996, which were the years when I started to really be a hardcore film fan and hit theaters almost weekly, get excited about upcoming movies, etc).

16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Worth Keeping
    Dances with Wolves
    The hunt for Red October
    Pretty Woman
    Young Guns II

Worth seeing a few times
    Air America
    Die Hard 2
    Gremlins 2 The New batch
    Home Alone
    Green Card
    Three Men and a little Lady

Worth seeing once
    Back to the future III
    Kindergarten Cop
    Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles

If it's on cable
    Cadillac Man
    Look who's talking too
    Memphis Belle
    Nuns on the Run

List of film I want to see
    Bonfire of the Vanitites
    Awakenings
    Edward Scissorhands
    The Handmaiden's Tale
    Hamlet
    Postcards from the Edge
    The Rescuers Down Under
    Rosenkrant and Guildenstern are dead

If I look at these films I think it's clear that my list is dominated by family films, or romantic films that my mother and sisters liked. The exception is The Hunt for Red October, and for now I can't remember if I read the book or saw the film first. Anyway that lead me into a Tom Clancy period that lasted quite a few years.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead is a pretty weird movie, but I enjoyed it. Oldman and Roth are both very good in it. You know, in the roles as written, which don't exactly require a lot of stretching.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, finally able to get back to this project. Been eager to resume it. New boards, new year to look back on...

(with the new boards not converting formatted text to basic text, I'm going to just let the title lists stay as bullet points with cast/crew links as it'll just take far too long to delete them all with the pickier formatting interface of the new boards)

Notable releases:

A
    B
    C

T2Q Comments:

-The Addams Family: Flawed, but enough of an enjoyable update/reworking of the original to give it something to go on. Raul Julia being the highlight here. The sequel would refine things further, though.

-All I Want For Christmas: Vague memories of watching this. I was more interested in Leslie Nelson's appearance as Santa due to the Naked Gun films, than I was in the Miracle on 34th Street clone elements. Other than that, an unmemorable family movie seen as a kid.

-An American Tail: Fievel Goes West: I'm sure I saw this but can't recall specifics from this or the original. Was never one for rewatching any of the Bluth animated films, outside of Titan A.E. (even though he wasn't involved with the sequel). I recall there being the play area they had at Universal Studios Orlando themed around it, but never really went to that attraction.

-Backdraft: This one I liked. Some good action sequences (the fire effects and such are pretty great), supported by music that would become one of the most famous trailer tracks of all time: Burn It All (probably best known for it being the main music used in almost all of the trailers and TV spots for The Lost World Jurassic Park). The rest of the score has some other highlights too, but that's the clear winner. Plot overall isn't too shabby either- not classic but still good.

-Beauty and the Beast: It's not a story aimed at me, but its hard not to appreciate some of the songwork and animation that went into it. Disney in it's modern golden age.

-Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey: When I was younger, I found this to be a somewhat disappointing sequel compared to the original- I still enjoyed parts of the film, but I disliked the more cartoony BTTF2-style of the future compared to the sleeker, more serious/spiritual designs in the original's future sequence. I also missed the umbrella-style antenna on the Booth.

I had also read the novelization before I saw the actual movie, and there was so much in the novelization that wasn't in the movie (but may have been cut out of the film... this movie really needs a special edition/director's cut!) and some stuff that probably never was there but were still great additions (like Bill & Ted cashing in on their multiple victories over death for multiple resurrections after the Bad Robot Us's keep killing them at the end).

Anyways, the movie's lack of novelization elements was disappointing, in conjunction with the aesthetic, etc. Loved the KISS song at the end, though.

That said, the film has aged very well and is still downright hilarious- I mean, what can be sad about William Sadler's portrayal of Death other than "Most Excellent"?

"Best of seven?"
    "DAMN RIGHT!"

-City Slickers: Very funny. Pretty much a classic comedy- certainly Billy Crystal's best comedy (at least of the ones I've seen/can't dismiss).

-Across the Tracks (early Pitt could be interesting)
    -Barton Fink
    -La Belle Noiseuse
    -Billy Bathgate
    -Boyz n the Hood
    -Bugsy
    -By the Sword
    -Cape Fear
    -City of Hope
    -Class Action
    -Closest Land
    -The Commitments
    -Company Business

Overall Trends:

As I mentioned above, Disney is in the middle of it's string of 4 classics/hits modern golden age that it would eventually ride out the decade on (even if it would peak with Lion King and sizzle out afterwards) alongside Pixar's emergence. Some sequels starting or picking up... others have potential continuations in our future (Bill & Ted 3).

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't remember much of Bugsy. Loved Barton Fink; it's still a really unique film in terms of its structure. Never saw Addams Family, just the sequel.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The original is more people going into the Addams world while the sequel was more the Addams going into our world.The effects for Thing were also pretty hyped up at the time, IIRC.

There was also this bit, 37 seconds into the trailer:

21. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Beauty and the Beast is high up on the list of any list of best Disney films, and rightfully so. The songs are some of the best, "Be Our Guest" and "Beauty and the Beast" are just superb every time you hear them. And it has Angela Lansbury, which means I am going to have some love for it regardless of quality.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the songs certainly haven't diminished with age.

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Wow, I remember... seeing about 6 of those movies.
    Backdraft: very hyped, but didn't impress me. (I'm sure everyone is shocked)
    American tale: yuck. That they made a sequel was even worse.
    Body Parts: I know I saw it, but can't remember a thing about it. Was that a horror movie? I think so... Yeah, that memorable.
    Beauty and the Beast: one of the 3 great musicals (along with Little Mermaid and Aladdin) that founded Disney's revival before the studio got cliche'd and hackneyed (again).
    Addams Family: Decent, if off-beat. Did like the second one better.
    Boyz n the Hood: I remember the news reporting that the theaters or studios (or both?) put together a special screening for the gangs so that they wouldn't... whatever they were afraid of. And it was a meh movie.
    Commitments: Uhg. If there was one more seen of the main "singer" pinching up his face to scream into the microphone, I was going to gag. Maybe you have to be into the music "scene" to enjoy that one.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not a fan of The Lion King in that context?

25. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Nor Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, Pocahontas, ... Then out of no where came Emperor's New Groove, which was way better than it had any right to be (even if Eartha Kitt's character didn't sing until the Direct-to-video awful sequel).